Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
I guess if your baseline is a N57 (sitting at anchor in CR no less) I can much better understand the comment now!

Understand the visibility comments from a function perspective, but I'd still say the DD are a good looking boat - if form can be separated from function for the purposes of online debate.
Actually the idea of having to live in a D.D. is way too much like a lot of sailboats.. just a bit too cave like. Lots of boats have great visibility from the inside out while still maintaining decent window protection. Yes the N57 is a great boat .. but out of reach for most of us ( me included ). It rains
( dumps 1/2" - 3/4" ) every afternoon here for at least three hours and I expect it to get worse in Panama, Life in a duck would be less than great.. unless you huddle under a boom tarp on the back deck.
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #22

I think the Coot is a good looking boat.Have to agree the Manatee is not the prettiest but there are many that are worse.I would rather own an ugly boat than no boat .

expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
hustler,

The only thing I'd want to change on the Manatee visually is that round port window fwd on the side.

Here is a boat that many in Puget Sound will remember. And for those that don't remember it served as a ferry from the Everett Harbor to Jetty Island just across the river. Somebody bought her and has been using the old Holiday as a livaboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71732 copy.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	19663  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
hustler,

The only thing I'd want to change on the Manatee visually is that round port window fwd on the side.

Here is a boat that many in Puget Sound will remember. And for those that don't remember it served as a ferry from the Everett Harbor to Jetty Island just across the river. Somebody bought her and has been using the old Holiday as a livaboard.
That is heart braking. A little bigger steel boat replaced her tjat has similar desin/looks.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
hustler,

LOL. I have to take extra care in addressing this since the window hadn't even entered my mind as an item contributing to the style blocks in the boat. Still, if you were to change it, what would you do? Since both these windows are in closets, I have no allegiance to them.

Your ferry example above one for the style block encyclopedia.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #26

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

Actually the idea of having to live in a D.D. is way too much like a lot of sailboats.. just a bit too cave like. Lots of boats have great visibility from the inside out while still maintaining decent window protection. Yes the N57 is a great boat .. but out of reach for most of us ( me included ). It rains
( dumps 1/2" - 3/4" ) every afternoon here for at least three hours and I expect it to get worse in Panama, Life in a duck would be less than great.. unless you huddle under a boom tarp on the back deck.
HOLLYWOOD
Very good point, and I understand completely - the idea of a vista from the galley and settee (or a well covered aft deck) seems pretty nice. I would imagine that's why Seahorse had Buehler draw up a sedan version of the DD!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
Guru

Round ports on a boat w few or no others the same or similar makes it look odd, not right, disconnected. Can't think of a word that is really right even though this is probably all in my head and not true. Chris Craft did it about 1960. Owens did it earlier and later.

It's probably not much of an issue or no issue at all but I'd say if your fwd port window was shaped like the other windows the boat would look better.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The low-profile, non-sedan DD would seem to be a much more seaworthy vessel: smaller, stronger windows, lower center of gravity.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #29

City: Sydney
for the tri-curious

One of the Sea Shepherd boats taking a break in Hobart before heading south to annoy the Japanese whalers[
ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04190.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	19702[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor stuff 3.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	19701   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04185.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	19703  
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"Actually the idea of having to live in a D.D. is way too much like a lot of sailboats.."

Unless very large most ocean worthy boats will be closer to sailboats , in living aboard terms , than motor yachts.

The smaller size and less above deck area is easier to get strong enough to resist breaking waves coming aboard.

About 60 ft with a really heavy boat living a story or two above water level becomes possible , but comfort will depend on added stability paravanes or driven fins or both..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
When I first saw the drawings for the Roughwater 58, I thought.....That's really odd.....Especially for Ed Monk, a designer I have great respect for. Then I eventually learned that the boat is based on a disused Fishboat mold found in a Taiwan field. Monk only bobbed the stern and drew a house and arrangement, which (IMO) he did a decent job of.

Attachment 19632

Attachment 19633
That is one of the better picture of the hull shape as most are the bottom painted black. I think that is the Swan Song that crosseded to Hawaii and is for sale. As near as I can tell o.only 7 were made and 5 still exist. The 58 was made in the same yard as the Krogan. Each has a different state room lay out.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Guru

Phil,

I really am grateful for the hauled pic of the RW. It's a very interesting hull form for a yacht (in my opinion) and I've not seen another.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
HOLLYWOOD
I am going to have to agree with you here. Let the record show that I do think the DD is a handsome boat. BUT, what "forced" me from a sailboat to a trawler was exactly this. The "cave effect" and that is what I have always called it. The straw that broke the camels back was one early afternoon while anchor out on a beautiful February day in Texas. We saw a cloud coming...and it wasn't meteorological. It was MOSQUITOES!!!! So we were trapped inside the boat for the rest of the day and into the night and next morning. I thought I was gonna go crazy.

Anyway, Hollywood, I do not think that was the gist of this thread. We are talking exterior design here. Not interior comfort as it relates to natural light. But I am in full agreement with you in that regard. And also one of the reasons I sought out a flybridge boat for this time around. A flybridge usually offers a big salon. But it is all in how you want to use your boat. The DD makes for a very decent passagemaker on a relatively small budget as it compares to a Nordhavn.
Baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Phil/Fill - once again I have to respectfully disagree. Yours is not even close to being an ugly boat. The Manatee .. OK, I'll concede that one. But not the RW 58.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, Phil: No matter how much you say it, the Eagle just doesn't go on the list of ugly boats. The only validation you have at all is the fact that I like the Eagle, and I do have a reputation for liking ugly boats.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
If I think the Eagle is ugly, what more do I need to say? I mean it in a nice way! However ugly can sort of grow on you. You just have to look past the ugly points. Actually, we bought the Eagle for the interior lay out and room. Once in side its not so bad as least we do not have to look at the ugly out side.

One of the first thing I was going to do is take off the wantabe forward slanting arch or at least turn it around. But after 17 years it still there. The stern is butt ugly, but it has a big protect stern deck. 8 ft by 13 ft. The hull is basically straight up and down, and so is the superstructure. The only salvation is the teak trim that breaks up it up. Otherwise it would be a up/down plain UGLIER boat.

Anyway we spent most of the time/funds on the interior glamed, solftened and warmed up as the interior was worse than the exterior stark, shippy and cold.
Ya know Phil - Guess I never mentioned this before... but... IMHO, from first time I saw her in picts, I think your RW 58' is a real good looking "rough water" capable craft, i.e. designed to take it when the going gets really rough and tough! After all... she is an Ed Monk design, is she not? I'm very attracted to Monk designs for several reasons... an important one is their hull/superstructure/COG design features. Id be pleased to be aboard your boat in steep seas!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
That is one of the better picture of the hull shape as most are the bottom painted black. I think that is the Swan Song that crosseded to Hawaii and is for sale. As near as I can tell o.only 7 were made and 5 still exist. The 58 was made in the same yard as the Krogan. Each has a different state room lay out.
I just realized that Swan Song was the one fitted with a Flume Tank stabilizer which the owner claimed was excellent. I would guess the tank was fitted after the 1999 photos as it's not evident there......
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Phil's is one of fewer than 10 built. Here's a quote from Hal Paris:

Hal Paris interview…Below are the actual words Hal Paris gave me on the Roughwater 58

I saw the big hull mold lying in a field alongside the Chen Hwa boat yard. I got the plans and sent them to Ed Monk Sr. and asked if he could redesign the hull into a pleasure boat? Monk trimmed her down in the stern and made a nice looking boat. Monk did not design the hull, only the superstructure. Less than 10 of these were built. The original fishing boat was designed to be carried aboard a mother ship and then put in the water for fishing.

From the Roughwater site:

Roughwater Boats, Trawlers, Ed Monk, Monk Design,Boats, Cruisers, Puget Sound, Diesel Trawlers, Trawlers, Roughwater

I think there is one in Hawaii for sale at this time.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Quote:
hustler,

Actually, the Holiday ran between Everett and Hat Island for many many years. I rode her a few times going to our property over there and also years ago while building the fire station. Coast Guard finally put an end to that.

I heard whe was now in Alaska.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
I just realized that Swan Song was the one fitted with a Flume Tank stabilizer which the owner claimed was excellent. I would guess the tank was fitted after the 1999 photos as it's not evident there......

yes. I think I have some pictures, general plan and along technical paper I do not understand. Years ago I was thinking of building one has its a box with baffles that time the water back and forth to counter the roll. It ismounted on top of the pilot house. He spoke very positive of it.