Old 03-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Sunglasses

What glasses & color lens do you use when boating. Did a search and no help.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
With annual 150 inches of rain, Gray days, I find 'Shooter' Yellow glasses work really well I have found the two pair on eBay used. They serve well as driving glasses at night against the on coming headlights.

(After posting this, and looking myself, for yet another pair of shooting glasses, came across this article which is contradictory to what my experience has been. However as it is written by a eye related publication, I offer it as we all enjoy this thread.)

http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

Alk-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Do not wear any tinted lenses at night. Period. It is simply not safe, even if it does make you feel better. It makes the headlights more comfortable, but hurts your ability to see anything else that isn't lit. Just don't do it.

As for sunglasses the rest of the time... Yellow lenses are fine for the gray days as Al mentioned. I did some research on the effect of yellow lenses when I was in grad school and they don't help you see better on the gray days. Whether you test visual acuity or contrast sensitivity, there is no evidence they help. OTOH, pilots invariably prefer them and when I flew I wore an amber photochromic lens simply because I liked it despite the research which said it didn't help. The preference is simply psychological, which is fine by me.

For general wear, your best bet is a neutral gray lens. It won't distort color vision and provides the protection that is helpful. Above all, buy lenses that are 100% UV absorptive in both the A and B UV bands and wear them when in the sun. UV exposure hastens cataract formation and increases the risk of macular degeneration. I always tell my patients to protect their eyes from the sun as they do their skin. So wear sunglasses and a hat.

Sunglasses that provide that UV protection don't have to be expensive. It is cheap to make 100% UV lenses and unless you are buying them at a Podunk gas station somewhere, in the US if they are labeled as 100% UV absorptive they likely are.

It is not cheap to make non-prescription (plano) sunglass lenses that are free of optical distortion. This is where often the inexpensive sunglasses fall down. Take the lenses and look at a grid pattern at reading distance while holding the lenses about 8 inches away from your face. Slowly pass the lenses back and forth over the grid and look for any distortion in the grid lines. Most often you may find it near the edges of the lens. High quality lenses will tend to be uniformly good in this respect. Cheap ones will be hit and miss. So if you can examine a few, you should be able to find a pair that are pretty good.

I don't know much, but this is one area that I actually know what I'm talking about for a change.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:49 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Dave, what are your thoughts on polarizing lenses?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:04 AM   #5

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
I wear polarized lenses from these guys, who offer a free replacement if lost or stolen.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Dark prescription bifocal sunglasses from Walmart. Works well for me; around $120 a pair.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Dave, what are your thoughts on polarizing lenses?

Polarizing lenses are great, particularly on the water. You just need to keep in mind what they are actually doing.

Reflected light is plane polarized, think of it as light vibrating in just one direction. A polarizing filter blocks light that is polarized in a given direction. So if you have light reflecting off a horizontal surface it is plane polarized in the horizontal meridian. Polarized sunglasses will block light that is polarized in that direction, letting light through that is vibrating in other directions. This drastically cuts down on reflected light off the water, white decks, and stainless fittings and railings.

There are downsides however. Liquid crystal displays also polarize light. At some angles the sunglasses will blank out the LCD displays of some electronics. This means that will the polarized sunglasses on you may not be able to see the display of your VHF or digital engine instruments. It all depends on the orientation of the display.

Back in the day before cell phones I had to use a pager for my on-call evenings and weekends. If I put the pager on my belt on my left hip I couldn't read the display with my polarized sunglasses on but I could read it if it was on my right hip.

So, by all means get polarized lenses, but check your instruments to see which, if any, will create problems. Think of things such as your handheld VHF etc...

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Dave,

Thank you for the detailed information.

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Do not wear any tinted lenses at night. Period. It is simply not safe, even if it does make you feel better. It makes the headlights more comfortable, but hurts your ability to see anything else that isn't lit. Just don't do it.

As for sunglasses the rest of the time... Yellow lenses are fine for the gray days as Al mentioned. I did some research on the effect of yellow lenses when I was in grad school and they don't help you see better on the gray days. Whether you test visual acuity or contrast sensitivity, there is no evidence they help. OTOH, pilots invariably prefer them and when I flew I wore an amber photochromic lens simply because I liked it despite the research which said it didn't help. The preference is simply psychological, which is fine by me.

For general wear, your best bet is a neutral gray lens. It won't distort color vision and provides the protection that is helpful. Above all, buy lenses that are 100% UV absorptive in both the A and B UV bands and wear them when in the sun. UV exposure hastens cataract formation and increases the risk of macular degeneration. I always tell my patients to protect their eyes from the sun as they do their skin. So wear sunglasses and a hat.

Sunglasses that provide that UV protection don't have to be expensive. It is cheap to make 100% UV lenses and unless you are buying them at a Podunk gas station somewhere, in the US if they are labeled as 100% UV absorptive they likely are.

It is not cheap to make non-prescription (plano) sunglass lenses that are free of optical distortion. This is where often the inexpensive sunglasses fall down. Take the lenses and look at a grid pattern at reading distance while holding the lenses about 8 inches away from your face. Slowly pass the lenses back and forth over the grid and look for any distortion in the grid lines. Most often you may find it near the edges of the lens. High quality lenses will tend to be uniformly good in this respect. Cheap ones will be hit and miss. So if you can examine a few, you should be able to find a pair that are pretty good.

I don't know much, but this is one area that I actually know what I'm talking about for a change.

This is a very fine post! Thank you for sharing knowledge on the subject.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Thanks Dave for all that info.

My eyes seem to be fairly sensitive to bright light so I find the darkest lens glasses that I can. I have worn Oceano glasses for many years and love them. They're not prescription but my eyes are 20/30 and 20/40 so I really don't need the correction except for reading. The Oceano's run about $45 at Big 5 Sports.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Dark prescription bifocal sunglasses from Walmart. Works well for me; around $120 a pair.

Ted
For daytime use, I use a prescription bifocal wrap style from Typhoon.
https://www.google.com/search?q=typh...&ie=&oe=#spf=1
My first pair I found on sale in the store at <$50.00

My last pair I bought on line through West Marine.
About $75.00 IIRC and had them shipped to my local WM store at no cost

Since I do a lot of nighttime shooting/training, I use a prescription yellow or clear, depending on conditions.
Still use them for nighttime driving and boating if I'm running something with an exposed helm.

Works for me
Old 03-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Polarizing lenses are great...There are downsides however. Liquid crystal displays also polarize light. At some angles the sunglasses will blank out the LCD displays of some electronics...
Thanks for the advice,good coming from someone not selling me new sunnies.
One day the indicator board at the train station had no display, removed the polaroid sunnies, board was working fine .
I have a set of Smiths glasses for cycling, frames with 3 interchangeable sets of lenses,clear, dark, yellow.Yellow make a seriously overcast day a nice one.
On boats we tend to wear our sunglasses for extended periods, comfortable frames not trying to cut your ears off is a joy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Thanks for the advice,good coming from someone not selling me new sunnies.
One day the indicator board at the train station had no display, removed the polaroid sunnies, board was working fine .
I have a set of Smiths glasses for cycling, frames with 3 interchangeable sets of lenses,clear, dark, yellow.Yellow make a seriously overcast day a nice one.
On boats we tend to wear our sunglasses for extended periods, comfortable frames not trying to cut your ears off is a joy.

Back when I was running I used something similar. Since I was 20/15 in the distance, the non-prescription worked great. I had clear lenses for running at night, amber for those grey days, and dark grey for sunny. Worked fine until I hit my mid 40's and found that when doing a track workout at 5:30 am, I could no longer read the watch for split times. Age catches up to us all.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B:

DHays,

What do you think of Oakley Prizm?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #15
Guru

Oakley make good products. A bit overpriced, but they are good.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I wear prescription bifocals all the time so I use the "fit over your glasses" sunglasses off the rack at Walmart , CVS. or similar, they sell for about $20.00. I like the amber polarized best. As others have mentioned the blank out some LCD displays like on my car radio. But, it's no big deal to pull them off for a few minutes if that happens.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Have several pair of sunglasses, but rarely use them. To me, they are a nuisance and alter reality, despite having blue eyes.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve,
I do basically the same thing.
My photo-grey lens are so good the only time they don't cut it is heading into the sun over water. I have several of those thin wrap around fit behind the regular glasses things that cure the glare problem easily. Just keep them on the boat.

My vision is going south so I need regular glasses soon.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #19

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
What glasses & color lens do you use when boating. Did a search and no help.
Costa Del Mar's Fathom sunglasses with blue mirror polarized glass (580) lenses.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/me...easypick=false

Best sunglasses for wearing while on the ocean on a sunny day. With these glasses you can see below the surface of the water past the glare. These type pr polarized sunglasses are what 95% of the fishermen wear here in Mexico. I've personally been wearing them for almost two decades and love them. Not cheap but well worth the price IMHO.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Steve,

I do basically the same thing.

My photo-grey lens are so good the only time they don't cut it is heading into the sun over water. I have several of those thin wrap around fit behind the regular glasses things that cure the glare problem easily. Just keep them on the boat.

My vision is going south so I need regular glasses soon.

Nice thing about the photochromic lenses is they are 100% UV absorptive. I wear them myself and find they are really well.

Dave
SPOT page