Survey and Sea Trial Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Generally if I see a lot of very recent builds up for sale, I'm quite worried and have negative feelings toward it. However, there are a couple of exceptions and I think the brand you're referencing may be one. Some brands are sold in a very skewed percentage to novice boaters, or at least novice in that size boat. They really don't know what they're getting into or if they will like it or have time for it. It's much like IPS drive systems being pushed heavily on beginners as a magic cure for docking problems. On the other hand, I know one brand that had some models hit the used market at record speed and it did reflect major problems with that model.

Well, let's hear the brand breakdown!!!! No reason to be secretive. You might save someone some money!!!

Well, let's hear the brand breakdown!!!! No reason to be secretive. You might save someone some money!!!

Boats like Mainship have a lot of new boaters as customers. First time buying a boat in that size range. That's why you'd see 6 on the market, less than 2 years old. Sea Ray would have a huge volume of first time buyers of larger boats. There are 118 Sea Rays listed on YW, less than 2 years old. Sea Ray dominates the market, Marine Max is huge, so lots of first time buyers. I'd say in both of those cases, it can be a fine boat that someone bought and found out they didn't have time to boat or their family wasn't really into it. I've seen in one area of the US, Prestige doing a lot of business with first time buyers. Princess has a strong dealer group and sells to a lot of people buying their first 50' boat. That's why knowing the reason can be helpful. There are good opportunities out there in purchasing boats that are on the market because the previous buyer didn't have time to use it.

On the other hand, sometimes these new users had problems such as running aground several times and that chased them away. Good reason for surveys even on "almost new" boats.

Sometimes it was just the wrong boat for a buyer. However, if an experienced boater purchased a new Carver and puts in on the market in one year while preparing to buy something else, such as a Meridian or Sea Ray, then I might be skeptical. Perhaps it has issues that in 18 months he was never able to get sorted out.

As to a specific boat, my best example is not one that impacts this forum, but I've mentioned before. Marlow introduced a 97' boat. All three boats sold were on the used market in less than two years. That would indicate a problem and that boat did have serious problems.

Then there is the Sea Ray L Series. I love Sea Ray and loved the L650 when we went out on one. We strongly considered buying one. However, the person most encouraging us to do so, then let us see his list of issues and things to still be corrected as he was going to drop it off at the factory for a few weeks after the season. He still loved the boat, but I would have come completely unraveled seeing his list of what had already been fixed and what was still to go. There are eleven of the L Series, 2015 and 2016 as it wasn't introduced until 2015, on the used market. I would examine those very carefully and suspect some just got tired of all the problems. I think Sea Ray rushed these to the market too fast because traditionally their boats have been delivered pretty trouble free. All the things are fixable, but they add up to a nightmare. Here's an Example of a 2016 L 650 Fly.

This boat must go. Owner needs it gone before ordering his new boat! All reasonable offers considered.

This 65 has been captain maintained since day one. This was not a stock boat, it was ordered and built for owner. It has options and features no other 65 has.

Double Sea keeper, extended fuel tank, water maker and completely custom interior

Owner sure went to a lot of trouble and effort to design and build his perfect boat and in less than a year is wanting to sell it and get a different boat. I would want a much fuller explanation of what is going on.

The ultimate point is that almost new boats can be an incredibly good buy or they can be assuming problems the original purchaser couldn't work through.

There were a lot of high performance bass boats on the lake we lived on. Even with the top brands, there was a significant difference from boat to boat. You buy one like your buddy has and his goes 60 mph and yours won't go but 55 mph. You're upset. The boat was popped out of the same mold, but they are hand laid and there are differences.

I learned so much at my sea trial and survey. I would not have bought the boat if I wasn't present for that. It's a golden opportunity to ask a ton of questions and get detailed answers.

Back
Top Bottom