Old 05-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

City: Pacific Northwest
Surveyor recommendation-Seattle

Hey all. First want to say thanks for everyone who has replied to my posts previously. This weekend we found our boat. It is a Tolly! We have had Matt Harris survey a previous boat for us but he is unavailable unfortunately in our time frame. Can anyone else recommend someone who is knowledgeable about Tollys?

Thanks!
seaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Reisner, McEwen & Associates have surveyed two of my boats. I was very happy with their thoroughness and with the report they supplied me afterwards.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
David Wilson and his son operate out of Edmonds and they are very thorough.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Congrats on choosing a Tolly.

I recommend you go to Tollycraft Boating Club "forum" http://www.tollyclub.com/forums/forum.php ... and, ask for best surveyor in its search feature as well as to join the forum and place a thread requesting surveyor name. Join the Tollycraft Club too... great folks with much Tolly knowledge. You get name plackets and a really nice Tolly burgee upon joining the club. I've been flying mine for seven years... still in real good condition; never take it down so wind and sun have not been an issue for last-ability.

What year, length, model Tolly is it you want surveyed before purchase?

Happy Tolly Daze! Fun, well built, and comfortable boats to be sure! - Cheers!! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #5

City: Pacific Northwest
Thanks Art. I am a member and did post but have not had any response. It is a 40' tri cabin repowered with Cummins diesels. It is awesome. We unfortunately have a short time frame for the survey and about every recommended surveyor is booked out several weeks.
seaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
We used Jay McEwen a number of years ago for an insurance survey. He was very thorough.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaK View Post
Thanks Art. I am a member and did post but have not had any response. It is a 40' tri cabin repowered with Cummins diesels. It is awesome. We unfortunately have a short time frame for the survey and about every recommended surveyor is booked out several weeks.
40,tri cabin are nice Tollys!

With surveyors booked - shows pleasure and other boating types are having a good year. Try the Tolly forum search. Believe I've seen PNW surveyor recommendations over recent years.

Best Luck! - Art
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #8

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Since this thread is a couple years old I'd like to renew the question; I'm looking for a good surveyor in the PNW for a 40-ft trawler (in the tug family), possibly in the near future.
Also, can anyone comment on the approximate anticipated cost of the survey & sea trial?
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Matt Harris's name comes up repeatedly in these threads. He is often very busy.

I used Steve Berg to survey my boat and felt he did a decent job. Very few things that I have found over the past year of ownership that he didn't spot on the survey. His bill was $731 ($17/ft). Berg Marine Services out of Anacortes.

The other thing you will want to look at is a mechanical survey. I used Hutton Marine out of Shilshole. The cost for that was $767.

I was able to schedule (with the help of the broker) to have the survey, sea trial, haul out, and mechanical survey all done on the same day. We did it at Everett. It worked out very well.

Remember you will need to add in the cost of the haul out out (typically you can just have them haul the boat, and let it hang while the hull survey is being done. If you think you will be buying the boat, purchase some anodes and change those while it is out of the water. Anodes are relatively inexpensive and cheaper to replace on the hard than to have a diver do it. I believe the cost for the Haul/hang is a bit over $4/foot.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Matt Harris's name comes up repeatedly in these threads. He is often very busy.

I used Steve Berg to survey my boat and felt he did a decent job. Very few things that I have found over the past year of ownership that he didn't spot on the survey. His bill was $731 ($17/ft). Berg Marine Services out of Anacortes.

The other thing you will want to look at is a mechanical survey. I used Hutton Marine out of Shilshole. The cost for that was $767.

I was able to schedule (with the help of the broker) to have the survey, sea trial, haul out, and mechanical survey all done on the same day. We did it at Everett. It worked out very well.

Remember you will need to add in the cost of the haul out out (typically you can just have them haul the boat, and let it hang while the hull survey is being done. If you think you will be buying the boat, purchase some anodes and change those while it is out of the water. Anodes are relatively inexpensive and cheaper to replace on the hard than to have a diver do it. I believe the cost for the Haul/hang is a bit over $4/foot.
Ahhhh... "little" hidden costs in boat search/survey/ownership/upkeep.

With 21st Century latter portion of its 2nd decade's diminishing level of value per dollar... maybe we should raise the monetary definition of "Boat Buck" from $1,000 to $1,500! Just dwelling on the subject! - LOL
Old 04-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
With 21st Century latter portion of its 2nd decade's diminishing level of value per dollar... maybe we should raise the monetary definition of "Boat Buck" from $1,000 to $1,500! Just dwelling on the subject! - LOL

You are probably right, but it is just too depressing to contemplate.

I have been spending money on the boat recently. Nothing terribly expensive (other than a mechanic bill I have yet to see), but it all adds up. This wee I am having some Pfifertex shades made for the outside of the PH windows. 6/10s of a boat buck. We are also discussing pulling the trigger on some inside shades for the saloon. Not sure what God cost would be three yet.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You are probably right, but it is just too depressing to contemplate.

I have been spending money on the boat recently. Nothing terribly expensive (other than a mechanic bill I have yet to see), but it all adds up. This wee I am having some Pfifertex shades made for the outside of the PH windows. 6/10s of a boat buck. We are also discussing pulling the trigger on some inside shades for the saloon. Not sure what God cost would be three yet.
Just spent $1.75K on ours ~ Yahoo! First time in over 8 years since needing [well, desiring anyway] to have a mechanic do the work rather than me! Parts alone were the $.75K. Mechanic saved me a lot of time seeing as boat is 200 mile round trip from house.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Mike McGlenn out of Bellingham. Best, most complete surveyor I've ever come across. My friend, the late Capt. John Aydelotte of TowBoatUS out of Deception Pass, used Mike to survey all the boats he bought for his personal, towing and salvage fleet. That was always the best endorsement I ever heard.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote