Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #41
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Anyone got a link to photos of the boat? All the links I have hit have basically been regurgitation of the same text and photos.

His skin sure is fair for being out on the water that long. Even if boat had a cabin, enough UV is bouncing around a boat that you'd get a pretty good tan.
This link has some pretty good photos, Pictured: Boat castaway from Mexico lived on for 13 months while adrift on the Pacific Ocean | Mail Online

They say the boat is 23 or 24 feet long and there is a blue box on board that he used to keep out of the sun. No photos of the engines though.

The link says a doctor stated the survivor is suffering from edema which makes him look large.

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #42
Guru

City: Cleveland
Doubt raised Man's 13 months Lost at sea

Doubts raised over castaway's 13 months 'lost at sea' claim | Fox News

May be we all will find out what really happen in the end. God I have to much time on my hands!

Happy Cruising

H. Foster

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #43
Guru

City: Tampa
Just posting what I found on the boat:

Pictured: Boat castaway from Mexico lived on for 13 months while adrift on the Pacific Ocean | Mail Online

OD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 months adrift boat 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	27134   Click image for larger version

Name:	16months adrift-boat1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	27135  
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #44
Guru

Here is one more for you O.D.

Happy cruising

H. Foster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-2_2812028c.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	27144  
Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Here is one more for you O.D.

Happy cruising

H. Foster
Now there's an Omen if I ever saw one!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #46
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
All doubting aside, seems the guy and the boat did make it from Mexico to the Marshalls. So other than drifting, how else could they have gotten there?

That boat is smaller than I thought. That fish box is not much of a cabin!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
All doubting aside, seems the guy and the boat did make it from Mexico to the Marshalls. So other than drifting, how else could they have gotten there?

That boat is smaller than I thought. That fish box is not much of a cabin!!
Very true. As I said from the outset, I had my doubts, and with the language barriers and I'm sure a bit of confusion on his part, the timeline and other details may not be totally "accurate"; however, if the majority of it is credible, we can learn a lot from his misadventure.

Hell, at this point, I'd be doing good to remember my name, much less how long I'd been adrift
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Now there's an Omen if I ever saw one!!!
wow I didn't think of that OD. Your right! Lucky number 13!!!

Happy Cruising

H. Foster
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #49

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
wow I didn't think of that OD. Your right! Lucky number 13!!!

Happy Cruising

H. Foster
Latest I heard was that they suspect he may have made landfall on one the uninhibited islands near there. He may have hung out there for quite some time before setting sail again and ending up where he did.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #50
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I bet you Richard Nixon is rolling in his grave right now, wishing that back in his day, the press was so gullible and having no science background of any sort.

In that stupid long articlei just edged my time reading, they say that he survived by drinking a litre of turtle blood a day and the proof they cite is because its called, "the elixir of life"

What's the salinity of turtle blood, if it's anything like ours, he may as well have been drinking sea water.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I bet you Richard Nixon is rolling in his grave right now, wishing that back in his day, the press was so gullible and having no science background of any sort.

In that stupid long articlei just edged my time reading, they say that he survived by drinking a litre of turtle blood a day and the proof they cite is because its called, "the elixir of life"

What's the salinity of turtle blood, if it's anything like ours, he may as well have been drinking sea water.
funny you mention that.
When I first read the story, and always being interested in austere survival topics, I started researching the possibility of drinking turtle blood.

It seems that, unlike human or other "mammal" blood, it is a viable option to ward off dehydration, and maintain a protein intake.

While is certainly has it's inherent risks as noted in the link previously provided, additional reviews indicated that it may not contain nearly the blood borne pathogens one might risk in the consumption of other "animal" blood. I was actually surprised at the result of the research.

I guess in the end it's a crap shoot? If you don't have much choice, WTF over?

There was also a comment about him drinking his own urine.
While an option, I'm thinking that with the potential for kidney failure due to the dehydration, he might not be any better off.....

time will surely tell the story.

OD
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #52
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
What kind of anchor did he have?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #53
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Thanks. I hope I never need to use that knowledge.

Nite I just need to figure out how to catch a turtle a day for 13 months. That's over 400 turtles.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
One suspects it will end up being, well, if not a hoax, as it might be unintentional, but the facts that emerge might downgrade the feat a bit. However, if not, then he needs to be grilled re his techniques, and they need to be publicised, as it would be the new encyclopaedia of survival at sea. How did he catch so much food, like fish and birds and turtles with no gear to do it with..? That I would like to know. I'm useless at catching fish with all the right gear. As to birds and turtles…and water for that matter...
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
Latest I heard was that they suspect he may have made landfall on one the uninhibited islands near there. He may have hung out there for quite some time before setting sail again and ending up where he did.
Ron.

That has always been in the back of my mind, that this Fellow sat on some Island for some time before ending up at Atoll.

I have no doubt this guy was out in the sea, but I do not believe he was adrift for the full 13 months.

They have been showing a photo of this Fellow with out his beard and with his hair cut as well. Well come to find out that is a old photo of him that they used to ID him.

The photos of him with his beard, wild hair and fat face is what he looks like now. He had to be eating more than Birds, turtles and fish. I'm thinking a wild bore or 2!

From all accounts when he seen land at Atoll he swam to shore. Ok let me think here. I've been drifting in the ocean for 13 months, eating fish turtles birds, drinking rain water and turtle blood then I see land so I swim to shore.

Now where did I get the strength from to swim to shore? Where did I get the strength to walk around the Island until someone found me? I know, my name is Superman!

Oh God I have way to much time on my hands. I hate winter!

I know I poke fun at this guy, but really I do have some respect for this Fellow. He did stay alive when faced with some hard times. So I do give him a for that.

I think in the end, the true story will come out, well I hope it does anyways!

Happy cruising

H. Foster
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #56
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
wow you guys are brutal...

to say his tactics should be reviewed is ludicrous.. he is a Mexican fisherman.. they go to sea in open boats with spare water in a soda bottle and if lucky have a small flashlight for a emergency.

my feeling is he may of washed ashore somewhere first but more than likely not. getting a engineless panga back through the surf would most likely be impossible.. they weigh a ton. He probably did float around and across the Pacific as stated.. a floating object becomes it's own ecosystem over time and he well may of been able to fish by hand. Others have stayed alive drinking turtle blood... look at the Robertson Family. Keep in mind that there are a lot of squalls that dump rain across the Pacific and rain catchment has also saved other castaways.

Also his "puffy" appearance can be a side effect of a form of adema from rehydration. If he spent 13 months alone in that little boat I would think his recollection would be fuzzy to say the least... most of us that would be so lucky to have lasted would likely be babbling idiots.

Armchair sailors lighten up...

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #57
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I read his health has taken a turn for the worse. Hope the doc's there know enough to help him get his body chemistry back to normal.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #58
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Pacific castaway Jose Alvarenga 'trained guerrilla who wanted to die at sea' | Mail Online
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #59
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
SO I'm to believe that a drifting boat in the middle of the Pacific is a turtle magnet? Hell, if it's that easy why haven't I found any? I know I'm not in tropical waters but with all my fishing gear I'm lucky to catch a mackerel.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #60
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
SO I'm to believe that a drifting boat in the middle of the Pacific is a turtle magnet? Hell, if it's that easy why haven't I found any? I know I'm not in tropical waters but with all my fishing gear I'm lucky to catch a mackerel.
Absolutely...adrift objects including liferafts DO become their own ecosystem which attract all kinds of marine life...dolphin fish often are found under even relatively fresh open ocean debris...and are usually pretty easy to catch. Turtles are often curious....so why wouldn't they come see??? Flying fish will sometimes land in the boat/raft....

Not saying survival at sea is either easy or fun...but it can and has been done. Like all records...they seem to keep being broken as time goes on.

While this story might have holes in it...well...most reported events do because of the relaying media as much as anything else.

Someone will certainly document the crap out of this for any one of many reasons....science, military use, write a book, make a movie...etc..etc...

So when a lot more pieces and confirmation come together....I'll take a more in depth look as I do teach Safety/Survival at Sea classes and the truth might add quite a few interesting tidbits to survival publications...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote