Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
Does any one know the approx. cost of replacing seals on Trac stabilizers? I read on line, that the company recommends changing every six years. But this boat saw only about 200 hours of operation since the stabilizers where installed. Does this extend their life?

Thanks gordon
Gordon

My Wesmar seals are about $1300 installed. BTW, forget about hours only whether seals, engines or transmissions. Time is a key factor too, your books should say the same.

Also there is a great article on boat diesel about after cooler servicing on your Cummins.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
Does any one know the approx. cost of replacing seals on Trac stabilizers? I read on line, that the company recommends changing every six years. But this boat saw only about 200 hours of operation since the stabilizers where installed. Does this extend their life?

Thanks gordon
At a yard you're looking at a $1500 - $2000 job I'd say. Or less perhaps for small units.

I'd change them and be done with it.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #23
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Captain Bill,

I think you're right. I will have to haul the boat and paint the bottom as soon as I buy it. I will probably use that opportunity to also change the seals. Unless I can find some evidence that they have been recently changed.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I learned that surveyors and shipwrights see things a little differently. My surveyor scared me out of the purchase of the boat we currently own. The PO would not accept a lower offer. The PO came back to me about 7 weeks later with a counter offer. I brought a good friend and shipwright down to look at the issues the surveyor identified and he had a much different perspective on the situation that pertained to the decks. And my shipwright gave me an idea what the rudder repair would entail. In the end I did shave $20k off the original offer.

I won't be buying another boat unless the current one is somehow destroyed or lost, or I win the next big lottery. However, if there is a "next time", I would bring my shipwright with me for an inspection prior to survey.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Do the maintenance logs have historical oil analysis as well? It's the trend that really counts, one offs may indicate a disaster or just a bad sample. Low hour engines can have plenty of issues due to lack of use.

This is a much smaller boat, but our Hatteras took two days for the mechanicals and one very long day for the hull. I was lucky, both surveyors were excellent communicators and the engine guy threw a free (and really well done) orientation in on the deal if I bought the boat, and free phone support if we had any questions.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
caltexflanc,

Many of the ideas I have received here are great and some fall into the too little too late category. This thread ought to be somehow combined with the buying a boat 101 thread. Surveying - both the conduct of, and interpreting the results - are critical pieces to the boat buying process.

No one involved in this survey mentioned an inability to conduct their work in a day. I am flying in the day before and returning home the day after the survey. The surveyors are local and could devote more time should it be required.

I regret not making an owners handover a part of the original sales contract. I would love to know how the current owner ran the boat. The charging system, with four chargers and four banks, is much more complicated than that on my sailboat. I think I saw a battery combiner in the ER, but don't think it was labeled. I can figure it out by tracing wires, of course, but having the owner there would have saved me hours of head scratching.

I am also unsure of the electronics, but am guessing the autopilot is paired with the Raymarine RL series chart plotters and the Garmin 4212 installed alongside in the flybridge is more for situational awareness and navigation.

Perhaps the owner will showup on survey day, but if not, he is taking a big risk that some system will be thought inoperable because of operator error. I can't imagine letting someone buy my boat without me being there at the survey, to ensure that all understand how things work.

RE oil samples, the log books are as complete and detailed as I have seen. I have not seen oil sample analysis. I owned a trucking company and well understand how the trend is important more so than a one-time shot. But, it is still better than nothing. I have not had time to go through the maintenance log in detail, but from my cursory look, it appears that everything was done in accordance with the manual.

Gordon

Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote