Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
SV Dagny is adrift in the Gulf Stream

Has anyone noticed this? SV Dagny apparently went adrift in the Bahamas West End as the owner went ashore to pay the cruising fee. Now the boat is headed northeast in the Gulf Stream.

SV Dagny - A happy life is one in motion, which the sea provides in all directions.

It is an off-white hull with a dark boot stripe, 26 LOA Morris Francis 26 design.

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
An excerpt from webpage llink
"22 December, 2015 in Under Way
I left on Thursday December the 17th. Friday was going to be bad weather with the winds switching to the North, which for crossing the Stream is a no-no. I left early at at 5:30, motor-sailing. I can’t describe the anticipations and worries leaving at night on my first ocean crossing. This was going to be the shake-down cruise for Dagny and I. She undoubtedly has more experience than myself. Truth be told, I have practically none. I fear that admitting this will get me the wrath of experienced sailors, and they would be mostly right. This is just the way I do things, from cave diving to flying ultralights. Inexperienced doesn’t mean ill prepared or lacking knowledge. I have envisioned this trip for years and learned everything I could about sailing. This was my first time alone on a boat. My total sailing experience amounted that morning to a few hours aboard a friend’s boat as a guest. Now you’re going to think I am crazy. I certainly do not suggest anyone try this. You might not come back."

Seems he had to cut loose his usual anchor a 35# Mantus, couldn't haul it in do to weakness from a rough crossing. He then was anchored with a 20#CQR. no telling whether it pulled loose, line was cut by coral, knot came loose, or lifted by human and boat stolen?? Maybe the swivel broke?
Interesting reading in the log.

Wishing him good luck it doesn't look like he has had much of that ltely
Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
An excerpt from webpage llink
"22 December, 2015...This was going to be the shake-down cruise for Dagny and I. She undoubtedly has more experience than myself. Truth be told, I have practically none...This was my first time alone on a boat. My total sailing experience amounted that morning to a few hours aboard a friend’s boat as a guest...
I took a few things out of context but wow!
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Guru

"The sea does not suffer fools gladly"
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Wow! This sounds like the first chapter of one of my favorite "boat experience" books "Desperate Voyage" by John Caldwell. I wish him luck, sounds like he'll need some.
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Cut the dock lines and shove off. If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451760036.562325.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	47834

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
For those interested there's a thread, "Tragedy Strikes", on Cruisers Forum that began on 12/22 and to date has hit 49 pages of comments along with responses from SV Dagny's owner. Here's a link to that thread:

Tragedy Strikes. - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 01-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
For those interested there's a thread, "Tragedy Strikes", on Cruisers Forum that began on 12/22 and to date has hit 49 pages of comments along with responses from SV Dagny's owner. Here's a link to that thread:

Reading a bit of that, IMO, the boat was stolen, it didn't just drift away.... Sad story for sure.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post

Jesus! I not sure I've ever read a thread with so much ignorant and/or out right bad advice in it as there is in that one.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Jesus! I not sure I've ever read a thread with so much ignorant and/or out right bad advice in it as there is in that one.

Welcome to the internet

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
No way was I wading through 52 pages of that as a non member. Nor would I join, having seen several CF threads like that.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Briefly perused the thread on CF. Mistakes were made - but you do feel bad for the guy starting out his dream on such a disastrous note.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Who buys a boat and heads off on a long distance voyage without putting around the coast a while? Also, if you're planning to go to the panama canal, isn't that southwest of Fort Pierce? Next, panama requires crossing expenses, and he didn't have them. Apparently he had never been on rough water enough to have sea sickness...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
Guru

He may not have had all the experiance in the world but you only get that from getting out and doing it anyway. So at least he was out there giving it a go. He made the crossing and made West End, so he wasn't doing to bad.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
He may not have had all the experiance in the world but you only get that from getting out and doing it anyway. So at least he was out there giving it a go. He made the crossing and made West End, so he wasn't doing to bad.
Bad is an individual definition. I'd consider loss of engine and loss of primary anchor, no insurance, and a few other things I noticed to be bad for one leg.

As I read it his total experience was a few hours on a friends boat earlier the day he left single handed his first time handling a boat.

I feel bad for him, but I repeatedly see people encouraged to take the adventure, not delay, no training. He took the time to sell everything, to prepare the boat, and to start his blog, but couldn't take the time to gain a little experience first.

Those things that did go bad on the first leg, as well as other things he could have but didn't do, led to his loss of the boat.

Now, ultimately it was his choice and if he went in with eyes fully open and aware of the risks, then that's his right. I admit this is just one aspect of the sailing world and the CF world of adventure which I'd consider foolhardiness that I just don't grasp or understand. Doesn't make them wrong, just outside my comfort zone. There are a lot of them however that don't make it to forums as they don't work out, with far worse consequences than his. There is risk to all boating. I just believe in managing it to a lower level more than some do.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
B There is risk to all boating. I just believe in managing it to a lower level more than some do.
Agreed. In today's TV ads, Magazine spreads, Facebook and Internet world it is all too easy to believe life, risk taking and behavior are without consequences.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I'm the king of winging it, and this voyage sounded pretty stupid even to me.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Agreed. In today's TV ads, Magazine spreads, Facebook and Internet world it is all too easy to believe life, risk taking and behavior are without consequences.
I guess my major gripe with this kind of thing is that it can put other people at risk. For example, if he had lost a mast or something in the crossing due to his inexperience and become imperiled the USCG would have rescued him at great expense and potential loss of life and limb on their part. I'm thankful they will be there should I ever need them but I think that requires enough respect for their time and tax dollars to do your best to not require rescue.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
Guru

All of those things happen to cruisers sooner or later. He seemed to be overcoming them pretty well and was at least well enought prepared to have a second anchor of the correct size for the boat he had.

I guess I just have a soft spot for people who get out and do things even if they don't/can't cover all the bases before going for it.

Now some people take that to the extreme and do obviously stupid things. Those people I don't have a soft spot for.

As to who fits into which category, well that's a bit of a moving target for me I guess. As I would guess it is for many people unless they have a hard core black and white type mentality. And they feel you should never do anything until you have all contingencies covered.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I'm the king of winging it, and this voyage sounded pretty stupid even to me.

You and I both. Door number 2 however is staying chained to the dock for years preparing you and your boat to go on a voyage that never seems to happen.

We are currently making plans to follow the VicTrawler path. Picking up a cheap vessel, slap on some solar panels and water maker and head south a month after buying it.