Sunglasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Costa Del Mar with glass lenses. Blue tint for me. Love 'em. Not cheap ($299) but guaranteed for life.

The guarantee isn't what you think by the time you pay all the fees.

I finally gave up on expensive glasses as I kept scratching the lenses and destroying them.

Several years back while working on my boat I went to Home Depot to buy some new safety glasses ... and the 3M/Holmes brand have become my favorites! They are available in clear, yellow, and smoked lenses, and people have often mistaken them for Oakley's!

And they are safety glasses to boot!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Holme...H=REC-_-irg_aic-3-_-203120652-_-204215806-_-N

Are they polarized though?

Wouldnt be on the water without the advantages of polarized glasses.

As others said upstream, I also go back and forth on polarized. The interference patterns with screens, displays, and other surfaces bothers me that I only wear them when absolutely necessary based on heading.

I keep a pair around, but rarely wear them. These safety glasses with the smoked lens work great most of the time.

I had a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses made again this summer. It had been a while. It does create a slight pattern in my pilothouse windows, but not enough to bother me. My displays are fine unless I tip my head significantly to the right or left. OTOH, they were great to use on my recent cruise in the way they reduced the glare off the water when heading into the rising or setting sun.

I finally gave up on expensive glasses as I kept scratching the lenses and destroying them.

Several years back while working on my boat I went to Home Depot to buy some new safety glasses ... and the 3M/Holmes brand have become my favorites! They are available in clear, yellow, and smoked lenses, and people have often mistaken them for Oakley's!

3M Holmes Workwear Black Frame with Yellow Anti-Fog Lenses Safety Glasses-90207-8V025H - The Home Depot

I am going to get those for me too. Do you like your experience with them?

I spend 90 percent or more time looking at or what I can see under the water in terms of coloration and depth. So cutting glare is huge in my book, and not just thr rising and setting sun, but the sparkle all day , the glare off boat parts, reflections, etc

Newer displays are really not a problem anymore and if so I can usually and prefer to glance down under the lenses.

I am going to get those for me too. Do you like your experience with them?

I've been wearing and using these sun glasses for years now, and at the price ($15) I replace them about once a year when they wear or are scratched.

The only part that wears the most is the rubber on the temples, over your ears. After a year it begins to come apart ... doesn't stop me from wearing them, but they don't look as good when you take them off and set them on the table.

I do agree with the comments about polarization if you're looking into the water or heading along the lines of the sun ... they cut a lot of light and glare, but aren't polarized.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Holme...H=REC-_-irg_aic-3-_-203120652-_-204215806-_-N

They would be great for some reasons. They are polycarbonate and are therefore lightweight, 100% UV absorptive, highly impact resistant, the frame and lens combination meets the Z87 standard for safety glasses, and they are cheap.

The downside is that polycarbonate is really soft and scratches very easily. The other issue is it is impossible to produce an optically good lens shield for that price point. So if you pick some up, don't be surprised if you notice some optical distortion in the lens. If possible, try looking at several and picking one that appears to be distortion free.

I got two pairs of prescription ONO'S. good quality, reasonably priced (for RX) and lifetime warranty . I recently sent a pair back that got busted in half. Onos lab called and said the polarization was starting to deteriorate so they were going to replace lenses as well. They asked me if I had the same RX or a newer one. Newer script was put in at no charge. Love their customer service. They are half the price of my favs,Ocean Waves. Note:$400 sunglasses don't float any better than $200 (or $5!) glasses.

I've read most of these posts and note that most talk about price and polarization. To me the importance of sunglasses is eye protection from dangerous UVA and UVB rays that are damaging to the eyes. I've read and been told by professionals that children should wear good sunglasses as soon as they are old enough not to keep pulling them off etc.

Sunglasses should be purchased based on their protective factors and not just by price, polarization or scratch resistance. A good pair of sunglasses within your budget should be easy enough to find. I doubt (but could be wrong) that tinted safety glasses are a proper solution.

I've read most of these posts and note that most talk about price and polarization. To me the importance of sunglasses is eye protection from dangerous UVA and UVB rays that are damaging to the eyes. I've read and been told by professionals that children should wear good sunglasses as soon as they are old enough not to keep pulling them off etc.

Sunglasses should be purchased based on their protective factors and not just by price, polarization or scratch resistance. A good pair of sunglasses within your budget should be easy enough to find. I doubt (but could be wrong) that tinted safety glasses are a proper solution.

Very good point. UV absorption is the primary reason to wear sunglasses. Some points to remember.

CR-39, or the plastic used in plastic lenses, will absorb over 85% of UV radiation.

Polycarbonate or Trivex, will absorb 100% of UV radiation. This is why the safety glasses mentioned earlier are OK to use. They are made from Polycarbonate.

Polarization has little to do directly with UV absorption.

In the US, if you seen sunglasses labeled as 100% UVA and UVB absorptive, you can be reasonably assured they are. Not necessarily so with sunglasses ordered via overseas internet venders.

Essilor Transitions lenses (plastic photochromic), absorbe 100% of UV.

CR-39 lenses can have a UV tint applied to make them 100 UV absorptive. The "tint" is clear as it only absorbed the UV light, which by definition is light whose wavelength is shorter than what we can see.

Sunglasses should be purchased based on their protective factors and not just by price, polarization or scratch resistance.

I buy them because they make me look BITCHIN'!!!

Many cheap polarized glasses compete with the most expensive ones.

Many features on the expensive ones are nicer, but I compare regularly for spotting fish, and the expensive ones are hit or miss any better for that or reducing glare.

Oretty rare for any decent fishing glasses over $15 to not meet the UV protection...usually a small sticker on one lens.

Last edited:
To me the importance of sunglasses is eye protection from dangerous UVA and UVB rays that are damaging to the eyes. I've read and been told by professionals that children should wear good sunglasses as soon as they are old enough not to keep pulling them off etc.

That's the only reason I wear them. I like seeing better without them. I never wore them until 16+ years ago when I met someone smarter than me who told me I would wear them to protect my eyes.

Once again, check Steepandcheap website for up to 60% off Costas.

I agree with your thoughts, and it seems that you didn't read the details of the link that I posted. As a side note I'm not sure how familiar you are with the construction industry, and the types of people who purchase the "tinted safety glasses" you mention.

The reason Home Depot sells these is for people who are outside working construction in the sun all day, and they specifically address the UV needs of that community ... while also understanding that in their line of work they need the safety aspects, and cheap to replace when damage occurs ... which it does. :)

From the link:
Lenses provide 99.9% UV protection
Meets the requirements of ANSI Z87.1-2010
Compliant with CSA Z94.3-2007

... and more.

Not polarized, but very impressive glasses to me, used by a pretty demanding market. Two of my friends are contractors and buy them by the case for their employees.

I have a pair of Maui Jim's with prescription, gray polarized, glass lenses. Stainless steel frame and components.

Way too expensive, but, they are like binoculars. No one sees what I see.

I justify it by the fact I wear them eight hours a day 10 months of the year. Current pair 5-6 years old.

Back
Top Bottom