Suggestion for dock corner guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Lucky me the marina is putting in new finger slip for me (rest of the boats get to keep using the crappy old ones for at least a year). The downside is that they do not want me to screw in my dock wheel on the corner. I find this handy when coming in it tricky wind/tide situations. I am long for suggested options. String Fender's, ball, ex boss? Let me know I am t-minus 90 days for launching.

Is there a way to attach your dock wheel without using screws? Maybe a C-Clamp (shaped) arrangement or some such? Or maybe some other strapping hardware?

-Chris

Toss a big ass tire over the corner for now; they'll reconsider your corner bumper

Would they be opposed to the wheel if you agreed to leave it in place if/when you move to another slip or marina. Our marina doesn't allow things to be screwed or bolted to the dock unless the slip tenant agrees to leave it behind when they permanently leave the marina.

I am going to ask them if I can screw it in if I agree to leave it. I am greatful that they replaced the docks for me so I do not want to push too hard which is why I was looking at options.

Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Did that with the old crappy dock we had. These are brand new and the only ones in the marina. I prefer not to make waves when they could have just replaced my dock with another crappy one from another slip.

Offer to pay them to install it and agree that once attached to the dock it is marina property.

Would they be opposed to the wheel if you agreed to leave it in place if/when you move to another slip or marina?
My marina does this.:blush:

I've heard that the wheel type dock fenders can do severe damage if hit hard. The the axle bracket protrudes from the corner and can tear into a hull causing much damage. A simple corner pad type fender may be a better option.

I've heard that the wheel type dock fenders can do severe damage if hit hard. The the axle bracket protrudes from the corner and can tear into a hull causing much damage. A simple corner pad type fender may be a better option.

I was on a dock waiting to catch a line for a 42 ft sailboat that was coming in. He came in a little hot and hit the corner wheel. It broke in half and part of it flew past me. The axle then left a 6 ft gouge in the side of his hull. I'm not a fan of wheels.

"I am going to ask them if I can screw it in if I agree to leave it."

Bolting might be a better install than screws.

Bolting might be a better install than screws.

I agree, which is why a lot of Marina's have this rule. What they really want to control is not just WHAT is installed, but HOW it's installed. I've met people who aren't qualified to carry my toolbox.

Agree. Corner fender with lg fender washers and lag bolts should be adequate.

I have bolted the bracket in on the previous dock and would do so again. The actual peg holding the wheel is vertical so I am not concerned about damage. We only use it when backing in if I am facing a bad tide/wind scenario. My dock mate has a 50' Nordy and puts a lot more stress on his wheel than I could ever do without incident. I am going to go in a speak to the owner when I make my spring payment in cash, figure that will help. Will let you know the end result

The other downside to the wheels is they don't move up/down. Leaving a row of scuffs/scrapes from the knobbed tread if you happen to have any wave action or rocking motion when against the wheel. Took a fit bit of polishing to remove the scuffs, but thankfully just shy of gouging the paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom