Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #101
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But re what psneeld said I agree w as I've seen FG boats that have been pounded to death on exposed beaches and it's obvious they put up a very commendable fight.
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin 1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	14784   Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	14785  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #102
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #103
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Good Gawwddd Marin that's not a pretty sight!

However tough or strong that boat was .. it lost the battle.

I see it's FG. Wood GB would probably be scattered.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #104
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
A junk-built wood boat or a junk-built fiberglass boat are both just that - JUNK-BUILT BOATS! A well-built wood boat or a well-built fiberglass boat are both just that - WELL-BUILT BOATS!

THE DIFFERENCE IS (for well-built boats):
1. Wood softens/rots, fasteners loosen/corrode, and worms can bore in. That said - there are ways to limit these wood afflictions and there is (nearly) always a way to rebuild damaged wood... albeit sometimes at great effort/expense. And, some wood types and original build-out methods are considerably less likely to experience the detrimental afflictions therefore being easier to maintain and requiring less repair efforts.
2. Fiberglass can get brittle, have blisters develop, and allow enough water intrusion into the fiber mats and resin that the entire area softens to point of failure/delaminating. That said – there are ways to limit these fiberglass afflictions and there is (nearly) always a way to rebuild damaged fiberglass... albeit sometimes at great effort/expense. And, some fiberglass resin and fiber cloth as well as original build-out methods are considerably less likely to experience the detrimental afflictions therefore being easier to maintain and requiring less repair efforts.

So, I say: If you like wood or you like fiberglass boats (or steel or aluminum boats – each also having their needs for good material, correct build-out, and maintenance) just make sure your boat was well built to begin with and then care for it as its particular material and original build-out methods dictate/require. But, most importantly in the life of “Pleasure Boating” - - Enjoy Yourself as much as possible... cause this life we lead has no second play! This Is It – Good Luck!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #105
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Like this?
The wooden stern appeared to hold up well...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #106
Art
Guru

Marin - After seeing your picts of thrashed GB on beach... I went into my post just below yours and added the word "(nearly)" in two locations re wood and fiberglass! lol
Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #107
Scraping Paint

City: -
Spy-- As I'm sure you know but for anyone who doesn't, the "wood" transom on a GB is just decorative teak planks screwed into a recess on the full-thickness fiberglass transom.

Eric--- These photos were originally posted by another Forum member after the tidal surges following the Japanese earthquake/tsunami the other year. The boat was washed out of the Brookings, Oregon harbor and down the coast. At some point it was washed ashore and beat up by the waves.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #108
Art
Guru

Just for S&G - Here's a pict of 40 Tollycraft that a few years ago hit beach at some 12 to 14 knots in PNW (old folks fell asleep while on AP). Some of you in this forum might recognize the location!?!? Article said no one hurt and no hull damage, just beat-up drive train underwater parts. I guess a good wood hull would probably be fairly OK too, seeing as the gravel/sand beach-slide had gradual elevation change!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40' Tolly - PNW.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	14790  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #109
Master and Commander

A good reason to have a single, keel-protected propeller/rudder.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #110
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A good reason to have a single, keel-protected propeller/rudder.
Mark - You got that one right! That is if you plan to skid onto a beach, or not watch your depth finder closely so you keep boat in deep enough waters, or simply don't pilot from fly bridge so you can see dead heads and other debris in order to miss em! I always pilot from bridge... except in the most severe weather conditions... then I might wish I had full skeg and keel for prop protection if debris went under our hull. Boat Ownership = Trade Offs!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #111
FF
Guru

Fiberglass can get brittle,

True but of no consequence IF we are discussing well built boats.

A boat hull needs a 400% safety margin to get USCG cert to carry over 6 pax.

This is figured as an open top tea cup, the internal structure or deck does not count .

At this excellent level of construction the boat basically does not flex , so resin becoming a bit more brittle over the decades is meaningless.

Those cracks under step surfaces etc , are examples of too thin too weak construction, an overload flexed the surface too far.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #112
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

A boat hull needs a 400% safety margin to get USCG cert to carry over 6 pax.

Where did that little gem come from?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #113
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
You're right psneeld. Wood boats don't have a good reputation for puncture resistance. And I'll admit that one of the reasons I bought the Willard is that it has a robust hull. I hit a rock at anchor w Willy and still can't figure out how it could seem like we hit so hard. No damage. Hit a log in Clearance Strait at cruising speed and it went BOOM! I thought for sure we'd been holed. Threw the hatches open looked everywhere but no water came aboard. Hit a full grown Humpback whale (T boned him) at over 6 knots and stopped in about 2'. No damage I THINK. But there is what appears to be a verticle crack on the leading edge right where we hit the whale. Gonna grind a bit and put a FG expert on it to see if all's well.

But I think puncture resistance w planked hulls and plywood hulls ate not to be compared as anywhere equal. Plywood has incredible puncture resistance but it's only as strong as the keels, chine logs and fasteners that hold it in place. If you use epoxy, FG, filler and radised overlays it may be stronger than a 100% FG boat. But of course it's not then a wood boat ... or is it? The only larger boat I built was a plywood boat and I don't think I could have built it out of FG.. I don't think it could have taken the beating at sea that I gave the plywood boat. I've been known to jump the wake of the ferry Wikersham (an older sea going Alaska State ferry) going 21 knots at close to that speed myself. A very airborne and bent leg experience. The plywood boat seemed to think it was fun too.

And I think cold moulded and other composite hulls are stronger than FG by a long shot.

But a planked hull like carvel or batten seam construction would not be so puncture resistant but the ability to take a smashing from waves and seas are probably right up there.

But re what psneeld said I agree w as I've seen FG boats that have been pounded to death on exposed beaches and it's obvious they put up a very commendable fight.
Who's talking puncture resistance? I'm talking mostly popped planks....the USCG is fed up with the requirement to inspect fastenings on commercial planked inspected vessels because they get beat up for making owners tear into their boat too often...but as many that pop a plank and sink...what are ya gonna do?

And as far as taking a beating...a mild chop will pop a plank if the fasteners have all but disintegrated...and there's the rub...you never know their condition without pulling a plank and inspecting. A well made planked boat may last for hundreds of years...but it only takes an unusual set of circumstances for some fastenings to deteriorate and once you pop a plank the chances of saving the boat are pretty low....unless like any sinking boat you get her beached fast.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #114
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Fiberglass boats have plenty of examples of landing on rocks or reefs and grinding away for hours with little or no damage while wood boats in a few feet of chop let alone hitting a deadhead have popped a plank and sank.

The USCG has all but legislated against planked wooden vessels for inspected vessels... I wonder why...
thanks, wasnt aware of that. I was speaking from my experiance and i have seen glass shatter but never wood. wood also tends to float whereis glass goes down like a rock.
I'm gonna ask my insurance company for some numbers on this issue
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #115
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
thanks, wasnt aware of that. I was speaking from my experiance and i have seen glass shatter but never wood. wood also tends to float whereis glass goes down like a rock.
I'm gonna ask my insurance company for some numbers on this issue
Good luck...
By the way fiberglass doesn't "shatter"....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Good luck...
By the way fiberglass doesn't "shatter"....
it can and does splinter depending upon how it was layed up but then so does wood
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #117
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Mark - You got that one right! That is if you plan to skid onto a beach, or not watch your depth finder closely so you keep boat in deep enough waters, or simply don't pilot from fly bridge so you can see dead heads and other debris in order to miss em! I always pilot from bridge... except in the most severe weather conditions... then I might wish I had full skeg and keel for prop protection if debris went under our hull. Boat Ownership = Trade Offs!
I agree, but perhaps your dislike of the view from the pilothouse is because the dinghy is blocking your view.

Good view from my pilothouse:

Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #118
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I agree, but perhaps your dislike of the view from the pilothouse is because the dinghy is blocking your view.

Good view from my pilothouse:

That rubber-ducky dink is long gone! For years now, we have a classic fiberglass Crestliner tow-behind 50 hp o/b runabout with snap to windshield bimini.

Nothing against your pilothouse view, cause it does look nice in the pict and Iím sure it suits you well!! But... from a pilothouse the actual viewing capability as compared to fly bridge simply has no comparison, in may ways! As is true in boating Ė thereís always a trade off!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	14814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	14815  
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #119
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Here's my bow and there's no maze of metal tubing, big anchor or bow pulpit to mess it up either. And the "railing" is small wire like a sailboat. I'm very keen on my good view forward.

This is an edit,
I'm trying not to do thread creep and here I go/went again. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0558 copy.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	14816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0293 copy.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	14817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0363 copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	14818  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #120
Guru

dont care for the flexible railing but love the wrap around pilot house veiw. I've looked at many boats but the only one that had that, right, feel about it was a willard like yours with a flybridge named Loki. I think that feeling came because of her over all design and seaworthy look. However, the v berth was small without head room. I did love the lower helm station with the nice chart table directly behind the helm station.