Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #41
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
RE: Which Style Trawler?

John, Welcome to the forum and nice avatar of Lake Powell. That lake is on my bucket list!

Growing up, we kept 2 props for our outboards that we referred to as a speed prop (higher pitch) and a power prop ( lower pitch). The speed prop kept the engine at redline at WOT, giving us the most boat speed for the engine RPM. We used the power prop for towing kids on skis in underpowered boats and boating at higher elevation lakes. We had to be careful not to over-rev the engine but we could pull much better with the lower pitch prop. The tradeoff in lower top speed was worth it for us.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #42
RE: Which Style Trawler?

John & Mr. FlyWright, thanks. I'm getting the picture. I'm very happy to be going slow*and maybe I'll just*ratchet it down a notch or 2 and try the 7 mph cruising speed to see if my gph will go down along with it. Yeah, Lake Powell is a beauty. Tons of canyons to explore. Can be sketchy if the weather gets rough, but where doesn't it? I won't be cruising or much of anything including e-mail for a month or so as I start nights at Palo Verde Generating Station tomorrow.*If I don't respond to messages promptly, please be patient. Looking forward to gleaning more info from you Seniors and Gurus and using the it*to better my boating experiences and skills. Got a trip planned in November a week after the outage and its a perfect time of the year. We love the late fall, winter and early spring because the knuckleheads are gone and we have the lake to ourselves. Thanks again,

bachrachj is offline   Reply With Quote