Swim platform replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
Replacing the swim platform. Originally planning on replacing with teak but now also considering fiberglass. Another used fiberglass? Regret? Happy? Comments and suggestions. One other factor, planning to use Weaver davits someday with a dingy.

I'am contemplating having one made of aluminium tubing. I know that the one thing I want to do is mount it higher on the transom than the original. But what type I've no idea yet other than I don't want one any wider than the original.

I just replaced mine with 2" anodize alum. tubing and 3/4" starboard, not cheap but looks great and can handle much more weight than the one I had.

These are the guys to talk to, good products and deep knowledge. I have seen their work on several boats and talked with them at the Miami boat show at some length.

Butler Marine Products - High Quality Boat Ladders, Anchor Pulpits, Platforms and Boat Accessories

I slightly prefer fiberglass myself; cooler on the feet on hot days, easier to repair. If going with teak, leave it natural for better non-skid properties and lower maintenance.

Personally I wouldn't be putting aluminum at and under the waterline in salt water, at least. All the support brackets and superstructure I've noticed is stainless steel, or in the case of my Hatteras, bronze!

swim platform

I agree with the previous post. I would not put aluminum into salt water. I would go with st. st. tubing and starboard. If you have basic wood working skills and tools (router, table saw), it's easy to work with. This will not be cheap. A sheet of 3/4 starboard is very pricey. The st. st. tubing will also be very pricey. I would have the tubing frame made and do the starboard myself. How to attach it to the transom will take some thought. Pay attention to the way the old one is installed. Be certain to use back up plates and thru bolts with lock washers and lock tight. If you use a marina, make sure they have done it before.

Or find a savage yard and buy an old one?

Our platform was installed 13 years ago by the PO to replace the factory "slotted" teak. It was enlarged slightly, constructed of 2 layers of marine plywood covered with fiberglass cloth, sanded smooth, primed, painted with Alwgrip and then non-skid added. We repainted/refinished it last year. It took two of us to lift if off for it's pretty heavy but it was solid with no soft spots or moisture intrusion. It's 1.75" thick by 8.5' by 2.5'. There are 2 end brackets plus 3 that support the platform from underneath.

Attachments

• Swim platform.jpg
    Swim platform.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Swim platform 2.jpg
    Swim platform 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 515
Larry....nice platform. Have you ever had an issue in a following sea, like water breaking on the platform?

Larry....nice platform. Have you ever had an issue in a following sea, like water breaking on the platform?

Following seas have never been an issue but at anchor occasionally, waves caused by passing boats, will pile up under the platform. With the 5 brackets, I've never felt having a solid platform was a negative.

I do need a swim platform replacement to be done. About a week ago, at around 2am, the water police and other security folks were conducting maneuvers in the Brisbane River. This was in preparation for the G20 meeting here next weekend. Just how many boats and what size I'm not sure but they did create large wakes on the river. Two boats in the marina had broken mooring lines afterwards, and my swim platform was ripped off.

Fortunately a dock neighbour found the platform on the river bank a couple hundred meters away, and brought it back for me. The platform has five bronze supports, and the platform was attached using flexible adhesive and screws from underneath.

I'm going to ask a yard for a repair quote since I've filed a complaint about the incident requesting that the authorities pay for repairs. I'm not sure that poking a stick at the water police is such a good idea, it could lead to future harassment but I felt that if they damage private property they should fix it. Repair will be simple enough except that its close to the water and the boat might need to be hauled to do the job properly.

The platform is about 3900 x 640mm. Ideally it would be 750mm, but then the supports might need to be strengthened as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 141
I think you lucked-out on that deal, Brian. At least the platform came off without tearing out your brackets. Could have been worse. Maybe it's good that you passed on this story for the benefit of those (like myself) that are in the middle of a platform installation. There's something to be said about making the fastening system from platform to bracket less beefy than bracket to boat.

I agree with the previous post. I would not put aluminum into salt water. I would go with st. st. tubing and starboard. If you have basic wood working skills and tools (router, table saw), it's easy to work with. This will not be cheap. A sheet of 3/4 starboard is very pricey. The st. st. tubing will also be very pricey. I would have the tubing frame made and do the starboard myself. How to attach it to the transom will take some thought. Pay attention to the way the old one is installed. Be certain to use back up plates and thru bolts with lock washers and lock tight. If you use a marina, make sure they have done it before.

Or find a savage yard and buy an old one?

I have not seen starboard that has the kind of non-skid property I'd want on a swim platform. Do they make a "rough" version?

Before I embarked on a big DIY project, I'd talk with Butler. They probably have a template for any production boat, they have deep experience, and given efficiencies the price may outweigh the time and hassles of a DIY job. At least it would provide a reference point.

Why not Alum in salt water ??

Starboard AS is non skid and perfect for a swim platform. aksteve made one with this material and it's on my long list of projects..

Last edited:
Starboard AS is non skid and perfect for a swim platform. aksteve made one with this material and it's on my long list of projects..

Thanks, good to know. I like starboard for a number of purposes, but the stuff I've been around has been very slick.

Why not Alum in salt water ??

Corrosion for one thing. There's a reason people are beginning to use aluminum anodes instead of zincs. Now if you apply proper protective coatings to it, certainly it works, witness all the aluminum boats out there. But also look at what happens to aluminum outdrive lower units, for instance when left unattended to.

Thanks caltexflanc, now I understand why they coated all underwater tubing with anti fouling and used non skid starboard.

Being new to all this big boat stuff I should have asked questions before doing this work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom