Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Sundeck Owners please help

I must say I agree with FF. there are many very good gas engine boats out there, especially where diesel makes no sense. Say anything less than 12,000 lb for a MV. I'd guess new boat sales are about 90% gas between 26' to 35' and of course 99% below 26'. I cruised for years on a 36' Trojan with 383s and countless Searays with no problems. But I did watch out!!

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #22

Sundeck Owners please help

Tiim,

I just went throught the same exercise including getting to survey on a 42' Chris Craft Catalina (gas engines flunked; salt water incursion) and ended up with a 1989 Vista 43' sundeck Taiwan built boat. I paid in the range you are looking and it will do 10 knots with very little wake at 8 gph and will 8 knots with almost no wake at 5.5 gph on twin diesels. I am very pleased with the boat, and will be happy to give you more details if you pm me. I am in Central Florida, there are plenty of boats available right now, you just have to be patient. We looked at a couple of dozen all over Florida before we found this one. The 43' Viking is a good choice too.

Good luck.
Marc

-- Edited by Avista on Monday 21st of December 2009 05:21:41 PM

-- Edited by Avista on Monday 21st of December 2009 05:24:47 PM

Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"There is no comparison from gas to diesel on a cruising boat, diesel being hands down the preferred for safety longevity ."

Safety is in the hands of the owner/operator , with so many propane stoves , even diesel boats can be considered more risky than perhaps coal.

With most pleasure boats CRUISING on minor HP ( Under 100hp) for about 100 hours a year diesel makes little sense.

Sure once the engine time climbs the 2000 hour life of a maintained gas engine will be eaten more rapidly , but for the majority its a non issue.

Even double the norm of 200 hrs only equals a fresh $2500 -$4000 engine every decade. And as the tech is still geared to gassers the higher tech and better fuel consumption advances will be gained.

THe diesel disadvantages ,HEAVY , NOISEY , HIGHER MAINT FOR NON USE , MORE EXPENSIVE PARTS , OIL, ANTIFREEZ AND "diesel mechanics" makes that 2000 hour service life far less costly than similar time on a diesel.Toss in the destruction of underloading for outsized engines and the costs go up , and reliable service life goes down even more.

Should the boat do hundreds of hours a year , or require much over roughly 100hp cont for cruise an industrial diesel, (not a VW , BMW or other car transplant) could make sense , AFTER the numbers for the vessel is run.

Diesel is the engine of choice for 24/7/365 , but that is seldom
what most "trawlers" do.

One hassle with gas is the local rulers tax gas so high that it is not in most ports, so for a world traveler diesel is easier to obtain, particularly in "Bond".

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Peace of mind, FF, and I will pay for it!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY

We had the same issue. We like the sundeck for all the benefits but didn't like the monkey ladder on the stern. We looked at cockpit designs but you loose about 5 or 6 feet due to it so you would need to go up in size.* Instead being the engineer that I am I came up with the following solution for less then $1K including the Powd Coating. Now we can walk up the staris even the Pug can make it up on her own. At the dock we simply step onto the step most even with the dock and walk up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stairs.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	3509  
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #26
Guru

Great design. I love my molded in stairs but I paid dearly for it.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #27

I have a Gulfstar 43 MkII Sundeck trawler, a lightweight (85 pounds plus 9.9 hp outboard also 85 pounds) dinghy, and a 65 pound yellow labrador. I tried using a sundeck mounted lifting davit to get the dog up and down to the swim platform with comic and almost disastrous results.

What I now do is as follows: I bring the dinghy around to the side deck gate. The deck is 2 large steps below the level of the sundeck. I then hoist (by hand) the bow of the dinghy up to about a foot below deck level. The dog jumps in and so far has not punctured the airfloor of the dinghy.

On returning to the boat I motor or row to the gate, jump out, and again hoist the bow up. This is marginally more difficult due to the weight of the dog, but I assure you Charles Atlas I am not! The dog scrambles out and I return the dinghy to its home on the davits.

I think this would be much more difficult to do with a RIB and/or a much heavier dog.

Hope this helps.

Alan Shapiro
ashapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Wow, Alan, THAT is ingenuity!* That would NEVER have occurred to me.* So simple!**

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Friday 19th of November 2010 04:26:56 PM
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Even simpler, is just not having/taking a dog.......but as they become like one of the family, I understand the dilemma. However, because of these issues, when our much-loved Toy Poodle, Sophie, passed on, we left it at that.
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -

Everybody has their personal preferences. For us, boating without a dog isn't boating. We have always taken our dogs with us in the boat, be it the trailer Arima fishing boat or the GB. In our opinion--- despite the shedding--- they greatly enhance the whole boating experience. Our current dog (Albi)*took his first ride on the GB at nine weeks of age. Or course he had our older dog*(RJ)*along for reassurance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dinghy2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	3515   Click image for larger version

Name:	albipuffin.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	3516   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy ride.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	3517   Click image for larger version

Name:	midden.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	3518  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #31
Guru

Marin,
What beautiful scenery. Hard to beat those pretty coves and mountains, but all those heavy coats and cold wx gear. Each place has it's charm.
We're getting into our boating season now as evidenced by all our Canadian's friends preparing to splash their boats after 8 months on the hard. I'm envious as I'm out of the water for 2 months waiting for blisters to dry.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin.* Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
Mr. Marin.* Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?
Yes, although I prefer one of the breed's original names which was Little River Duck Dog. Little River is one of the places in Nova Scotia where the breed is said to have originated.* The breed didn't acquire the long tedious name until it was declared the "official dog" of Nova Scotia in the 1940s.*

Albi is named for the city in France where Jean-Francois de La Pérouse was from. Besides being the home of La Pérouse and Toulouse Lautrec, Albi boasts the largest brick building in the world, the Cathedral of Saint Cecillia. We've visited Albi and the cathedral is incredible, even more so on the inside than the outside.* If you ever find yourself in that part of the world, Albi is well worth a visit.

Albi (the dog) reminds of of Albi (the town) every time we look at him if for no other reason than he's the same color

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 20th of November 2010 11:14:18 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	albi.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	3534   Click image for larger version

Name:	albitown3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	3535   Click image for larger version

Name:	albicathedralint.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	3536   Click image for larger version

Name:	albicathedral.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	3537  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Awesome pics, Marin, thanks for sharing!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

I can only take credit for the picture of Albi (the dog). We didn't have a digital camera when we visited Albi (the town) so those shots are lifted from the web.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

My $0.02...
Mine is a 38' FHB. I like diving, crabbing and fishing so I have a 13' whaler with a 35 hp Johnson 2 cycle. Totals about 850# on a Ross Kelly rated at 1000#. That said, we RARELY use the stern swim step. We side tie the dink once it's deployed and not in tow. We use a boarding ladder on the gunnel and it's great for boarding. Our dog is a bit lighter (at 9#) but I could easily see lifting maybe a 50# dog back and forth. As far as docking goes, I find it real easy to dock it by myself. My wife does not like doing the jump so I bring the boat in, get it into position, have my wife take the wheel and I slip over the side with lines in hand - without any jump to a slipery dock.

Regarding the sundeck - friends have one with no inside access from flybridge to lower helm. They have to go outside to get between stations, which in bad seas is not acceptable. That means that they have to stay at the flybridge which, in bad seas has the most violent movement. Personally I would stay away from this design.

Our boat has a 4'3" deep keel. We have full canvas, yet I rarely feel much of an effect from side winds when docking - some but not much (thankfully). Now current - that's another issue.

We have a gas grill on the stern (like most) but we use a 5 gal tank (instead of those 1# tanks). I got a "y" at the tank and have a second hose that runs to a Hr. Heater. With it on high we use our sundeck year round but some evenings when it gets to the low 30's we do find it too cold and have to go below.

Bayliner! Yea, I use to work there up almost to the point where Brunswick bought them out. Keep in mind that they paid their annual bonus based on material savings - think chopper gun here. Usually the guys in the shop became more "bonus consious" after mid year. If it were me and I had to have a Bayliner I'd target boats built between Feburary and August.

Knowing what I now know, if I had the chance to do it all over again I'd get a single engine sedan pilot house trawler with a large generator that could double as a get-home and it would have a bow thruster. It would have no teak or canvas on the outside. And it would have high bullworks. It could either be wood or glass but not both. (Just my opinion)

carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote