Sundeck furniture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceania

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
Can anyone recommend deck furniture that will work on my Oceania 35 sundeck (about 8X8 ft.). Will the joints of regular patio furniture stand up to the rocking of the boat? (even with someone in it at anchor?) ideally we would like wicker recliners at Costco, but will they work? Suggestions? Need at least two recliners and a small table. :rolleyes:

We where on freshwater but had our greatest success with patio furniture. Long enough lasting and compared to "boat" chairs cheap enough to replace at shorter intervals if needed. Was just looking at the same wicker furniture at Costco yesterday for home use and it should last well on your boat.

We recently got a table and two chairs from Costco that are made of eucalyptus. Working great for us so far.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460834216.790902.jpg

Yep just decent quality deck furniture. My last set lasted 10 years. But that was up North.

We had a wicker patio set on the aft deck of our Hatteras that got very heavy use' it was our favorite room on the boat and also the "formal" dining room. We entertained a lot, and the stuff got moved around frequently to access the swim platform (since we were anchored out or on a mooring a good deal of the time). Quality will out in this environment and be cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the comments. I'm thinking that the material making the frame is important. If it's aluminum then it might be welded and strong, but if wicker over wood it maybe pretty fragile yes?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Great topic. My wife is determined to get a couple of chairs and a small table to use both in the aft cockpit and flybridge. I want them to be folding so they can be put out of the way easily.

Great topic. My wife is determined to get a couple of chairs and a small table to use both in the aft cockpit and flybridge. I want them to be folding so they can be put out of the way easily.

We have 4 of this kind of chair, as they fold way down to next to nothing, have a colour matching stow-cover, and slip into lockers very easily. For a table we use a camp table with folding legs that we tie on its side to the inside of transom when not in use. It works well, and they are all 14 yrs old, and still look new.

Camping Chair Blue - DINGA

And this...
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/sports-camping-pets/camping-travel/camp-furniture-bedding/explore-planet-earth-dash-side-table.html

Last edited:
We got a patio set from Wally. Aluminum swivel rockers, aluminum glass topped round table. That is also OUR favorite room on the boat, and they've lasted a year with no problems. During heavy winds, we remove the cushions and the glass table top and stow them inside so they don't go AWOL, but other than that, no problems at all. Unfortunately, in looking thru my albums, I have no pics showing them.

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm thinking that the material making the frame is important. If it's aluminum then it might be welded and strong, but if wicker over wood it maybe pretty fragile yes?

Depends on how well it's made. I do think aluminum is a better choice, for weight considerations, though our stuff was still pretty heavy and didn't move around. In part because the front feet were on carpet.
Make sure to have some skid resistant material on the feet regardless.

topr98-fSy_ayosqq7mi05QC3PsTpMgv6le11P31oKfrsYCv6qGBEa1Wkz-VsxwsoJSVKs248fMVmdTmmUf5GNgKZt-6qayRLDxrDE8Wcti_jxbfhD2scAIweEVcIXr_p_MjJKNgd3ygB5d-kNZcLes3UjUeBS2GzG3eGrxawcgSNjnEMSK3Sbpx10F9zRAMoz1vggC9ai0twvk0zNb42Pq1VggjJDHQCZtoZ-hLbg4wOew6Tz5hn68hOiXlIUBUn1Ih4p4d0en9Ps0l04oH1SAXaq3m_oyKEPYwHsnXs9tkz3m8i6WJDYytC0g36i74AyFlNAhytdInr6Av-t2qWYNa3qntBj-Ll0cUH1QCYoYJKyQp1uX9LEjDKn8ZSsLx2qo_Gx_Jrx1bzkOVgOjCGi5okRlGYfqhH4LZ8X_nCgI0j54CeJhnJZ7d7NjLXSdPcYI6_WH8oRjlH8-vejNdrIfdPzoYhhdxLeAmQ50Z_lYL_h1jQKV_XrCuZcoSSmslajX3I5tKCdXM2LRR52aBHpGZHlTtV1pw27ylMIIFMknOHxxmJk4h4Yiivj2uwKiBanUw=w1000-h669-no

Marine Grade Polymer Furniture

For me this was a slow pitch right over the plate. As has been mentioned, you can buy quality outdoor furniture and get years of excellent use from it. Or, buy cheaper Chinese stuff and replace as necessary. Both good choices with merit.

If you buy quality aluminum patio furniture, get frame colors that are neutral, as you can replace cushions or slings over time and effectively have a whole new " look".
If you want quality, made in USA , no maintenance furniture for your boat, check out Telescope Casual Furniture Mfg., they are located in upstate NY.
They make a line of marine grade polymer (think starboard) outdoor furniture with s/s fasteners.
Cushion or sling, great product. It was our choice for sundeck furniture. We love it. Its not cheap, but it sure is comfortable and durable.

Disclaimer: I've been in the Fireplace/Firepit/ Patio furniture/ BBQ/ outdoor heater business for 35+ years. Telescope is a vendor of mine, as I am a dealer of theirs. I have no financial connection to them other than paying my bills for product.;)

Bill

Pics

I was able to locate a few pics. I know how everyone loves pics. The single chair is a swivel rocker, the loveseat has each seat mounted on an indepent spring base.722.jpg

723.jpg
We also have a table top Fire Feature that runs off our propane tank, takes the chill out of the air.;)
Bill

I second the high-quality wicker option. This furniture has been on the aft deck of our Californian for many years. We LIVE out there and find it to be very comfortable and durable. Real wicker and British-made, Lloyd Loom. Pricey, but the PO bought it!

ERIC

Attachments

• Aft Deck (9).jpg
    Aft Deck (9).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Aft Deck (12).jpg
    Aft Deck (12).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
My Wayfair furniture. Ebay. All plastic with storage:dance:

Attachments

• sundeck.jpg
    sundeck.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Sundeck Furniture

Isn't it amazing that such an important aspect of your comfort hasn't been nailed down better than this?:blush:

Not sure what you mean, but we have it "nailed down" perfectly. LOVE our aft deck furniture!

Kraftee: I meant in general it seems that there has been no great effort made by business to address this opportunity. I guess each boat situation is different and boaters have to find our own solutions. I agree that you and others solved yours very nicely. :thumb:

Like boats, everyone has their own tastes and priorities.

I like all folding stuff on my bridge so I have a large workspace if need be.

Cheap and ugly, but for comfort for some, air chairs are preferred....and they fold to nothing.

it is difficult to recommend something to someone, since everyone has different tastes and preferences!

Back
Top Bottom