Sundeck Awning Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
Getting ready to order some Phifertex (White, 70% blockage) to make awning panels for the sundeck of our Defever 44.

A canvas lady we know suggested using black vs. white material because it will reduce glare inside. I was concerned about the dark color causing higher ambient temps on the sundeck (Texas tropical heat!). However, she said that they have black awnings on their sailboat and have not noticed any appreciable heat increase from the dark fabric, and their seating is a lot closer to the awning than we would have on the sundeck.

Anyone in tropical temps have experience with darker colored awning fabric?

We lived in Arizona for 30 years. I would never do anything black there due to the heat. We wanted white, but it is very hard to keep clean. So we went with gray and loved it. Still using gray in Michigan.

Getting ready to order some Phifertex (White, 70% blockage) to make awning panels for the sundeck of our Defever 44.

A canvas lady we know suggested using black vs. white material because it will reduce glare inside. I was concerned about the dark color causing higher ambient temps on the sundeck (Texas tropical heat!). However, she said that they have black awnings on their sailboat and have not noticed any appreciable heat increase from the dark fabric, and their seating is a lot closer to the awning than we would have on the sundeck.

Anyone in tropical temps have experience with darker colored awning fabric?

Your canvas lady would be right.

I had black canvas awning on 2 of my vessels and love them. The temps on the topside can get hotter then the white awning, however the underside stays pretty much cooler as to where you will not nice it like she said.

I will use black awnings over white any day. They really do not show the dirt as much, however those damn bird droppings are a pain.:banghead:

Cheers

H

I've made both black & white windshield covers for myself and others.
Both work well and I think it's largely a personal preference.
Visibility through the black was probably a little better but I agree the white is cooler.

If you are looking for a source for material Rochford Supply
I've found their prices attractive and they sometimes have good buys on 2nd & close-out fabrics. They will send samples of a few if you aren't sure which you are interested in.

Thanks all.... looks like a toss-up on color... probably go with navy blue to match the shear stripe and bimini.

Back
Top Bottom