Which Style Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woodsong wrote:
SO what did you make an offer on Tony? .............
*My offer was turned down and he made a counter offer. I said no and I am not making a counter offer. If he accepted I would not have jumped for joy, it would just have been a good deal, that's all.

I am slowly turning down lots of work in my woodworking business to clear my shop for working on my new old boat when I get one. Besides I need a break. Having 2 full time careers is getting old.

boatk9 wrote:
So after all the discussion about "style", what was the configuration of the boat you described?
*It was an aft cabin design.

We both like it better for*a few*reasons but are still open to whatever comes along. If we were buying new, it would be a really tough decision. Since we are buying used, we will take whatever comes along first that tickes our fancy. We can make anything work for us.

Switching to a trawler makes sense.* This was reinforced after watching a 12-14-foot sailing dinghy capsize twice while we were enjoying brunch at HS Lordships in Berkeley today.

img_55651_0_9feaf48b28e45c49c416e994ac96b479.jpg

Hey! I want to know the answer to the prop question. What is a cruising prop and what would the other type(s) be called? How do I know what I have on my boat? Thanks,

john in Flagstaff

A cruising prop is just a prop w too much pitch done purposely to decrease fuel consumption. I had never heard of the expression until FF started using it. It works fine if you never run your boat in an overloaded state but you really don't know what speed that begins to occur. The benefit is small and the upper end of your boats performance is eliminated. And overloading results any time you push the rpm too far up the scale and you don't know how far up that is. Engine manufacturers don't recommend it. You should be able to attain the rpm where your engine is rated for power. For example - 2500rpm for a Ford Lehman.

Thanks Eric. Sounds like I'd be better off just sticking with the prop I have. Just trying to figure out how to*get a little better economy than 5 GPH at 9mph. it has a*260 hp gas Mercuriser with an outdrive as big as a tree trunk. I still love my Tolly though. Thanks again,

john

And John, since you are gas powered, an overloaded prop would cause your engine to bog down and detonate/ping....which would be significantly more detrimental to your gas engine as opposed to a diesel engine. AN overloaded diesel would just shorten it's life over a long period of time. A gasoline engine that was continuously overloaded would not last long at all. A modern computerized engine(read car engines here) has things in place to prevent detonation....most boat installations don't...at least not older ones.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 11:43:13 AM

Thanks John. What I do now, according to advice from my mechanic here is get up to speed and then back off untill I don't hear the secondaries on the carburator anymore. This is usually around 2800 rpm. That gets me to about 9 mph per the handheld GPS. Any other tips on treating my boat better are greatly appreciated.

John in Flag

nomadwilly wrote:
A cruising prop is just a prop w too much pitch done purposely to decrease fuel consumption. I had never heard of the expression until FF started using it.
*Eric--- I have never heard the term "cruise prop" used in the marine world.* Nobody on the GB owners forum--- even the true gurus-- use this term when props and prop pitch is discussed, even though GBs from the factory were equipped with "cruise props."

"Cruise prop" is an aviation expression as you probably know since you are a pilot.* It is used to describe the attributes of a fixed-pitch propeller.* The alternative to a cruise prop is a "climb prop."*

A cruise prop is as you say, a fixed pitch propeller with a coarser pitch so as to take a bigger bite of air and move the plane faster for a given rpm.* A cruise prop generally will not let the engine achieve maximum rated rpm.* And since horsepower is a function of rpm, a plane with a cruise prop will cruise efficiently but it won't climb very well because the prop will not allow the engine to develop it's maximum horsepower, which is what you need in order to be able to climb fast.

A "climb prop" is just the opposite.* It has a finer pitch and so allows the engine to easily achieve maximum rpm. So a plane with a climb prop takes off and climbs quickly because both these functions are dependent on horsepower which in turn is dependent upon rpm.* But a climb prop requires more rpm to achieve a given cruise speed, which means the plane burns more fuel than it would with a cruise prop.

In aviation, this led to the development of the variable pitch prop which permits the best of both worlds with the same prop.* The variable pitch prop evolved into the constant-speed prop, but the constant-speed simply takes over the pitch adjustment workload from the pilot.

I know you know all this but other readers might not.....

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 12:46:22 PM

To put it into car terms, which I will assume we all have, a cruise prop would be like running a car in higher gear...excellent for efficiency but not good for low end performance(bog,detonate,ping). Have you ever heard a car that was in too high of a gear for the demand being put on it....you end up hearing "dieseling" or all that pinging and clattering. No big deal if it is momentary. But if you left it like that for an extended time it would mess stuff up in a hurry. Just like if you have a variable pitch prop on an airplane....if you have a high power setting(high manifold pressure) and low RPM it will cause significant damage in a very short period of time(ie burn pistons).

John, Welcome to the forum and nice avatar of Lake Powell. That lake is on my bucket list!

Growing up, we kept 2 props for our outboards that we referred to as a speed prop (higher pitch) and a power prop ( lower pitch). The speed prop kept the engine at redline at WOT, giving us the most boat speed for the engine RPM. We used the power prop for towing kids on skis in underpowered boats and boating at higher elevation lakes. We had to be careful not to over-rev the engine but we could pull much better with the lower pitch prop. The tradeoff in lower top speed was worth it for us.

John & Mr. FlyWright, thanks. I'm getting the picture. I'm very happy to be going slow*and maybe I'll just*ratchet it down a notch or 2 and try the 7 mph cruising speed to see if my gph will go down along with it. Yeah, Lake Powell is a beauty. Tons of canyons to explore. Can be sketchy if the weather gets rough, but where doesn't it? I won't be cruising or much of anything including e-mail for a month or so as I start nights at Palo Verde Generating Station tomorrow.*If I don't respond to messages promptly, please be patient. Looking forward to gleaning more info from you Seniors and Gurus and using the it*to better my boating experiences and skills. Got a trip planned in November a week after the outage and its a perfect time of the year. We love the late fall, winter and early spring because the knuckleheads are gone and we have the lake to ourselves. Thanks again,

john

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom