Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Surely they are kidding..

I am currently looking for boarding steps that attach midships and stay level with the dock as the tide goes up and down. In my search I came across this article, at first I thought it was just what I was looking for....... that is, until I got to the bottom of the page where it gives the msrp.

Stowable Carbon Fiber Boarding Stairs – Yachts International

Now I realize that a boarding ladder is an extremely complex device made from rare alloys and exotic hardwoods and constructed to withstand re-entry to earths atmosphere but somewhere, somehow, common sense just has to prevail, even to the uber-rich. That said, I am quite aware of the unwritten law of economics that anything even remotely related to a marine application be it a light bulb or a bungee cord "must be" marked up far and beyond what any sane, rational non-boater would pay and I accept that. After all, anyone who is foolish enough to own a boat is clearly foolish enough to spend $20,000.00 to $40,000.00 on a ladder so they can get on their boat.

The catch-phrases "Spending money like a drunken sailor" or "a fool and their money" are soon parted, instantly comes to mind

I took a look at this company's web site, very impressive but unfortunately they have no boarding steps in the $18,000.00 to $19,000.00 range or I would have bought one for each side of my boat. Their loss for being greedy.

I think I'll go get a skill saw and some 2X4's.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
No, they are not kidding and the product is fabulous.

When you charter your boat for $500K a week (plus food, booze, and fuel) do you want the teenage daughter of a multi-billionaire to trip and fall overboard from your 2X4 ladder?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Kinda weird though if the steps cost more than the lawyer's bill if someone did trip...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Man do I feel your pain

I just bought a rebuild kit for my 38 year old Onan generators raw water pump. $274 dollars for two bearings, two seals, an impeller, 9 screws, an end plate and a couple of o rings.
You might look at this set up 5 Step Boarding Stairs - Tracy | BL-500 | Boat Depot. This is what came with my boat. The steps and rail separate and fold flat.
These are just 10% of your $18,000 budget.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I just bought a rebuild kit for my 38 year old Onan generators raw water pump. $274 dollars for two bearings, two seals, an impeller, 9 screws, an end plate and a couple of o rings.
Wait until you have to replace the entire pump. . . If you can find one, that is!!!!
Most have been discontinued!! There are reasonably priced satisfactory work arounds that eliminate the problematic Onan gear driven raw water pump entirely.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

Those cheap aluminum things are nasty. They feel so shaky and flimsy that walking on them makes me nervous. They are among the reasons a Med tie is so popular if the boat doesn't have a substantial built-in side ladder, you can use the passerelle as it feels solid and sturdy and is far safer.

You can buy 2-buck Chuck and Spanish "champagne" too, or lean a 2X12 across the rail but it is a world apart from the high quality stuff.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #8

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
I think I'll go with the 2X12 across the rail and save my 40K to buy some new boarding mats ....or perhaps a new boat.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Try to keep in mind that anything like this is pretty low volume manufacturing, essentially hand built, unlike an IPod or such where millions are sold.

Carbon fiber is pretty over the top, hence the price. The aluminum ones in post #5 seem about right for what you get.

Now if you want to save some money, go to a mobile home supply store and buy a set of pre-made wooden steps with handrail.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: Tampa
What is it they say about a fool and his money????
Carbon fiber, aluminum...ok, the parts are expensive, but come on...
20-40k...
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
What is it they say about a fool and his money???? Carbon fiber, aluminum...ok, the parts are expensive, but come on... 20-40k...
To be fair, the target demographic for this product does not hang out on a forum. I doubt their customers care or are even aware of the cost.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Guru

I can log on to jewelry stores that sell rings for hundreds of thousands of dollars...but I don't bother....obviously not my price range and neither are carbon fiber steps.

But like RickB said, they are to someone...

Some people make that kind of money in a couple hours...I'm not really sure how I feel about that...but I can't let it drive me crazy...
Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Woodside,Ca
Vessel Name: Roam'n
Vessel Model: Westcoast 46
steps

Try these.
Folding boat steps
Rickized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
We have the ones that Rickized has on the link from Marquipt. They work great for us but they do take a minute or two to set up. We have our attached to the rail when we are not at a dock. The price that he has incredible even if they are used. Just make sure you have the attachment points that stay on the boat with the deal or find out if you can get them from Marquipt. Good luck.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
To be fair, the target demographic for this product does not hang out on a forum. I doubt their customers care or are even aware of the cost.
I'm sure you're right.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
TI doubt their customers care or are even aware of the cost.
They are very aware of the price. They are also very aware of how much safer they feel using it and the impression that ladder makes on their guests.

The things are incredible, it is just that simple. There is no comparison to the shaky rattling flimsy aluminum things.

Besides, the people who pay for them make that much money in the time it takes to authorize the payment.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
They are very aware of the price. They are also very aware of how much safer they feel using it and the impression that ladder makes on their guests.

The things are incredible, it is just that simple. There is no comparison to the shaky rattling flimsy aluminum things.

Besides, the people who pay for them make that much money in the time it takes to authorize the payment.
Hey, one of those "shaky rattling flimsy aluminum things" almost cut the tip of my pinky off in December helping my friend move his Viking MY.

No matter how careful I was, trying to remove it alone just was a cluster "F"...I recommended to him and I'm surprised the manufacturer didn't have a stop someplace to prevent the thing from scissoring completely flat before you want it to.

If you buy one...I suggest you install a safety stop.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Somehow I think, and hope, that even if I won the Powerball someday or became as rich as Bill Gates with money to burn, I still wouldn't spend that much on a few stairs. I'm sure some high rollers can afford to light charcoal grills with $100 bills too but that's still a ridiculous thing to do. (But then I suppose if you're that rich somebody lights your grill for you.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Somehow I think, and hope, that even if I won the Powerball someday or became as rich as Bill Gates with money to burn, I still wouldn't spend that much on a few stairs. I'm sure some high rollers can afford to light charcoal grills with $100 bills too but that's still a ridiculous thing to do. (But then I suppose if you're that rich somebody lights your grill for you.)
Exactly!

I guess thinking back on what RickB said, if you make that much coin regularly, you probably do have:
1) A legitimate need to impress someone (politicians, sports figures, clients, etc.)
2) A concern over liability. Remember, you now have deep pockets and are a target for...well, everyone.
3) A full crew

The cost of these, reminds me of what we used to call the "Corvette Tax." If you can afford a Corvette, you can afford the same Chevy part at a substantially higher cost." Add some bling (Carbon Fiber/Chrome, etc.) and you had the Corvette Tax.

While I still don't see 20-40k in them, and I think that it's stupid (none of these folks are going to give a rats arse what I think LOL), I guess if you can afford it, go for it. It might not be a bad investment based on the first two concerns.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I think I figured out their pricing. Looking at their website, Bristolyachtcomponents.com, it says they were founded in 2011 to produce "high quality components" for yacht owners and manufacturers. To date, the stairs are their only product. They are either making a killing off the stairs, or they just can't think of any thing else worthwhile to make!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote