Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 36
surveyor recommendations

Looking for a recommendation for a " good " marine surveyor in the Annapolis area for a FG trawler - thanks

tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
A boating friend from Annapolis recommended and I used Atlantic Seaboard Marine Surveyors to survey the 2003 Monk 36 I bought in 2008. I would recommend them based on my exprience then.
Atlantic Seaboard Marine Surveyors, Inc., Chester, Maryland - Reno O. Panico, SAMSģ AMSģ - Marine Surveyor
I had nothing odd crop up undiscovered in the survey.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I do pre buys my self buy could not do my own vessel for new hull insurance. I used Stem to Stern out of Middletown. 302-750-6745 butcheye@gmail.com. Butch Immediato SAMS # 1066. Never met before. Got alot more back then I expected for darn good fee. I am impressed. Does not miss anything. You do not want a drive by.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Youngstown NY
Vessel Name: Vahevala
Vessel Model: 37' 1987 Newburyport
marine surveyors

We bought our trawler in the Annapolis area last fall and had Chris Oliver survey the engine (perkins diesel) and Peter Hartoft survey the vessel. Both were excellent and "user friendly" and they worked well together. They performed a thorough survey and were open to questions when done. Reports were received within days post survey. Highly recommended!
Vahevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Is that common having an engine surveyor and a "rest of boat" surveyor? Do they both go out on a sea trial?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993guy View Post
Is that common having an engine surveyor and a "rest of boat" surveyor? Do they both go out on a sea trial?
It depends on your knowledge of engines and/or how much you are willing to risk.

The boat I recently bought has twin Cummins diesels. I did not know much about Cummins and that is somewheres around $60k worth of engines down there. I got an engine survey. My previous boat was 2 years old when I bought it and it had 150 hours on a single Yanmar 4LHA-STP. I did not get an engine survey. I was fairly certain the engine was just fine and did not feel I was taking much risk. I did not get an engine survey. And it did not bite me later. I sold the boat 900 hours later and still running great!

The older slow turning diesels(ie Lehmans) are extremely simple and you can almost tell everything you need to know just by a cold start and if there is any blowby....and also smoke. Oil samples are basically worthless for prepurchase purposes.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

City: Hampton Va
Vessel Name: Flight
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I just used East Coast Surveying to do a Monk 36 in Rock Hall Md. He will look over the engine and can take an oil sample if necessary. But if an older boat with an older engine you may be better served to get a more complete engine survey. This is the second time I have used East Coast and have been very happy with both surveys. Contact info:
East Coast Surveying Inc.
Steve Sanders A.M.S.
410-643-0275
cjenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 36
Thanks everyone for your suggustions & comments but the search continues. Its becoming a real education. The most important thing we've learned thus far is - buyer beware when dealing with " yacht brokers " - they misrepresent and distort the truth, omit major issues with the boat and show only the good photos - its becoming a great education but we continue to move forward. Its a real problem when you live in Western North Carolina and have a 8 hour drive to the east or gulf coast. Again Thanks
tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
PM sent
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993guy View Post
Mine did, and my "general" surveyor was a rare one who does engines as well, it got a bit competitive out there.
Good practice to have both, lot of $ in engines,genset etc. My mechanic was at the haul out too, he checked the running gear, skin fittings, the metal side of things. Some things crossover between hull and mechanical.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote