Systems monitoring-needed or overkill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That "engine gauge" looks like an electric tach , fun as a backup,

BUT a different gauge set selection could be mechanical and owner set to blow a horn or secure the engine when pre set limits are reached.

https://www.fwmurphy.com/products/gauges

A delight for helm seat occupiers that do not have a concept of engine parameters.

Corky, are you going with the color CAT displays?

Nice setup.

What are the two large displays? Are those Maretron displays, or monitors driven from a computer?

The two large displays up top are 13" Maretron. The whole system is on a NEMA 2000 network. The cool thing about the Maretron's is that they can be configured in any way that you want. You can create what you want displayed. Drag, drop and size the gauge, graph or picture where ever you want it. You can make it analog, digital or combination of the two. You can name and save each configuration. You can add background pictures too. Each screen that you create is added to the main menu. I spend hours playing with the Maretron's, creating different screens. Weather, running, anchor, engine or I can use them as displays for the cameras. I use the small Garmin screens at both sides of the Maretron's to display important info that I can see at a glance like Depth, Rudder Angle, Engine Speed, RPM, GPH etc.. The 4" Garmin's can also be programed to display different info. They can be configured to show 1,2,3 or 4 things. Of course the large Garmin multi displays below can be configured but are not nearly as powerful as the Maretron's. My only issue with the Maretron's (and it's a BIG ISSUE) is that they are excruciatingly SLOOOWWWWWW!! They use their N2K software. They discontinued the 13" display. They do not have a replacement for it. Now they offer their black box with their N2K software and you use whatever touch screen monitor that you want. It's a hell of a lot cheaper solution. The 13" Maretron monitors were about $4k per.

Attachments

• electronics2_cropped (1).jpg
    electronics2_cropped (1).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I run the Maretron software on an Intel NUC computer out to a Hatteland display. It's super fast. Also, side benefit is that if your boat is on marina WiFi, you can remote into the computer to see what is going on. Without having to pay a monthly fee to Maretron in order to remotely see the boat.

I run the Maretron software on an Intel NUC computer out to a Hatteland display. It's super fast. Also, side benefit is that if your boat is on marina WiFi, you can remote into the computer to see what is going on. Without having to pay a monthly fee to Maretron in order to remotely see the boat.

Is it a touch screen where you can configure the display like a Maretron display? Actually you can do it with a mouse too as long as you're running the N2K Maretron software.

Last edited:
Is it a touch screen where you can configure the display like a Maretron display? Actually you can do it with a mouse too as long as you're running the N2K Maretron software.

It is. Once you have touch it is hard to go back. Also, my two PC screens flank the two Garmin MFD's, so it would be annoying having touch on the Garmins but not the PC Screens.

Attachments

• pcscreens-3062.jpg
    pcscreens-3062.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 64
It is. Once you have touch it is hard to go back. Also, my two PC screens flank the two Garmin MFD's, so it would be annoying having touch on the Garmins but not the PC Screens.

Oh Yeahhh!!

I'd love to see more pics of your boat.

Me too! & more glass helm pics would also be nice!:dance:

Thanks for your interest! Lots of pictures on the boat's blog. Here is a shortcut to just the "Electronics" posts. Pictures as well as text describing how I made the decisions, did the layout, and so on.

The blog shows 4 or so posts at a time, then at the bottom of the page is a "Previous" button to go back in time.

That work?

Category: Electronics - M/V Mahalo

Back
Top Bottom