Sunpower exhaust ventilation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Greetings

One of the challenges to live in a boat in the tropics, is the heat. I am looking to instal severeal small sun power exhausts to pull the air from the cabin to the outside. Do you guys have experience with this equipment? Spurces?

Thanks

Fernando

The Nicro Fico units do work for years, quietly.

Get the SS unit if there is a chance of it being stepped on.

IF you have a 14x14 area the 3 speed "Fantastic" RV units are good and a pair will usually run off a 85W panel , no battery.

Screens do slow the air flow .

I have a Nico SS version in the front stateroom hatch, and an ABS plastic one in the front of the flybridge to vent the locker up there under the instruments and where the propane cylinder is sited. They work well. If one wanted to vent the saloon however, one of the new home roof venting types might be worth a look, and not being labelled 'marine', probably good value for money.* I hope this pic might be big enough to see them both.....

-- Edited by Peter B on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 04:25:04 AM

Attachments

• dsc04434.jpg
    dsc04434.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 80
Portuguese wrote:
Greetings

One of the challenges to live in a boat in the tropics, is the heat. I am looking to instal severeal small sun power exhausts to pull the air from the cabin to the outside. Do you guys have experience with this equipment? Spurces?

Thanks

Fernando
They may be a good idea if you are leaving the boat locked up and need ventilation but with the windows and doors open, I'm not sure you'll*see or feel the benefit.* Maybe add a few more small hatches.* We have one in the pilot house and the only time we saw*any benefit was in the PNW in the winter when it was raining.* It helped*to get rid some of the moisture laden air.

If you want to move some air in the heat, get either Hella or Calramao fans.* Each manufacturer rates their motors for*5,000 hours and they draw 0.2 amps.* We have a combination of 9 of them spread around on Hobo.*

-- Edited by Larry M on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 06:50:53 AM

Attachments

• picture 538copy.jpg
    picture 538copy.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 63
  • picture 539copy.jpg
    picture 539copy.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 76
Yes, Larry's right, during the warmer weather when you have everything open, then solar vents do nothing, and fans are the go - short of full on aircon of course....

With good ventilation and a sun cover it is possible to get the boat interior down to the temperature of the water .

After that you need mechanical air refrigeration.

But for many water temperature is fine , and easier than purchasing/feeding/repairing/listening to and smelling a noisemaker.

Amen to that FF. We've agreed again. Better watch it or we might get boring...?

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 23rd of September 2011 04:38:47 AM

Guys

Once more, thank you all for the input. I will go with Nicro as I found them in the local market.

Best Wishes

Fernando

We leave our boats in Fl, during the summer and need ventilation to keep the boat from growing green inside.

This requires MASSIVE ventilation that is hurricane proof.

We have tried many systems including buttoning up and leaving wine bottles of mustard gas and a slow release system.

Nothing works as well as a big turbine vent.

A standard 14x14 RV or marine hatch is installed ,the opening lid is removed , and a ply cover is bolted thru the opening.

This is removable ,and the hatch cover replaced so the boat looks "normal" during its operating season.

Tho with our commercial non yachtey style boat , we have cruised with it in place .

You musty purchase the style used in shore communities , aluminum not galvanized as the ss bearings are better sealed.

Feom Goggle,

Turbine Roof Vents - Heavy Duty -No Squeaking- All Sizes
www.luxurymetals.com/turbinevents
Efficient Wind Powered Ventilation

Search Results

Shopping results for roof turbine vents

Air Vent 52604 Externally Braced Wind Turbine Head 12 ...
$27 - 13 stores
Air Vent 52605 Externally Braced Galvanized Turbine ...
$39 - 14 stores
Air Vent 52103 Internally Braced Aluminum Turbine with ...
$33 - 21 stores

I bought 8 x Vetus 24V fans that I intend (at this stage) to connect directly to my solar panels.

The fans will be installed inside the ventilation ducts and they are pulling air from the inside of several "dorade style" boxes or other weather proof cabinets.

These weather proof boxes ensure that the fans can run unattended in all kinds of weather.

Fred - How do you power the fan when you are away? Shore power?

Take a look at them , they are WIND powered , in even 3K they spin and remove BIG AIR.

We built a box on the outside of a replacement companionway slides on sailboats and it works there too.

The unit mounts on the box and vents really well, easy (but bulky) to remove when the sailing season starts

Back
Top Bottom