Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

City: Vero Beach, Fl
Surveyor Recommendations

Hi,
I'm the new guy here with a grand total of ZERO posts!
Recently sold our home and soon to be live aboards. I am looking for a certified marine surveyor in the Cape area of Massachusetts for a mid 80's trawler type boat. The broker has recommended someone and it appears that this person has an excellent reputation based on web searches.....but I am concerned about any "conflict of interest" issues. Can anyone here recommend a surveyor or two?
Thanks
John

JohnRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cleveland
Welcome.

I am sorry I cannot recomommend a surveyor for you, but I will agree with you that there is a conflict of interest. I am sure some one on T.F. will be able to help you out. You can always search the net for a Surveyor and then call them up to do some research on them. Just a thought which I am sure you have thought of. LOL

Good luck and again welcome
hfoster

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I wouldn't worry about a conflict of interest; the broker is a professional in the industry, and is sharing his knowledge with you. Part of your due diligence is to research the credentials of the surveyor and then interview him/her- it's basically a job interview, with you as the employer.

While you'll get varying opinions as to who to use for surveys. Being in the marine insurance business, ininterface with surveyors on a daily basis, and read all thpes of survey reports. I strongly recommend you start your research here (use google):

NAMS- National Association of Marine Surveyors
SAMS- Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors

Both are professional organizations that are known in the industry for producing quality surveyors thru an education and apprenticeship program. Each organization has a member roster (with contact information) on their website, and you can select and interview your particular surveyor there.

Welcome to TF, and good luck in your search! We are also liveaboards, and absolutely love the lifestyle!

Pete

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Uh-oh...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I would find your own surveyor. You will know he is looking out for your best interest.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Apologies to any surveyors out there but I would not use a surveyor recommended by a seller. Maybe a marina dockmaster or other boat owners can recommend someone or go to SAMS website.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Surveyor

I agree with Pete on surveyors. If you chose a production boat there are areas of common problem with each model of boat. I would in this case ask the surveyor if he has had experience with this model and brand. Custom boats and wood boats are challenges as they all have custom problem. An older experienced surveyor will probably have more experience one off boats. Finding a good surveyor for wood boats is difficult in my experience as most younger surveyors just don't know where to look for problems.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Uh-oh...

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

This is a mid 80's Fiberglass boat. I have looked at the SAMS website and there are at least 20 surveyors in the greater Cape area. If I call them, they will all say that they are the "best" in the business and have surveyed my prospective type boat or similar. In other words, I wont know much more than I do now about who to pick. I thought maybe someone here had experience with one of the surveyors in this area or know by word of mouth about a good one.
I will do my due diligence on the selection but it still looks like a crap shoot when picking by phone or website.
Thanks for the advice...it is appreciated
John
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
On a 30 year old boat if you can't do the survey yourself then you aren't ready to buy anything. You may want to hire a surveyor(s) to assist you with your own research but I repeat - if you can't do the survey yourself then you aren't ready to buy.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
On a 30 year old boat if you can't do the survey yourself then you aren't ready to buy anything. but I repeat - if you can't do the survey yourself then you aren't ready to buy.
Hogwash!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
On a 30 year old boat if you can't do the survey yourself then you aren't ready to buy anything. You may want to hire a surveyor(s) to assist you with your own research but I repeat - if you can't do the survey yourself then you aren't ready to buy.
Well....I've been around and owned boats for 50 years now....I'm 61. I have looked at this boat, flew from Florida to Mass and spent the better part of a day going through it with my eyes and camera. I checked for wood rot in the bulkheads, rust on the steering gear, condition of the prop and shaft and stuffing box, head, water heater, generator etc etc etc BUT I seriously doubt that any insurance company is going to take my "word" for it that the boat is good; so......like most folks getting ready to spend well over $100K on a boat...they get a professional documented survey to help make an informed decision on a purchase as well as to satisy insurance requirements.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Shouldn't be hard to find another surveyor in that area. My marina here maintains a list of local surveyors.

As you'll probably notice, there are many opinions of surveyors and the standards they use, but as long as you're going in eyes open and recognize the boat won't meet many newer standards that today's manufacturers are building to, it's worth the money.

You'll learn lots about the boat, the way things have changed over the years, and hopefully some of the things to watch out for and keep an eye on.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
BUT I seriously doubt that any insurance company is going to take my "word" for it that the boat is good; so......like most folks getting ready to spend well over $100K on a boat...they get a professional documented survey to help make an informed decision on a purchase as well as to satisy insurance requirements.

I agree with you John. Sometimes hiring a surveyor is like hiring a lawyer, you don't know if you got screwed until it is all over. If you were on the west coast I would recommend these guys. Lot of experience in Taiwanese built boats.

Harris Marine Surveys, Div. of Marine Consultants Inc., Matthew L. Harris, NAMS® CMS, SAMS®-AMS® Bellingham, Washington, USA - Welcome

Good luck.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Quite the ignorant statement, Bob.

Quote:
This is a mid 80's Fiberglass boat. I have looked at the SAMS website and there are at least 20 surveyors in the greater Cape area. If I call them, they will all say that they are the "best" in the business and have surveyed my prospective type boat or similar. In other words, I wont know much more than I do now about who to pick. I thought maybe someone here had experience with one of the surveyors in this area or know by word of mouth about a good one.
I will do my due diligence on the selection but it still looks like a crap shoot when picking by phone or website.
Thanks for the advice...it is appreciated
John
It is a crapshoot for sure, John; you may also want to contact a few local marine insurers and finance folks. Neither should have a direct vested interest in the purchase process, but are involved in reviewing surveys on a regular basis. Another resource is to call a competing broker and ask for a surveyor recommendation.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Quite the ignorant statement, Bob.
I wouldn't be so harsh. You CAN look at it yourself and get a general idea about it. Heck, some people CAN do their own survey, BUT, as someone mentioned, insurance companies and lenders will probably not allow it. Moreover, it's my opinion that a second set of objective eyes wouldn't be a bad idea when spending $50,000 to $100,000 on something.

Tom-
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
Hogwash!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Quote:
Well....I've been around and owned boats for 50 years now....I'm 61. I have looked at this boat, flew from Florida to Mass and spent the better part of a day going through it with my eyes and camera. I checked for wood rot in the bulkheads, rust on the steering gear, condition of the prop and shaft and stuffing box, head, water heater, generator etc etc etc BUT I seriously doubt that any insurance company is going to take my "word" for it that the boat is good; so......like most folks getting ready to spend well over $100K on a boat...they get a professional documented survey to help make an informed decision on a purchase as well as to satisy insurance requirements.
Survey for insurance and finance aside, and assuming you are a boat vs yacht owner, I agree with BoboftheNorth as it applies to older vessels. I suspect he was making a point with regards to ongoing maintanence issues.

As a "boat" owner, I've hands-on retrofitted a number of old/tired boats. From a time and money perspective, the experience taught me two things; that I don't want to do it again <and> what to look for so I don't have to.

Prior to getting serious (ie, spending money on the purchase process), I spent two days going through my current vessel. I'm sure the broker suspected something when I showed up with a cooler and work clothes. By the time I hired the surveyors, I already knew the condition (except engine operation) and was confident of my purchase decision/offer. I was also able to point out a few items to the surveyor which he did not discover. Mike
DinghyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
BUT I seriously doubt that any insurance company is going to take my "word" for it that the boat is good; so......like most folks getting ready to spend well over $100K on a boat...they get a professional documented survey to help make an informed decision on a purchase as well as to satisy insurance requirements.
You might be surprised what your insurer really wants - have you asked them? Regardless, if the primary motivation for the survey is to satisfy your insurer then perhaps they can recommend a surveyor that is satisfactory to their requirements.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Hi,
I'm the new guy here with a grand total of ZERO posts!
Recently sold our home and soon to be live aboards. I am looking for a certified marine surveyor in the Cape area of Massachusetts for a mid 80's trawler type boat. The broker has recommended someone and it appears that this person has an excellent reputation based on web searches.....but I am concerned about any "conflict of interest" issues. Can anyone here recommend a surveyor or two?
Thanks
John
John: Ask the surveyor for some referrals and call those referrals. Ask them what the surveyor missed. Would they hire him again? Was the report detailed? Etc. A broker can't successfully work in an area and not know who the good surveyors are.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #20

Thanks everyone! I will make some calls and ask some questions and hopefully find a good surveyor.
John