Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #121
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,712
Yes Floyd we do like our Willard and I agree about the berth .. but it's only a 30' boat. And I'd love another 4 sq ft of space in the cabin to put a floor mounted heating stove like a Dickenson Arctic. But our Wabasto works well. I'd like to turn the aft settee into a small dinette but that's the only sizable change we have planned. I actually like the wire "railing" as it works well and minimizes the clutter over the bow. I'd like to modify the bow to mount an anchor like this ........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0758 copy.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	14826  
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #122
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Yes Floyd we do like our Willard and I agree about the berth .. but it's only a 30' boat. And I'd love another 4 sq ft of space in the cabin to put a floor mounted heating stove like a Dickenson Arctic. But our Wabasto works well. I'd like to turn the aft settee into a small dinette but that's the only sizable change we have planned. I actually like the wire "railing" as it works well and minimizes the clutter over the bow. I'd like to modify the bow to mount an anchor like this ........
Dickenson Artic? will have to9 check them out. I would be afraid of gouging my bow with an anchor mounted like in the pix. I understand wanting to keep it low and unobstrusive to the pilot house veiw. I had a sunrunner once that had a paddlefish like bow designed for the anchor and it not only blocked the veiw but changed the boats handling charactoristics at high speed like a rudder.
__________________

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #123
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,712
I'm a tad bit worried about the structure as I plan to cut a V shaped knotch in the raised deck instead of the hole seen in this pic and eliminate the bronze bow chock you see. But it would probably be better for resale value and bow strength if I did it like in this photo. I could insert a SS breast hook over the top of the caprails too. I think Willard should have built the boat this way but in the early 70s most boaters were probably using Danforths. I think the Claw was a brand new thing then.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #124
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
After repairing a 26 foot Shamrock where the entire foredeck was ripped off...and looking at the picture...my guess is there is very little strength imparted by the sides above the main deck.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #125
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,275
Well seeing as we are showing what the view from our steering stations are here's mine. As you can see there is a lot of open space and unobstructed view to see any hazards, especially the sea floor atm. Good things shes on land ay! bwahahahahahahahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-113011481.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	14847  
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #126
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Well seeing as we are showing what the view from our steering stations are here's mine. As you can see there is a lot of open space and unobstructed view to see any hazards, especially the sea floor atm. Good things shes on land ay! bwahahahahahahahaha
get a few rolls of clear plastic for sheathing and she may float fine and still give unobstructed veiws.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #127
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

get a few rolls of clear plastic for sheathing and she may float fine and still give unobstructed veiws.
Hahaha oh now ya tell me after I spent copious amounts on ply! :-D
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #128
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hahaha oh now ya tell me after I spent copious amounts on ply! :-D
I would love to see her when she is ready for the waves with either type of sheathing. How big will she be and how many engines? Will she have an owners cabin and crew quarters? What kind of a dinghy will she carry?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #129
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. No worries Mate. Use transparent aluminum.

List of Star Trek materials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #130
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. No worries Mate. Use transparent aluminum.

List of Star Trek materials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #131
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

I would love to see her when she is ready for the waves with either type of sheathing. How big will she be and how many engines? Will she have an owners cabin and crew quarters? What kind of a dinghy will she carry?
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post121236

G'day bfloyd,
Yeah can't wait myself mate. She'll be a beauty. I've got a thread on here and post up pics etc so if you're into that kinda thing have a look. I welcome advice and tips as this is the first boat I have ever attempted to strip down to nothing and rebuild it.

Basically the boat will be 11mtrs long and 3mtrs wide. It will have epoxy encapsulated 18mm ply. (1.5ltrs per side = 3ltrs per sheet x 40 sheets = 120 ltrs of 100% solids expoy) she will be powered by a Perkins 6.354 diesel (currently being rebuilt also). She will have a stateroom on the bow with a queen bed. She will have a separate toilet and separate shower. She will have hot and cold fresh water, a kitchen, meals/dining area and a large deck at the rear etc etc etc. tender will probably just be a hard bottom inflatable zodiac type. Bit a ways away from that yet :-)

iPad Forum Runner
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #132
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. No worries Mate. Use transparent aluminum.

List of Star Trek materials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah nice! Bit out of my price range I would suspect. That and I'm sure the folks at the beaches wouldn't wanna see my bare arse when I'm sleeping in the arvo after a couple of pints lol

iPad Forum Runner
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #133
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post121236

Link to Hendo's thread for those interested.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #134
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post121236

Link to Hendo's thread for those interested.
thanks Craig
__________________

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012