Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I'm surprised a film would be attempted, especially if it accurately portrays the Japanese behavior in the book. Political correctness and all.
Screw political correctness...

A movie like that SHOULD be made to prevent history from repeating itself...

I read as much as I can on ww2 and I am always still amazed at some of the atrocities that the Japanese did in the Pacific and China. Cannibals.. that one takes the cake!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Rick-I mistyped the distance, it was 80, not 8 miles off Hatteras. I will try and find something for you on the story. I know the Wilmington Star News and the local weekly rag, The Brunswick Beacon had stories on it at the time. If I can find anything I will post it.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Yahoo posted a follow up story

https://news.yahoo.com/pacific-casta...060613735.html

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
After seeing a photo of this guy today, I am not that sure this story is a 100% true. The guy looks pretty chunky in the face to me for a guy that just spent the last 13 months chowing down fish, birds and turtles.

Even if this guy chowed down 3 times a day that is a great deal of protein for someone's body to handle in fact that much protein would have killed him because he took in no carbohydrates and virtually no fat at all.

This guy shows no signs of living that long a drift on the high seas. His skin is pretty clean and clear for being in the open sea as well.

We all know when someone starts to cut weight their face shows the first sign of weight lost but this guy's face looks like a chunky monkey to me. So I am not buying this story. Sorry I think it is all B.S.

Just my thoughts

Happy cruising

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
He does look fairly well-fed, doesn't he.

Maybe his "friend" was a very big bloke as well.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
He does look fairly well-fed, doesn't he.

Maybe his "friend" was a very big bloke as well.
I would have to agree with you on that one. On the other hand I may be wrong. This guy could have weighed 600 pounds 13 months ago!!!

Happy cruising

H. Foster
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #27
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
There was a guy that told a story of drifting from California to Costa Rica and living off seagulls and fish but when the dust settled, it was a lie I think.

Found 2500 miles at sea
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I think we may discover that he got the year wrong. I could believe dec 2013, but his skin sure looks good for someone in an open boat.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #29
Guru

Do we have a medical doctor in the forum?

Could this be bloating from rapid re-hydration or some sort of condition because of a low/no fat/carbohydrate diet? I ask because I've honestly no clue.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
Guru

The story is getting legs here on the local news. Nobody seems to question it though. I've seen it on several news channels and the announcers believe the story.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I think we may discover that he got the year wrong. I could believe dec 2013, but his skin sure looks good for someone in an open boat.
Well, the interpreter did screw up the name, so it's certainty certainly a possibility.
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Guru

I don't know how he could drift that far in two months. It's 8000 miles and if he did it in 13 months that is 615 miles a month.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #33
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
There is an AP story out the morning the confirms that he set out from Chiapas, Mexico in November 2012, he was reported missing and a search was undertaken. He is Savadorean and his parents had not spoken to him for 8 years. He apparently used another name in Mexico. Chiapas police or some official have ID'd him as the missing guy.

I can't link to the story but it should be easy to find.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Do we have a medical doctor in the forum?

Could this be bloating from rapid re-hydration or some sort of condition because of a low/no fat/carbohydrate diet? I ask because I've honestly no clue.
Cpseudonym

I'm not a Doctor but I have taken many classes on weigh lost because I am a Ex-Boxer and I have cut large amounts of weigh in a short time to make weigh.

Rapid Re-hydrations can kill you faster then De-hydration. Rapid Re-hydration can send someone into shock then the body drowns from too much water in it's system. Some marathon runners have died by rapid re-hydration after a run, one did not to long ago. I think in the NY or Boston marathon. The runner drank too much water then went into shock and fell out.

The Medic thought the runner was de-hydrated so the pumped even more water into the poor man. Sad story but a true one.

In this case, it is clear the 13 month guy did not taken in too much water. From the story and reports he is just having a hard time walking.

If this story is true, the man is one lucky fellow, but I still believe something is wrong here. But that is just me.

Happy cruising

H. Foster
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
There is an AP story out the morning the confirms that he set out from Chiapas, Mexico in November 2012, he was reported missing and a search was undertaken. He is Savadorean and his parents had not spoken to him for 8 years. He apparently used another name in Mexico. Chiapas police or some official have ID'd him as the missing guy.

I can't link to the story but it should be easy to find.
Thanks for that post and the information.

I find there is something wrong here though. One story says he left Mexico with his friend on 24-Dec-2012 which is the date he said he left Mexico. Now this story says he left in Nov of 2012. which is it I wonder?

I am finding to many holes in this story, but hey it's winter time here and I can't be out on the water playing and enjoying a nice cruise... so I am just killing time until I can.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #36
Guru

City: NC
The man was reported missing back in 2012, I think it was December, and a search was done to find him and the teenager that was with him. The search ended after two days due to bad weather and was not restarted after the weather cleared. This was in Mexico. He had been IDed by family and Mexican authorities.

I don't think the different information that is out there is because this guy is telling lies but because of language differences and many people in the between the printed word and what was said.

The teenager with him died a month or so into the "trip." The boat was 22 or 24 feet long and the survivor said he only had a few days of bad weather/waves. There was a blue box of some kind on the boat that he could get into to get out of the sun. The props were missing from the engines which is odd and might be the cause his the boat going adrift.

His "fat" face stuck out to me when I first saw the photos of him but he was also wearing bulky clothes so it was hard to tell his true body size. I also saw some photos after he was shaved and had a haircut after which his face did not appear to be so large.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #37
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
the possibly cheap aluminum props could be gone just from corrosion issues immersed for 16 months.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Cpseudonym I'm not a Doctor but I have taken many classes on weigh lost because I am a Ex-Boxer and I have cut large amounts of weigh in a short time to make weigh.

Rapid Re-hydrations can kill you faster then De-hydration. Rapid Re-hydration can send someone into shock then the body drowns from too much water in it's system. Some marathon runners have died by rapid re-hydration after a run, one did not to long ago. I think in the NY or Boston marathon. The runner drank too much water then went into shock and fell out.

The Medic thought the runner was de-hydrated so the pumped even more water into the poor man. Sad story but a true one. In this case, it is clear the 13 month guy did not taken in too much water. From the story and reports he is just having a hard time walking.

If this story is true, the man is one lucky fellow, but I still believe something is wrong here. But that is just me.

Happy cruising
H. Foster
Thanks for that. The initial story has him being found so far from civilization as the nearest phone line was quite a distance away. Made me wonder if perhaps something done wrong medically, or perhaps an allergy could cause the swelling. Language barrier and distance explains the inconsistencies.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
the possibly cheap aluminum props could be gone just from corrosion issues immersed for 16 months.

Could have also been used to attempt fabricating a knife or some such useful tool. A year is a long time to tinker while trying to survive.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #40
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Anyone got a link to photos of the boat? All the links I have hit have basically been regurgitation of the same text and photos.

His skin sure is fair for being out on the water that long. Even if boat had a cabin, enough UV is bouncing around a boat that you'd get a pretty good tan.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote