Super Yacht Falls off of Transport Ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG. Can hardly wait to see how long that settlement takes. Carbon fiber on top of that.

Sounds like the finger pointing has already started.

I'd hate to be the person who made the phone call to the owner.

RE The cradle the yacht was 'blocked' on. "(owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew)"

That verbiage is very specific. No doubt it was part of the contract. I suspect there is probably a story behind this (e.g. owner insisted he block the vessel rather than the transport crew).

It will be hard to pin this on the tranport company when the owner assumed so much liability. It shoudl be easy to point to a buckled cradle and obsolve the transport company.

The contract will have very little to do with it. Billionaire’s are unpredictable, it will all depend it he wants to turn it into a pissing contest. If he just wants a new yacht he’ll turn to his insurance company and say pay up. If he wants to make a statement he’ll have a team of lawyers coming up with 5700 reasons why it’s everyone else’s fault.

Greetings,

Partially sunk? Picture from this link https://www.giornaledellavela.com/2019/05/28/my-song-cargo-compagnia-petersmay/

my-son-1024x576.jpg

Cradle was okay...attachment to the deck may have been insufficient. Need proof that attachment points didn’t fail first. (Thinking like a billionaires lawyer)

And this is exactly why I don’t own a super yacht!

[emoji849]

Insurance company lawyers will be looking at exclusions. Was this an intended use of boat from the perspective of the owners policy?

Let's see. I saw only one article that valued the boat at about $33 mil. Think it's a 200 footer. So $163,000 and change per foot. Nope- can't relate.

Learn something new every day. I didn't know a sailboat could be classified as super yacht.

Ted

All the cool billionaires have sailing super yachts! [emoji30]

Next time owner will cruise it :)
I did not even know that such a beast could be moved on a ship.

L

I did not even know that such a beast could be moved on a ship.

You might be surprised how big a ship you can move on a ship.

Disaster2000.Cole.13.jpg

USS Cole
505' long
31' draft
9,000 ton displacement

Ted

The lawyers are already looking at new luxury car brochures.

With 100% hindsight, that small ship (only about 13K deadweight tonnage) ship and the way the yacht was loaded on it looks like a disaster in the making. The yacht is aligned with the centerline of the ship with its tall mast left in place. That ship in the open seas of the Atlantic and Med is going to be lively which would work the deck attachments and the cradle quite a lot over time, weakening both, especially with the added moment of that mast. Notice that the smaller vessels are stowed athwartship. This monster should have been stowed at as much of an angle as possible on a bigger ship with is mast down.

This from a former USCG Unlimited Tonnage Master Upon Oceans, me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom