Old 03-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: switching to a trawler from a cruiser

Many on the Forum have DeFever 48s. IMHO, they offer some attributes worth considering vs the 49. Both vessels*have a strong following and are not often on the market, especially in the PNW. Look up the Arctic Traveller's trawler training website. Jeff, possilby the most seasoned TF member, has a DeFever 49 and it located in Alaska.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #42

Kevin,

I made that switch, (Symbol 51 to Seahorse 52). For whatever its worth, neither one is all that comfortable running abeam.* My family owned 80's vintage Hatterases, and I was in awe of the LRC's, but I would be very apprehensive about the age. Any 30 YO boat is going to be a handful to keep working especially in our neck of the woods. I am in Whittier also (M-4, Cliffside),* Are you aware that SALSA is available in Seward at a price that is hard to believe. You could have a 60 Hatteras...., and the fuel bill...

Mike

akboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

David,

Are you saying the 4-53 DD has vibration issues? Hard to imagine that as they must have the same number of power strokes as a Buick straight eight. I wonder why they made the 4-53 and the 3-71 as they both have basically the same displacement.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #44
FF
Guru

"A Hatteras LRC repowered with John Deere's would be nearly perfect though."

If you want smooth a pair of rebuilt 3-71 would cost 1/5 of a pair of Deeres.

If you prefer modern with electronic injection a pair of International 466's would be my choice , at about the same cost as the rebuilt '71's.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Quote:
akboater wrote:
Kevin,

I made that switch, (Symbol 51 to Seahorse 52). For whatever its worth, neither one is all that comfortable running abeam.* My family owned 80's vintage Hatterases, and I was in awe of the LRC's, but I would be very apprehensive about the age. Any 30 YO boat is going to be a handful to keep working especially in our neck of the woods. I am in Whittier also (M-4, Cliffside),* Are you aware that SALSA is available in Seward at a price that is hard to believe. You could have a 60 Hatteras...., and the fuel bill...

Mike
*Mike, nice to hear from someone else in Whittier.

I saw the Ad for Salsa on CL a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been on her but if she's in good shape thats allot of boat for the buck!

Amongst others issues a*realistic problem with her is that while I could buy her, I really don't have the resources to maintain a 60' hatteras with twin 1200 hp engines. I can't imagine the bill to re-build a 1200 HP engine.

The switch to a trawler is going to involve a switch in harbors as well. We've been in Whittier for a long time, but we'll never get a slip there for a 40'+ boat. (it took me 6 years to ger a 28' slip). I could buy a slip at cliffside for 130K but that won't leave much to buy a boat with.

Seward is the only alternative for us. I'm only a couple of years out for a 50' slip, and the harbormaster told me that transient space is not a problem.

Our favorite areas are the south sound. We love the south passages and McLeod harbor on Montague. We*rarely even stop in the north sound except to drop the shrimp pots.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
... *Perhaps you could find a Coot for sale? ...
*I appreciate your remark.* When calling Bill Kimley at Seahorse, tell them it was my suggestion.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #47

Quote:
ksanders wrote:akboater wrote:
Kevin,

Mike
*Mike, nice to hear from someone else in Whittier.

I saw the Ad for Salsa on CL a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been on her but if she's in good shape thats allot of boat for the buck!

Amongst others issues a*realistic problem with her is that while I could buy her, I really don't have the resources to maintain a 60' hatteras with twin 1200 hp engines. I can't imagine the bill to re-build a 1200 HP engine.

The switch to a trawler is going to involve a switch in harbors as well. We've been in Whittier for a long time, but we'll never get a slip there for a 40'+ boat. (it took me 6 years to ger a 28' slip). I could buy a slip at cliffside for 130K but that won't leave much to buy a boat with.

Seward is the only alternative for us. I'm only a couple of years out for a 50' slip, and the harbormaster told me that transient space is not a problem.

Our favorite areas are the south sound. We love the south passages and McLeod harbor on Montague. We*rarely even stop in the north sound except to drop the shrimp pots.

*I spent a number of years in Seward. Nice but seems small* unless you head across. And I agree on the south passages of PWS!*

FWIW, I got an email from the* broker on Salsa, now asking 180.

akboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #48
FF
Guru

"What does the shape of this stern tell you?"

Plaining hull , not full displacement.

Great at 15- 18K in smooth water with enough power perhaps 25K.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote