Old 03-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I'm just finishing up a Chetco SeaGauge install for Pau Hana- the OEM gauges are of 1989 vintage and not very accurate.

The toss up was whether to replace all the gauges (volt, temp, oil and trans temps for 2 stations) or to take advantage of the capabilities of the onboard electronics and NMEA 2k connectivity.

I looked at all the systems, and chose Chetco after talking to Joe (owner and designer of the SeaGauge). Most important, the customer service is beyond first rate and easy to comprehend.

More after I get done.....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #22

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I have the Maretron system but have not added the remote sensing yet. That will be phase 3 at the end of this years cruising season. I had sensors added to all of the tanks, fuel, water, black water. Maretron has sensors for everything but it gets expensive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electronics2_cropped (1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	86401  

Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #23

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
I have the Maretron system but have not added the remote sensing yet. That will be phase 3 at the end of this years cruising season. I had sensors added to all of the tanks, fuel, water, black water. Maretron has sensors for everything but it gets expensive!
dirtdoc1, your helm speaks to me. Love it!
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
dirtdoc1, your helm speaks to me. Love it!
Me too, but then you don't have to install everything at once. It's pretty easy to ad other components as the years (& the wallet) go by.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maretrn.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	86403  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 AM   #25
Guru

City: Doha
Wow dirtdoc1, gauges certainly have come a long way since I had a copper pipe running engine oil up to a pressure gauge on the bridge, and a 15 ft long steel cable spinning to turn my tachometer.

Very nice job!
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"I'm spending too much money on my boat but I'm enjoying every penny of it!"

With the complexity of the systems being installed , you may get even more enjoyment in future years as electronic repairs are seldom pennies.

With this level of electronic goodies I would at least have a backup mechanical set of gauges on the engine , so a blown fuse wont stop a cruise.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:

Nice setup.

What are the two large displays? Are those Maretron displays, or monitors driven from a computer?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #28

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
With this level of electronic goodies I would at least have a backup mechanical set of gauges on the engine , so a blown fuse wont stop a cruise.
+1,000,000 For my project I am planning on gauges on engine for critical get home, and the rest glass...

Bulletproof redundancy AND technowizardry with just a couple of cables. I find wiring and plumbing to be the most troublesome items on any mode of transport, and the less the better.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #29
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Row View Post
1. tankage monitoring for fuel, water and black water as I do not like the wema system provided by Hampton
FWIW...

I've found the WEMA sensors are adequate, as are their gauges. About as good as any internal float system that uses resistance to estimate fluid levels, coupled with a fractional (sweep needle) display.

OTOH, it would be easy enough to change or augment the WEMA displays with something like the digital tank level gauges CruzPro offers. Those have the advantage of being "calibrate-able" so you can see gallons or liters or whatever instead of fractions. Many of the CP gauges (maybe all) also incorporate alarms you can set.

I've mated CruzPro fuel gauges to WEMA senders, not difficult. Even better if you can actually work out a way to follow their set-up directions.

The straight-line WEMA fuel sensors seem to be much less complicated -- and possibly more robust -- than articulated/floating arm sensors.

One thing about internal holding tank sensors is that many (most? all?) can eventually clog with uric acid crystals, and at the point the float... won't. Cleaning a WEMA holding tank sensor in this condition can be fairly easy; flush/rinse the tank to prep, remove the sender, rest it in diluted muriatic acid for a while, replace, done. We actually keep a spare, so I can do a quick change (every couple years or so), and clean up the just-replaced one at my leisure.

-Chris
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"I'm spending too much money on my boat but I'm enjoying every penny of it!"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine gauges.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	86412  
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #31
FF
Guru

That "engine gauge" looks like an electric tach , fun as a backup,

BUT a different gauge set selection could be mechanical and owner set to blow a horn or secure the engine when pre set limits are reached.

https://www.fwmurphy.com/products/gauges

A delight for helm seat occupiers that do not have a concept of engine parameters.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #32

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Corky, are you going with the color CAT displays?
Old 03-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Nice setup.

What are the two large displays? Are those Maretron displays, or monitors driven from a computer?

The two large displays up top are 13" Maretron. The whole system is on a NEMA 2000 network. The cool thing about the Maretron's is that they can be configured in any way that you want. You can create what you want displayed. Drag, drop and size the gauge, graph or picture where ever you want it. You can make it analog, digital or combination of the two. You can name and save each configuration. You can add background pictures too. Each screen that you create is added to the main menu. I spend hours playing with the Maretron's, creating different screens. Weather, running, anchor, engine or I can use them as displays for the cameras. I use the small Garmin screens at both sides of the Maretron's to display important info that I can see at a glance like Depth, Rudder Angle, Engine Speed, RPM, GPH etc.. The 4" Garmin's can also be programed to display different info. They can be configured to show 1,2,3 or 4 things. Of course the large Garmin multi displays below can be configured but are not nearly as powerful as the Maretron's. My only issue with the Maretron's (and it's a BIG ISSUE) is that they are excruciatingly SLOOOWWWWWW!! They use their N2K software. They discontinued the 13" display. They do not have a replacement for it. Now they offer their black box with their N2K software and you use whatever touch screen monitor that you want. It's a hell of a lot cheaper solution. The 13" Maretron monitors were about $4k per.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	electronics2_cropped (1).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	86422  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #34

I run the Maretron software on an Intel NUC computer out to a Hatteland display. It's super fast. Also, side benefit is that if your boat is on marina WiFi, you can remote into the computer to see what is going on. Without having to pay a monthly fee to Maretron in order to remotely see the boat.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I run the Maretron software on an Intel NUC computer out to a Hatteland display. It's super fast. Also, side benefit is that if your boat is on marina WiFi, you can remote into the computer to see what is going on. Without having to pay a monthly fee to Maretron in order to remotely see the boat.
Is it a touch screen where you can configure the display like a Maretron display? Actually you can do it with a mouse too as long as you're running the N2K Maretron software.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Is it a touch screen where you can configure the display like a Maretron display? Actually you can do it with a mouse too as long as you're running the N2K Maretron software.
It is. Once you have touch it is hard to go back. Also, my two PC screens flank the two Garmin MFD's, so it would be annoying having touch on the Garmins but not the PC Screens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pcscreens-3062.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	86443  
Old 03-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
It is. Once you have touch it is hard to go back. Also, my two PC screens flank the two Garmin MFD's, so it would be annoying having touch on the Garmins but not the PC Screens.
Oh Yeahhh!!

I'd love to see more pics of your boat.