Old 06-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Lol. Love it.
But seriously now, give us the inside scoop; will that shroud lift next spring to reveal a half dozen LNG facilities and a mountain of gold?
Hard to say. Shell has the best shot, and judging by the activity in town by them, their contractors, and speculators building hotels and apartment buildings, it'll probably go.

Shell delayed their final investment decision until after the Enbridge Northern Gateway proposal is supposed to officially die in six months (unless Enbridge gets the three year extension they applied for) because a large coalition of groups has told Christy Clark that if she has any hope of seeing her LNG dreams on the north coast of BC come to fruition, she must deny the Northern Gateway permits first.

Interesting times, indeed.

Murray

Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #22

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Never had a Tilley. Can't justify a hundred bucks for something that's sure to get forgot, blowed away or stole. Thrift store sou' westers are a couple bucks.

Are Tilleys water/rain proof?
FWIW... The Conner Tarpon Springs Floating Supplex Sailing Hat is waterproof and it's half the price of a Tilley.

Conner Tarpon Springs Floating Supplex Sailing Hat View All

Old 06-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck View Post
FWIW... The Conner Tarpon Springs Floating Supplex Sailing Hat is waterproof and it's half the price of a Tilley.
Arrrrrrr!
Thank ye, matey.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
I use the hard top on the fly bridge to protect me from the evil sun it has the same 100% shielding properties as a pilot house roof with the advantage of free conditioning
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #25

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I use the hard top on the fly bridge to protect me from the evil sun it has the same 100% shielding properties as a pilot house roof with the advantage of free conditioning
Don't be fooled... Just because you're in the shade of your hard top or bimini doesn't mean you're protected from the suns damaging rays. As most here already know, the glare coming off the water is one of the worst sources for getting a sunburn, same goes for the reflection off of snow on a sunny day.

Use a high quality sunscreen like the Blue Lizard brand, originally from Australia now manufactured in the U.S.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #26
Guru

Australia has the unfortunate role of melanoma capital of the world. Mostly European skin types exposed to strong sun, olive complexions fare better. We banned tanning beds several years ago. For years we`ve had a "slip slop slap" (shirt/suncream/hat) campaign. I`ve been relatively fortunate but a mate who sailed with me years ago(part Spanish ancestry) recently had surgery on half of his nose.
Protection and regular skin checks help but as said above, much of the damage happened long ago, when a tan was seen as healthy, rather than as burnt damaged skin.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Australia has the unfortunate role of melanoma capital of the world. Mostly European skin types exposed to strong sun, olive complexions fare better. We banned tanning beds several years ago. For years we`ve had a "slip slop slap" (shirt/suncream/hat) campaign. I`ve been relatively fortunate but a mate who sailed with me years ago(part Spanish ancestry) recently had surgery on half of his nose.
Protection and regular skin checks help but as said above, much of the damage happened long ago, when a tan was seen as healthy, rather than as burnt damaged skin.
While we can't change the world, we're very proud to have influenced our family and friends and closest acquaintances to respect the sun and protect their skin. Much of it is lack of knowledge at the ages they're most susceptible. Fortunately with some education plus some photos they've responded well. Not surprisingly, tanning is huge in South Florida and it's easy to feel like an outcast without a good tan between those who have tanned and the large number of Hispanic and Mixed Race girls who have beautiful natural tans.

Now, there are some other things that need to be done. Part of a "complete physical" should include checking your skin over every inch of your body. Annual physicals by many doctors leave much to be desired. I've had them where I didn't remove any clothes. They should include skin checks, 6 minute walks to check for respiratory issues, checking vocal cords and throat and I'm sure they're more. However, those three things require no labs, no expensive equipment, just observation, a watch and a $200 oximeter, and a good mirror.

I don't think I'm a health fanatic today but I have over the years become much more conscious of health and of a healthy lifestyle. I really enjoy my life and I want to continue living as well as possible so I'm willing to work some toward those goals. People are amazed we don't gain weight. Well, we walk, swim, play basketball, play tennis and when those aren't available use the treadmill. We don't eat the ideal diet but we eat reasonably well. We don't smoke. We drink only occasionally. And we weigh every day. We also limit sun exposure. Even with SPF 50 and hardtop over us and cabana's and all the rest we still get enough sun that we aren't pale white. We do that just from our normal activities. Our minimum sun exposure is all we want, not more added to it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
Guru

Even so,I understand we need some level of sun exposure to access or activate Vitamin D, necessary for bone growth and maintenance. No idea how it works but I`ve read about and accept the connection. There was concern here recently that sun protection might have been too well accepted, leading to a Vitamin D deficiency.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Even so,I understand we need some level of sun exposure to access or activate Vitamin D, necessary for bone growth and maintenance. No idea how it works but I`ve read about and accept the connection. There was concern here recently that sun protection might have been too well accepted, leading to a Vitamin D deficiency.
Vitamin D is something that not enough doctors check. A lot of people have a deficiency and it seems many do who get plenty of sun. We get more than enough sun even with protection. Diet is also a factor. Those with milk allergies, vegans, lack of fish and eggs and grain. People with darker skin seem to be more at risk. Definitely something that should be checked at least annually because often there are no symptoms.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
As liveaboards we get plenty of sun despite our efforts at protection. My last physical and blood work indicated a vitamin D deficiency. I take a vitamin D supplement now as recommended by my physician.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sidney
Whenever I follow these kinds of discussions I wonder, as I'm sure a lot of other folks do, how the hell my grandfathers made it past 40.

They both smoked, drank in moderation, never cleaned the coffee pot and everything was fried in lard that never left the pan; just got added to.

No allergies, no lactose or glucose issues, no skin problems.

Belched, chewed snus and spat but rarely sneezed.
I don't think either saw a doctor more than a few times; not even when a toe or finger sailed off into the bush.

Both UK born.
Both deafer'n cedars.
Big gnarly hands.
Arms brown as a bears ass.
Both spent their entire lives working outdoors.
Both made it past 95 before we planted them.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #32
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
And how did OUR kids survive? And how did we survive? No car seats, seat belts, bike helmets, etc. And, the teacher was always right. If my parents went to see the teacher, I was scared sh**less, not the teacher! Talk about thread drift.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:17 AM   #33
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
And how did OUR kids survive? And how did we survive? No car seats, seat belts, bike helmets, etc. And, the teacher was always right. If my parents went to see the teacher, I was scared sh**less, not the teacher! Talk about thread drift.

We must not be our parents
Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #34
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck View Post

That does look pretty nice.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote