Old 08-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Walt, that side door looks much more convenient than hopping onto your swim step on your previous boat!
That side door had a lot to do with me buying the boat

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #22
Guru

If you're talkin' about the most useful room with the same "footprint" the sundeck wins every time.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
If you're talkin' about the most useful room with the same "footprint" the sundeck wins every time.
Agreed! I require rear, side and front deck walk ways 360 degrees around boat.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 AM   #24
Guru

At the recent Sydney Boat Show I saw numerous boats with "clingaround", as opposed to "walkaround", decks. Some even lacked enough "clingon" handles. I like my walkaround decks.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
At the recent Sydney Boat Show I saw numerous boats with "clingaround", as opposed to "walkaround", decks. Some even lacked enough "clingon" handles. I like my walkaround decks.
You wonder sometimes if they even let real people test the model.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:49 AM   #26
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:

I'm a Klingon. Not wild about it.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Mine is a walk around it has its advantages but then again plenty of times I wish I had that space in the salon
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #28
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
I like walk-around with rails or high bulwarks

Ted.
Attached Images

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: PassChristian MS
Previous boat was a traditional 40 ft Eagle trawler. She had beautiful lines. She was a great boat, lost her in Katrina. Fast forward 10 years and was looking for a floating condo. After a very extensive search, settled on a Present 42 sundeck. She does not sit a gracefully in the water as the Eagle but once on board it is so much more comfortable. Underway, I just do not see much difference. Conclusion, if you want a boat to look at, go traditional; if you want a boat to be on, get a sundeck!
jwilsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Walt,
Didn't see I wasn't on the last page. Happens quite often. Can't see why the forum dosn't route one to the last page. This is re your post #20.
You've been read'in what I think for 7 years.

I guess I view sundecks as houseboats on the move. But I'm talking about something I know little to nothing about. But one could say "what's to know about a SD that's not there to see". That's not to say I'd not recomend someone look at a SD that placed a high priority on inside space and could care less about a WL cockpit. Nor am I a fisherman.

Don't like walkaround side decks either but my boat has them. That dosn't mean I'd buy a SD. They are fine for those that like or need them. My short post was not judgemental.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I like walk-around with rails or high bulwarks

Ted.
Me too.

Sixteen-inch side decks with strong (1.25-inch) railings:

Old 08-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
One thing I forgot to mention about my experience with a sundeck is that age and fitness plays into whether a sundeck will be a good choice.

Access can be a little more difficult and my parents who are in their late 70's find the climb onto the boat more of a challenge then I do. If a person is considering a sundeck for the long term that might be a factor to work into the calculation. Will you want to deal with the access issues as time goes on? A sedan with a transom gate would be much easier to board for my parents and in-laws, so that might play into the next boat we get.
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #33

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Have a 45 Jefferson and love it .
Has a hard top over aft deck with side curtains so it can be open while crushing or closed at the dock. Rib on top with digit. Large fly bridge with einglass all around,so all weather operations. Sun deck is great to entertain with a few chairs,couch and tables. Aft cabin with queen walk around and plenty of storage and head with shower. Salon have two recliners, foldout love sit and 40 flat screen TV.Lots of windows so plenty of light.Gally down with full size refrig with ice maker,oven/stove,m/w and plenty of counter space. Dinett off to side. Forward head and berthing forward. Easy boat for just the two of us to dock,or cruise and now have lived aboard for 4 year and enjoying it greaty in the keys. When looking beware of fuel tank issues,had to replace mine,but that's another story on this site. When you get to the keys let me know as our marina is in marathon and may have space.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Me too.

I really like your boat's thick handrails. Ours are 1" dia, surround every exterior portion of boat, and are suitable for sure... but your 1.25"ers show authority!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Me too.

Wifey B: You look like you're flying a kite.

Oh and I do like your side decks and rails.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
This is where those idiots at Carver actually listen to their customers. I have a sundeck. I guess an Aft Cabin Motoryacht(ACMY) as it states on the side of the boat. Going from the sundeck to the swim platform is a nice set of stairs with a sturdy handrail. On the angled gunwhale/caprail(don't know what else to call it) is the aft cleat. Line handling is a non issue as is going to and form the aft deck to swim platform. The platform itself is all part of the hull mold. While the boat is 35 feet, if you include the swim platform, it is about 40 feet....and that is wetted surface that contributes to waterline length. Anyway, it is a wonderful set up and it pretty much negates the disadvantages of a sundeck. It also says "356" right there on the side so nobody can charge you more on a per foot basis. Anyway, this is the result of an American company with American engineers selling to American customers listening to American needs under the pressures of the American market. And that is a good thing.

DISCLAIMER...I use the term "idiots at Carver" sarcastically if you didn't figure that out. Carver gets such a bad wrap that I use a little self deprecating humor along with it. My boat is wonderfully laid out. It is amazing for a 35 foot boat. And it is an example of why boats from mainstream builders should not be overlooked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2556.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	42934  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #37
TF Site Team

And while it could never be considered classically beautiful, it is not ugly....at least not in my eyes. I am not trying to sell you on a Carver or any other boat like it. I am just saying do not overlook them. They provide tremendous value as it relates to cost and space. The ones under 40 feet are "usually" gas powered. But there are a few that were sold with the diesel option like mine. I went into the ownership of mine with all of the preconceived notions that everyone else has. And I have been surprised at every turn. Is it an offshore boat...no way!!! But I would not hesitate to take it offshore with regard to weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3989.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	42935  
Old 08-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #38
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
This is where those idiots at Carver actually listen to their customers. I have a sundeck. I guess an Aft Cabin Motoryacht(ACMY) as it states on the side of the boat. Going from the sundeck to the swim platform is a nice set of stairs with a sturdy handrail. On the angled gunwhale/caprail(don't know what else to call it) is the aft cleat. Line handling is a non issue as is going to and form the aft deck to swim platform. The platform itself is all part of the hull mold. While the boat is 35 feet, if you include the swim platform, it is about 40 feet....and that is wetted surface that contributes to waterline length. Anyway, it is a wonderful set up and it pretty much negates the disadvantages of a sundeck. It also says "356" right there on the side so nobody can charge you more on a per foot basis. Anyway, this is the result of an American company with American engineers selling to American customers listening to American needs under the pressures of the American market. And that is a good thing.

PS...I use the term "idiots at Carver" sarcastically if you didn't figure that out. Carver gets such a bad wrap that I use a little self deprecating humor along with it. My boat is wonderfully laid out. It is amazing for a 35 foot boat. And it is an example of why boats from mainstream builders should not be overlooked.
Although you placed disclaimer on bottom of post... being owner of products sold on consumer market... before I read the disclaimer, I was taken a back. And, thought I might mention; how many readers (especially newbies to boating) might just read some or all of the top paragraph and not even notice your disclaimer. That sure would not be too good to help elevate Carver reputation and sales. Just sayen! -

EDIT: Baker, now that I read your next post re Carver - all is forgiven... well, most all - by me anyway! - LOL
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
. It also says "356" right there on the side so nobody can charge you more on a per foot basis..
Oh, so wrong. They can...not saying they all will..charge you based on total length, including bow pulpit, including swim platform. Then some will charge you on the greater of that number or the slip you're in.

So on a Carver 356, they typical charge will be 42' as it's 41'2". You're probably best off telling them 40' so they don't measure to get the extra 2.

I don't know how it is in other places, but marinas I've been to are very careful and some measure every boat. Others just look the boat up online. There might be a few that would accept your boat as 36' simply be trusting you.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #40
TF Site Team

I guess down here we aren't as anal or quick to screw everyone out of just a few more bucks.

The ONLY time I have been charged for more than the advertised length of my boat was in Port Aransas. I had a Prairie 29. The thing looked way bigger than 29 feet. It was 29'7" LOD. I had the survey and was willing to show the harbormaster. He didn't want to hear it. I got charged the 30-40 foot rate as that is the way they did it there.

Tags
sundeck, trunk