Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Everett
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Surveyor recommendations - LaConner, Washington

My wife and I are looking at a boat being sold by a private party in Laconner. I know typically an offer is made then the survey is done and price adjustments happen after the survey. We want to survey before we make the offer.

Anybody have a recommendation for both a hull surveyor and a good engine surveyor? Not necessarily the same person but the would be easier. I was thinking of using Berg Marine Surveys.

Recommendations are appreciated.
__________________
Advertisement

Cantsitstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 593
For hull survey Matt Harris - Marine Consultants Inc in Bellingham WA.

He is the best. Passage Maker magazine featured an article about him. He has extensive experience in boatbuilding.

He is especially effective surveying TaIwan boats because of his experiencing overseeing boat construction in Taiwan.

I would not want him as a surveyor of a boat I was selling. He is very thorough.
__________________

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantsitstill View Post
My wife and I are looking at a boat being sold by a private party in Laconner. I know typically an offer is made then the survey is done and price adjustments happen after the survey. We want to survey before we make the offer.

Anybody have a recommendation for both a hull surveyor and a good engine surveyor? Not necessarily the same person but the would be easier. I was thinking of using Berg Marine Surveys.

Recommendations are appreciated.

why survey before the offer?
you dont know what they will sell it for and you will be down a couple grand ..
What is gained doing it backwards?
HOLLYWOOD


I second Matt Harris but is is very hard to get , a friend just tried and he was weeks out
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,914
Cale Mathers of Mathers Marine- great surveyor!
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post


I second Matt Harris but is is very hard to get , a friend just tried and he was weeks out
Matt Harris is definitely worth the wait.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
Guru
 
Russell Clifton's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes Wa.
Country: usa
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 552
Berg is good and I used Craig Smith from Compass Marine for the engines. Only problem is waiting maybe a month. Especially if your not using a broker.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 593
Engine surveyor depends on engine.

Best to higher a mechanic that works exclusively with that manufacturer for an engine survey.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
Member
 
City: Everett
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Cale Mathers of Mathers Marine- great surveyor!
Hey Peter this is Ron from EYC. Would you mind if I pick your brain some over the phone? I still have your info in the bluebook.
Cantsitstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
Member
 
City: Everett
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
I appreciate your thoughts. I am still deciding if I survey then offer or offer then survey. I know the asking price. I just thought it might be a bit less contentious if I wait to offer till I survey.

I do realize it is not standard but aren't I out the survey cost either way. If I get an accepted offer then drop the price due to the survey he can still turn me down and I am out the $. Seems like 1/2 dozen 1 way and 6 the other. Maybe I am not understanding though.

I am certainly open to suggestions though.
Cantsitstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,538
I think that I would make the offer first. Negotiate the best price you can. Then see what the survey says. If it has a lot of issues, renegotiate. If you go to survey first, if I were the seller I would probably think that you are a really motivated buyer and wouldn’t bargain as much. There is a reason probably 99% of the boat selling proceeds along the normal routine.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
Member
 
City: Henderson, NV
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantsitstill View Post
I appreciate your thoughts. I am still deciding if I survey then offer or offer then survey. I know the asking price. I just thought it might be a bit less contentious if I wait to offer till I survey.

I do realize it is not standard but aren't I out the survey cost either way. If I get an accepted offer then drop the price due to the survey he can still turn me down and I am out the $. Seems like 1/2 dozen 1 way and 6 the other. Maybe I am not understanding though.

I am certainly open to suggestions though.
I've often thought of this process, as well. Get an agreed price sans survey w/ survey results in further reduction. Seller can disagree w/ this as it's not the "traditional" way, but leaving survey results out of initial offering price seems to me to reflect true value of the boat.
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Everett
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
That makes sense. Thx everyone for the advice.
Cantsitstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
Member
 
City: Everett
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
That makes sense. I will take that advice.
__________________

Cantsitstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012