Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Success of TrawlerForum

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Yup, he*DOES know a lot about boats but he's a bit too opinionated and full of himself*for my liking. JMHO.
Point well taken. I doubt there are many boats (even new ones) that would meet ALL of the A.B.Y.C. standards, but it's a worthy goal.* Realistically, I think there would be far more liability from sub-standard new instilations, than from one that was done to the standard that was current at the time of manufacture.* Perhaps, spending so much time spreadng the message has gone to his head....................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Howdy guys...I am on the road and was only able to read the first couple of posts and have to head out the door again RIGHT NOW so can't read it all. I will catch up on it tomorrow!!!! But from the first few posts I just want to say thank you ofr civility and your participation. Because of people like y'all, this forum is extremely easy to moderate. Anyway, I am in a huge hurry and gotta go. Talk to y'all tomorrow and thank you so much for participating on Trawler Forum!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Charles ,
I don't think the original PM site was bad to use at all.
It was when they went to the new format and we all had to re register that it went to poo.
The 1 st couple of years was good and and a lot of good people on board. FF will remember them.

But TF is the ducks nuts .
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #25

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

IMO,there are specific reasons for the forums success. First it is user*friendly and second its users are friendly.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #26
Guru

Glad to see I am not the only one who thought the PM site was way too slow and the mag is too focused on million dollar boats. I think TF is a great source of information and a good sounding board for ideas.

Kudos
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
TF Site Team

Success of TrawlerForum

Thanks again, folks. I am back from my TransPacific Odyssey and sitting down with a cup of coffee after a little nap. I have said it many times before and I will say it again. We had been thinking about this forum for years. We(me and the mouse in my pocket) are "relatively" young and had other hobbies and I always marveled at the forums offered to enthusiasts of other hobbies/lifestyles. The only options we trawlers folks had was T&T and PM. While I certainly believed T&T to be a valuable source of info and fun as well, an email based list was WAY beyond obsolete and just too tedious to keep up with....not to mention it's strict moderation caused solely by it's obsolescence. *To be honest with you, this was the biggest burr under my saddle. *The mods over there could be downright *******s for no reason!!! And to me, PM was not even an option it was so slow. So the Trawler Forum was born....purely out of necessity and the urge to provide trawler folks a place to "hang out".
That has always been our motivation. Doug and I talk about advertising all the time and I am inundated on a regular basis with questions related to that. My only reply to that is, "Not right now.". Will we in the future???...maybe. But I will absolutely PROMISE that if we do ever go that route that ACCESSIBILITY and USER FRIENDLINESS will ALWAYS be our TOP PRIORITY!!!!! And if we do, we will make sure that it adds value to the forum and not take away from the experience. Like I said, this forum was born out of necessity due to a lack of any other of it's kind. It will continue to serve it's purpose in the future and that purpose is listed above!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Doug has always been the technical guy and is really responsible for getting this thing up and running. It was mostly my idea though and through many discussions, it became our idea. He has always had the "keys" to the site and I have just basically been the people person and moderator. He has NO spare time, I have tons(ya shoulda been a pilot). With that said, we just had a little discussion and I now have the keys so...WATCH OUT!!!! You might see some very minor rearrangement but you will probably barely notice. I would like to provide the Aussies and Kiwis their own "Cruising events" area since we have such a large contingent from down under.

I am just thinking out loud here and blabbering so I will shut up. Thank y'all so very much for your participation in Trawler Forum. Y'all have made it what it is today!!!!

Baker

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 6th of December 2010 03:45:07 PM
Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #28

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan

Charles,Thanks, "Brody" is a daughter's Lab who is obviously starved for affection but is an excellent helmsman. We get to dog sit when she is traveling.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

"I would like to provide the Aussies and Kiwis their own "Cruising events" area since we have such a large contingent from down under."

Hey, that'd be good John, d'yuh think you could swing it....?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #30
TF Site Team

I think so....It might take me a bit to figure out how to work this thing but I could sure try.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #31
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

TrawlerForum is presently*the best general boat sites.* The one big advantage is Off the Deep End where politics and non boating stuff are which is about 25% of the post and the second most active after the General.

As for difficulty to post to PMM, trawlerform and other that may be your computers fault.* To correct under TOOL click on Compatibility View.** With my old Sony, 7+ years old and fast Verizon Broad Band the sites worked fine. I could not see understand why other members where having trouble.* Then I bought a new PC for work and the boat most of the sites feature buttons did not work. *See if that takes care of the problem.

As to slowest of some site again that might be your computer and/or internet connections.* With the new faster computers and new faster Verizon Broad band with WiFi PMM loads almost as fast as trawlerforum and other sites.* Shoot when I boot the new PC, I go get a cup of coffee as Windows take so long to load. I want it and I want it now!

So instead of one boat site I now have several.* I mean I got to get my daily fix someplace?*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

While Mr. Baker goes trans-Pacific, I go trans-Louisiana. Currently on the west side of the state working another oil /gas play. I look forward to reading TF every day, OTDE is always entertaining, sometimes a little rough, but always entertaining. Plus, you guys have helped me out on projects many times, and I appreciate it. So, thanks John & Doug and Merry Christmas to all.
Mike
Baton Rouge, LA
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

And the board seems to be really active right now. I love it! Makes the winter doldrums more bearable.
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
dwhatty wrote: And the board seems to be really active right now. I love it!
It must be mental telepathy, I was thinking the same thing. No doldrums down here
though.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

dwhatty wrote: And the board seems to be really active right now. I love it!
It must be mental telepathy, I was thinking the same thing. No doldrums down here
though.

We'd be glad to send them your way. Will even pay the postage.

dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Success of TrawlerForum

I use to be a mod on a Scuba diving site. Folks there got so passionate and the site owner was so restrictive that it killed the site. We were busy mods. I think that if some of the folks were to meet face to face there would have been fist fights. I have yet to see anyone on this site get out of control and thus far everyone has been VERY supportive. Maybe because of the one Topic area here that allows folks to blow off some steam ... I dont know

The other boating site (no mention) was kind of getting like that (IMO) opinions were getting to be too polarized with little room for concession. The other site had a vast amount of very useful technical (in some cases historical) information and I am sorry that it will most likely be lost. But then, their search tool was garbage and they changed the format of things way too often.

Also, this site is in its adolescence (if you will) - it's still fresh and growing. I think that eventually this site will experience many of the same problems if it stays the same. I see this happening with many of the "social / technical" web sites. Hopefully someone will institute a better data mining engine that will allow more complex searches. (Wouldn't it be nice to have a search that not only searched this site but also searched topic related sites on the web? Why should my search for Perkins 6-354 be limited to just this site? And If I could do more advanced searches I could limit it down to valves and get everything from finding parts to adjusting to replacing. Some if it user experiences, all the way up to tech manuals.)

-- Edited by carvendive on Monday 13th of December 2010 02:57:00 PM

-- Edited by carvendive on Monday 13th of December 2010 03:03:17 PM
carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I came over from the Willard Boat Owners group site. Frequently there's a darth of activity on WBO and looking for some action I came to TF. Found it. It's been a good ride so far (even over the bumps) and I look fwd to the extended cruise.
I can ditto many to most of the previous comments but here we are at page 4 and almost half the copy has been about PMM. This thread sounds more like the failure of PMM than the success of TF. TF is a success though and I'm proud to be part of it. Thank you all.

PMM*** ..just forget it.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #38
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I was never on PMM so no loss to me, whatever it was.

I know I already posted here but TF is the site I can go to with truly like minded people similar boats/issues/set ups/problems. Other boating forums I am very active on have a more "general" nature to them...express cruisers, sedans, motor yachts, etc. I like that diversity and you get lots of perspectives but really...if I have a trawler type issue, the only place to get a real answer and tremendous insight is here in TF. To get that kind of info along with a lot of nice folks results in TF being a tremendous resource.

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote