Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

City: Charleston, SC
Sundeck modification?

As I consider moving from my current motorsailer to a trawler I find the basic MT34 hits many of my "needs" except for one. I would so like to have a sundeck. I realize I could bump up a league and look for an MT or other brand that has a sundeck but I also have a question for this forum. Has anyone taken the trunk aft cabin of the MT34 and built a sundeck over top? It would seem fairly easy to remove handrail and then build up sides and deck from there. Some simple framing, plywood and then glassing would seem to be workable. Has this been done before? Thanks...

rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Keep looking. Nothing is simple on a boat.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Trenton
A good friend of mine with another MT34 aft cabin had a canvas shade built over his aft cabin. It went from one side to the other over the handrails and looked like a continuation of the main saloon roof but in canvas. It was slightly bowed in the middle and supported by flat slats. Rain would just drain overboard - wind didn't seem to get a hold of it. It went all the way back to the aft handrail. It made the entire aft section of his boat very civilized. I'm still envious.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I understood Mr. rb wanted to construct a structure to sit upon and catch some rays...
Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
As I consider moving from my current motorsailer to a trawler I find the basic MT34 hits many of my "needs" except for one. I would so like to have a sundeck. I realize I could bump up a league and look for an MT or other brand that has a sundeck but I also have a question for this forum. Has anyone taken the trunk aft cabin of the MT34 and built a sundeck over top? It would seem fairly easy to remove handrail and then build up sides and deck from there. Some simple framing, plywood and then glassing would seem to be workable. Has this been done before? Thanks...
It can be done. I have seen it done on at least one boat, as we have the sedan version of that boat, so one notices these things. It was here out in Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia, however, and I did not get a photo of it. Now I wish I had.

They had clearly stripped out the original cabin walls and deck surrounding, then rebuilt it so the aft cabin went right to the sides & stern of the hull, and then built a covered sundeck on top. They would have had to sacrificed the entire lazaret however, and it wouldn't be a cheap conversion. How deep are your pockets..?

I suggest saving a bit more and getting a purpose built 36 footer made that way would be the better option really.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Buy a 36 MT sundeck. It's much easier. Love mine!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RB

Coming from a sailboat you understand about windage and raising the CG. I'm with RT and Donna. Find a purpose designed and built boat and think about what you can do to lower the CG. Seaworthiness is important.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

City: Charleston, SC
Thanks folks. Sorry to have dropped this thread. Frankly I keep dipping in and out of the trawler world. Problem is I so enjoy sailing and my current Bombay Pilothouse comes so close to my ideal hybrid trawler/sailer. But at just 31' she is small for long-term cruising and limited by having just the double in the v-berth. So I am back pondering again a dual cabin trawler. I agree that ideally purchasing an MT sundeck or even finding one of those rare Gulfstar MK II deals is the way to go. But I keep seeing the MT aft cabins and Gulfstar 36 MK Is for little money and I love to take on significant marine projects. So... I am still thinking and asking... Thanks again for the feedback here... Great online community...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I'm still in love with my 36' Marine Trader sundeck. Just got back from a month long trip to the Bahamas!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I would look for an existing sundeck. We have a 41' President that we love. Trying to make an add on sundeck work structurally would be a big challenge. You will be changing the center of gravity which depending on the boat may or may not be a problem. Changing a boat to a sundeck may ruin the resale value. I would not buy a homebuilt sundeck boat since I wouldn't know what skills the owner may have.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Listen to Comodave. He hit the nail on the head.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote