Old 08-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Steep ocean waves are one thing...till you get into truly strong gale conditions they are annoying but haven't presented much of a threat unless against the current or as Murray suggested from different directions and amplified in magnitude.

Breaking waves from shallowing water are another whole animal as their faces will vetical and roll more so than the crumbling tops of ocean waves.

I know not very technical...but I would rather be in 16 foot ocean waves (up to gale force or so) than 8 foot breakers in my trawler....even 4 foot breakers would make me squeamish.
There are a couple spots in the middle of Hecate Strait that are 6 fathoms...imagine what a horror it would be seeing a wave bottom out and explode right in front of you, in the middle of nowhere.

"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #22
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If my oceanography understanding is accurate...6 fathoms would start to stack up a wave with a period of 18 seconds ....a long fetch wave of 18 seconds would have a height of 12 feet.

Believe me...these are rough rules of thumb I have remembered through the years so any oceanographers or more educated plese help as this seems a bit out of what Murry would be seeing. sounds like you must get some pretty drastic wave formation and cruising conditions in those straights.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:23 AM   #23
Dauntless Award
City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Hobo's FD. This picture was taken from a jet ski as we were crossing a river bar at high slack. We were at WOT as the waves passed underneath us. More speed I think would have added more excitement. You didn't want to get sideways no matter how fast you were going.
You were on a surfing safari

M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently in Western Europe
Find us:
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote