Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Yakima
Sunshine Coast, B.C.

We are leaving September 1st from Anacortes for a 2 1/2 week trip into British Columbia.* Our plan is to go through the Gulf Islands to Nanaimo, then up around Whiskey Golf and cut over to the mainland.*

Our previous trips further north have all been around Vancouver Island with our trailerable fishing boat.* We've been in the Broughtons, Desolation Sound, the West Coast and places in between.* We've never been up the Mainland coast of B.C.

We plan to start somewhere around Pender Harbour, go to Princess Louisa and maybe on to Desolation Sound.* I'm interested in hearing about any areas that you recommend to visit or avoid, the best anchoring locations, good restaurants in the towns and the safest places to get diesel fuel.* Any tips from you veterans of the coast?***

Thank you,

Lyle *******************
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Sunshine Coast, B.C.

Unless you really want to go to Nanaimo (which is a nice place to visit and has a fun city marina) you could go to Silva Bay instead and then run across the Strait of Georgia from there. That's what we do and it puts you just south of Whiskey Golf so you don't have to slither between it and Vancouver Island if it's active.

Some of the places we have visited up north that we particularly liked are Garden Bay in Pender Harbor, Prideaux Haven, Refuge Cove, Squirrel Cove, and Rebecca Spit. Grace Harbor and Von Donop are nice but since they're at the end of very long inlets it's more like being on a lake rather than salt water and there is no view to speak of from either one. But they are very peaceful and worth visiting at least once.

We have never taken a boat into Princess Louisa but we've taken the floatplane in several times over the years and it's well worth visiting although the long run up to Malibu does not seem all that interesting (from the air, maybe it is on the water).

Shots are Prideaux Haven, Refuge Cove store, Rebecca*Spit*(inside), Rebecca Spit (outside), Grace Harbor*

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 26th of August 2011 05:32:42 PM
Attached Thumbnails
11-grace harbor.jpg   09-rebecca spit.jpg   08-rebecca inside.jpg   04-refuge store.jpg   01-prideaux 1.jpg  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
RE: Sunshine Coast, B.C.

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Unless you really want to go to Nanaimo (which is a nice place to visit and has a fun city marina) *

*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, come on Marin, Nanaimo is the best. *Just like my home marina, Safeway store two blocks away.

Nice picture of Refuge Cove Store. . . . You should consider doing this for a living!!

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

We like Nanaimo. In fact we're planning to go there in a couple of weeks when we take friends through the northern Gulf Islands (we did the lower islands last year with them). But for a cruise that's going to head off across Georgia Strait we prefer going to Silva Bay and running diagonally across from there.

A place we've found that's nice to visit on the way back from Desolation Sound is Comox. We prefer running back down the Vancouver Island side of the Strait rather than back down the mainland and then have to cross over. Comox suprised me. I didn't expect much of it but the marina was nice and the town is fun to walk around it, and a historic mansion and its surrounding grounds have been turned into a great park.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Guru

I'm with you there! *Comox is nice. *Problem with Nanaimo there's to much shopping and restaurants. *The ladies love it and can't hardly get them out of town. *We would stop there for an overnight stay and end up staying two extra nights. *We usually take that route going to Desolation or Campbell River, making a three day trip out of it. Stop at Bedwell for customs and then, depending on the tides at Dodd Narrows, either Pirates Cove for the night or Nanaimo, jump off to Pender Harbor for the second night and Desolation the next night. *That's slow cruising at it's best.

But it's a great jumping off point for crossing over the straits heading north and well within the slowest boats range of Welcome Passage, Smugglers Cove or Pender Harbor.

Larry B
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Norwester wrote:
We are leaving September 1st from Anacortes for a 2 1/2 week trip into British Columbia.* Our plan is to go through the Gulf Islands to Nanaimo, then up around Whiskey Golf and cut over to the mainland.*

*Safest places to get diesel fuel.* Any tips from you veterans of the coast? *** * * * * * * **
*Lyle **

I don't know where you are starting from, but you probably want to top off with fuel on the U.S. side before getting out in the islands, either Anacortes or Bellingham if you are concerned about clean fuel. *Although I have bought fuel in Friday Hbr. with no problem, just more expensive.

I carry 500 gal and have done that very trip over three weeks without refueling. That included cruising, fishing, running two engines and the generator. *Diesel is quite a bit more out in the islands and in B.C.

Have a good trip

Larry B
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Mike wrote:
Quote:
You should consider doing this for a living!!

Larry B
Haha - I agree!* Hmm, maybe he does.

Mike
Palm Coast FL.
*No, I'm not a professional photographer other than I've shot a lot of air-to-air and water-action photos of floatplanes that have appeared on magazine covers, in my magazine articles way*back when, and in*my books.* So if the definition of a professional photographer is someone who makes money doing it, I've done this from time to time.* But we have photographers here at Boeing who from*a creative and*artistic point of view*make me look like a five year old with a Kodak Instamatic.

In the course of my career I've been a television studio*cameraman, a field sound recordist and soundtrack editor, a film cameraman (for documentaries and*regional and national telvision commercials),*a film editor, and an assistant director.* When*I finally got tired of all of that I moved here and joined Boeing.**I am what Boeing calls a "producer" but they use that term incorrectly.* In the real world a producer is the person with the money.* What I really am is a director, writer, and editor (initially film, now HD video). I also get involved in the initial concepts for most of the projects I do.

To succeed in this business you have to have a good eye even if you're not a photographer/videographer/director of photography.* You have to know what's good ,what isn't, and why.* So perhaps that's reflected in the happy snaps I take on our trips.* But I would never pretend to be a truly professional photographer.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
*So if the definition of a professional photographer is someone who makes money doing it, *

OK Marin . . . But just don't expect any money from us then! Off the subject, but about my favorite topic money:

I think we talked about this in another thread, How are they figuring moorage in Squalicum Harbor? Are they charging by the foot of the boat hull, overall length of the boat or dock length. *They're telling me at Cape Santa now that my 37' boat is 46' overall and have to go into the new 46' docks instead of the 40's? *I think they are having trouble filling their larger slips.

Larry B
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

As of right now Squalicum Marina is still charging by the length of the slip. I believe the only exceptions to this are the end ties. I think boats on end ties are charged for the overall length of the boat since the end tie docks are pretty long. We have been told in a newsletter that Squalicum Marina is studying the idea of changing to moorage fees based on the area of the boat (overall length x max width). Apparently more and more marinas in this area are going to this. So far Squalicum hasn't done it but I won't be surprised if they do.

I don't know the vacancy of slips in the marina. Most of the marina looks full to me. Last I heard the waiting list for a 40' slip was three to four years. However the two oldest docks in the marina (one of which we're on) are due to be replaced starting this fall. Many of the slips on these docks are empty but it's because the marina doesn't want to put boats in them that they'll then have to find temporary moorage for while the docks are being replaced.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Last I heard the waiting list for a 40' slip was three to four years. However the two oldest docks in the marina (one of which we're on) are due to be replaced starting this fall. Many of the slips on these docks are empty but it's because the marina doesn't want to put boats in them that they'll then have to find temporary moorage for while the docks are being replaced.
Same here in Cape Santa; replacing two more docks this fall probably around 150 slips. Current docks are 40 years old and have 40' slips on one side and 30' on the other and they'll be replaced by 40' on one side and 46' on the other. *All the 40' slips are full but the new 46' and 60' that have already been built are half empty. They want me to take one of the new 46' now. *I'm already paying for 46', as they measure from bow pulpit to the edge of dingy on the stern.

Also I hear the Swinoomish Slough bridge marina which finally got through the permitting process has now been put on hold by the tribe. *Apparently, they don't believe there is enough demand for another large marina right now. *But they are building another dry storage facility across the street from Anacortes Marina?

Thanks

Larry B
Old 08-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Everyone,

Thanks for all of the information.* We're starting from Skyline Marina in Anacortes and will fill our 300 gallon tank there.* We only burn about 3-4 gallons/hr at 8-9 knots, so I don't think we'll need to fill up in Canada.* I have heard stories about getting bad fuel at some of the smaller towns in B.C., so I don't want to add fuel unless needed.

We will definitely be stopping in Nanaimo.* For the last 20 years we've spent part of our vacation on Vancouver Island and my wife has a specific grocery store that she like to shop for our supplies.* I don't understand it, but it's one of her pleasures of the trip.* We also have a couple of restaurants that we like and the chart shop downtown is a great place to kill a couple of hours.

We're definitely headed for Pender Harbour and that area for a couple of days.* I've never been all charged up about going to Princess Louisa.* It seemed too popular and we generally like to get away from everyone for a while.* However, a sailboater that I talked to this summer described it as a "lifetime experience" and talked it up enough that I thought it would be worth the long side trip to see.*

Thanks for all the recommendations on places to see.* I hadn't planned on going back down the island side, but after the reviews of Comox, maybe we'll cross over and come back down through Campbell River and Comox.* I have no idea how fast we'll move or how far we will get.* I like to keep going and see what's around the next corner but my wife has started convincing me to slow down a bit and enjoy the journey.

Lyle

Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

Sunshine Coast, B.C.

Quote:
Norwester wrote:...maybe we'll cross over and come back down through Campbell River and Comox.

Just be aware that there are very few "duck-in" places along the Vancouver Island side of the strait.* The two runs-- from Campell River/Rebecca Spit/Harriot Bay to Comox and from Comox to Nanaimo--- are very long, particularly Comox-Nanaimo, so you want to make sure the winds aren't going to get nasty on the strait when you do it.* Pay particular attention to the winds off Qualicum Beach.* An onshore wind on the Pacific side of the island can come whipping through the pass to Port Alberni and then out over Georgia Strait causing nasty water conditions in that location even if the rest of the strait is behaving nicely.

Photo was taken by cruising companions as we were running together down the east shore of the island somwhere between Rebecca Spit and Comox.* It's pretty exposed water.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 28th of August 2011 09:13:18 AM
Attached Thumbnails
underway 1.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Marin,

Thanks for the heads up.* I have heard of the Qualicum winds, but never experienced them.* I had originally planned on running from Nanaimo to Comox to Campbell River but changed plans because it looked long and not that interesting.* We'll keep a close eye on the weather before we head back.

Lyle
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
Guru

Every trip we either get the rough water northbound or get it southbound on the way back, crossing the Straits of Georgia and it can change in the blink of an eye. *That 19 nm from Texada Island to Nanaimo can be as smooth as glass or your worse nightmare.

*Last trip we left Pender Harbour flat calm and it stayed that way until we came out from under the lee of Lasqueti Island. *Three to five foot white cap seas, an ass kicking the rest of the way into Nanaimo. *

To make matters worse, the rough water kicked up something in one of the fuel tanks and plugged the starboard engine fuel filter. *The Port engine draws off different fuel tanks and thank goodness it didn't miss a beat!!*

Larry B
Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Norwester wrote:I had originally planned on running from Nanaimo to Comox to Campbell River but changed plans because it looked long and not that interesting.
It's not all that interesting of a run other than it's nice just to be out on the water.* The run past Denman Island just south of Comox is interesting and if one has the time and the weather cooperates we've heard and read that Tribune Bay on the south side of Hornby Island next to Denman is really nice with a big sandy beach.

If you've not been into Comox before and you're coming down from the north read the cruising guide instructions on getting into the bay outside the harbor very carefully.* There is a very narrow channel* frm the Strait thorugh the shallows into the bay and you use a set of range markers on shore to keep to it.* But the shore is very far away and the range markers are not very obvious.* It's a watch-them-through-binoculars sort of deal.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The always changeable plan is to get supplies in Nanaimo, run to Schooner Cove and stay there overnight and then cross the Strait early the next morning.* My route shows it to be 11-12 miles from Schooner to Lasqueti Island.* I'm making the assumption that Whiskey Golf will be active.* If not, we'll probably just cross from Nanaimo.

I don't like hearing the story about plugged fuel filters in rough water.* We're a single, there is no switching to the other engine.* Our aluminum tanks are only 5 years old and the fuel in the tank gets turned over about 3 times during the season.* Filters have just been changed. Hopefully that all takes care of that issue.

Lyle
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Sunshine Coast, B.C.

Check the Environment Canada webpage (same info as the CG broadcasts).* Halibut Bank is the best reference for the crossing from Nanaimo to the mainland but*naturally its down right now.* Here's the link anyway:

http://text.weatheroffice.gc.ca/mari...tationID=46146

What you don't want for that crossing is a SE wind with the tide going out.*

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Sunday 28th of August 2011 11:05:38 AM
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Norwester wrote:
I don't like hearing the story about plugged fuel filters in rough water.* We're a single, there is no switching to the other engine.* Our aluminum tanks are only 5 years old and the fuel in the tank gets turned over about 3 times during the season.* Filters have just been changed. Hopefully that all takes care of that issue.

Lyle
*Lyle

You are probably good to go, as I carry way to much fuel for my normal annual consumption. *I probably go through a little less than half my fuel in a given year. *This year being the exception, just put another 400 gallons in her, ouch!!

I think, if I had a single, I would take the advice of some of the earlier posters concerning dual fuel filter systems where you have a duplicate primary filter and a valve to switch if needed. *Just for my peace of mind, probably never have to use it! *The reason I say that, we were heading for Dodd Narrows and I wanted full power available, *So*once we got back into calmer waters,*we slowed down a little and*I changed that plugged filter, (enclosed engine room, 100+ degrees, rocking motion, the smell of hot diesel fuel = closest I've ever been to sea sick!!) *

Have a great trip.

Larry B
Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Larry,

The dual fuel filter system is on my winter project list.

Lyle
Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Lyle:**********

Re your OP:

2 1/2 week trip
Leave yourself some time to relax and enjoy your return trip.* Your plan from the OP does not discuss your return trip, but consider allowing half of your time for the return, in order to avoid the stress of being caught in bad weather too far from home, with too much traveling left to do.* The barriers on your return trip would likely be the Qualicum winds on the Island side, which can extend from Qualicum Beach all the way out to Sisters Islets, and the Strait of Georgia, all the way from Chrome Island to Orcas Island.* Your straight line run home is about 160 nm or 20 nm for an 8 day return, or 40 nm per day for 4 days, allowing 4 days of bad weather.* I would head North quick as the weather allows, and save some sight seeing in the Nanaimo to Anacortes leg.
safest places to get diesel fuel
You should be O.K. at this time of year.* There are still some pleasure boats out there refuelling on their way home.* After mid Sept., you can restrict yourself to the fuel docks that serve a high percentage of commercial boats, Nanaimo and Campbell River on the Island side, and Westview (Powell River) on the Mainland shore.
It is a good idea to use 2 consecutive fill to spill fuel purchases, with a reasonably accurate determination of the mileage covered in between, to get an estimate of your vessels range under the conditions you faced, using say 80% of your tank capacity.
Have a great trip.
OS
Old_Salt is offline   Reply With Quote