Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: So Pasadena, Fl
Vessel Name: Zachary David
Vessel Model: Marine trader, Pilot House 35
Stunning Gulfstar

ATTACH]45492[/ATTACH]
Saw this today while anchored in one of my regular day anchorages. I'm the one in the background. Is this anyone on here?
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445041890.077094.jpg  
dsmylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
She looks a bit top heavy IMO. 😳
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Stunning I'd not the word I'd choose.

Wasn't that boat for sale a while back and there was a thread about it here?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
It's stunning, on Opposite Day that is. What and ugly creation, I think I was the one that started a thread on it while ago. Maybe it wasn't me, can't remember.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
It's stunning, on Opposite Day that is. What and ugly creation, I think I was the one that started a thread on it while ago. Maybe it wasn't me, can't remember.
What's not to like? It has a pilot house which TF members seem to prefer, it has a cockpit, rooftop dinghy storage, large swim platform, always fade blue, aft stateroom and galley up.

But is it a single or twin?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I agree that it's butt ugly.

Now I have a question that I've thought about. A friend wants to buy a bigger boat and is looking at a Carver Mariner. Here's a photo of one.

I'm sorry but I think this is one of the ugliest boats ever to hit the water. If any of you own one, I'm sorry, and I'm sorry if you're offended.

Now to my question. If a friend of yours was relatively new to boating and was about to buy a REAL ugly boat, would you share your opinion with him, or would you just keep your trap shut?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I agree that it's butt ugly.

Now I have a question that I've thought about. A friend wants to buy a bigger boat and is looking at a Carver Mariner. Here's a photo of one.

I'm sorry but I think this is one of the ugliest boats ever to hit the water. If any of you own one, I'm sorry, and I'm sorry if you're offended.

Now to my question. If a friend of yours was relatively new to boating and was about to buy a REAL ugly boat, would you share your opinion with him, or would you just keep your trap shut?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Big white tennis shoes on the water like that Mariner will never win a marine elegance award in my book, but now that we shopped like crazy and bought a big floating clorox bottle ourselves, I've come to appreciate the utility and space and comfort of some of the designs. That Mariner always looked a little like an orca to me, although after looking at a lot of those on our shopping odyssey, they're like being trapped in a fiberglass cave. They almost feel like an express style boat down below even though they're not. We were pretty big Carver fans and we wanted to like them, but we dismissed those Mariners pretty quickly.

Now the 2015 Carver C40 we toured at the Newport Boat Show last month, that was a different story. That may be our next boat, in a few years after somebody else eats some massive depreciation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20151017_002002.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	45498
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
FF
Guru

A classic ROOMARAN!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmylie View Post
ATTACH]45492[/ATTACH]
Saw this today while anchored in one of my regular day anchorages. I'm the one in the background. Is this anyone on here?
Looks like somebody photo shopped the cockpit and swim platform onto the back. Those aren't original are they?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Quote:
If a friend of yours was relatively new to boating and was about to buy a REAL ugly boat, would you share your opinion with him, or would you just keep your trap shut?
When I first started looking at big boats 8 or so years ago, I shared my thoughts about the boats I was interested in with my marine mentor, someone whose thoughts about boats I respected. I'll admit now (reluctantly) that I was taken in by the floating condo concept, most not significantly different in appearance than some of those above, and I shared with my mentor the glossy brochures I'd picked up at boat shows and sales events that featured those designs.

Rather than telling me the boats were ugly, which I'm sure was his initial thought in most cases, he urged me to list what I wanted the boat for and what I planned to do with it, determine the designs that were appropriate for my plans, and become smarter on what boat designs had characteristics that fit. I made my list, and as I studied and became more aware of boat designs that fit, my concept of beauty changed.

To sum up my experience, my concept of "beauty" in boats was influenced by my understanding of the boat's fitness for my intended use. Perhaps the boat your friend is about to buy is beautiful to him or her, because it fits well. Perhaps s/he doesn't know enough about what boat design fits well to truly judge which boats are beautiful.

For someone "about to buy" an ugly boat, it's probably too late. Trying to talk someone out of a purchase when they're already in the heat of the battle may get you uninvited from future cruises or dockside bar-b-ques and cocktails. Who wants that? But if your input is requested, rather than insulting your friend's concept of what they think makes a boat beautiful, point out why you think the boat might not be appropriate for the friend's intended use or urge him/her to keep studying boat design to determine which boat fits its intended use.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
Guru

City: Anacortes
Some of those ugly boats have some of the best flowing interiors that I find I enjoy. They are still ugly on the outside though.

Most folks can't separate the issues, so one is best off keeping quiet. I'd hate to offend by telling you what I really thought about the presented designs.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
I had a friend who was buying his first boat. He and his wife had settled on a boat that has the reputation of being an "ugly duckling". I told him to walk down the dock, turn around and look at the boat. If he didn't think it was the best looking boat on the dock, he should reconsider. He called me a few days later, horrified at how close he came to buying the ugliest boat on the dock. He said all they really looked at was the great interior and never really looked at the boat from the outside.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
[QUOTE=GFC;380022]I agree that it's butt ugly.

"Now I have a question that I've thought about. A friend wants to buy a bigger boat and is looking at a Carver Mariner. Here's a photo of one.

I'm sorry but I think this is one of the ugliest boats ever to hit the water. If any of you own one, I'm sorry, and I'm sorry if you're offended."

GFC,
It's not my style either. I wouln't have one. I don't like to see these bloated bullet boats anywhere .. in the marina or on the water.

But as much as I don't like them this one actually is a good looking boat .. as a piece of sculpture if you will. Some trawlers are as bad though mostly through clutter. This Carver is not burdened w clutter and has nice flowing lines. Not what we like to see but from a design point of view it's a good looking boat. Sorry I couldn't get on your wagon.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I had a very close friend that bought that model of boat with gas engines. It was against my recommendation. The inside was cavernous and well finished. No helm below. The bridge had a sit down helm that put your feet out in ahead somewhat like driving a bus. Since the bridge was the only helm station it needed a protective enclosure that FF calls an oxygen tent. When it rained in Florida it was a sweat box. So, an air conditioner was added. With the wind up the boat could be almost unmanageable to dock. At cruise it burned 2 gal per mile. When my friend passed away his wife virtually had to give the boat away. For a dock condo it would serve very well.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #16
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Oh hell yes I would tell them. After all we are friends, and if they did end up buying it, I couldn't fake it forever.

I can easily look past physical ugliness in nature. But ugly boats are designed and built; not born.

Friends don't let friends buy ugly boats.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
KMA

City: Merritt Island
One man's queen is another man's sweathog.

Personally (YMMV), if it gets me from A to B safely, at a reasonable cost, and I can safely keep maintenance costs minimal, I don't give a damn what it looks like. I've been on some gorgeous boats that I'd not take out of the slip for fear of never getting back.

I ain't pretty, and my boat doesn't have to be, either.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I wouldn't tell them it was ugly - but I'd sure as hell point out how insanely dangerous it would be go forward on that boat with any kind of motion. I'd encourage them to think through operating in our conditions (rain and drizzle). And I'd ask them what they thought of a boat from the same builder that was 10 years older - because that's what their boat might look like 10 years down the road.

Keith
Old 10-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #19
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
And that Gulfstar...look at the way the transom door hangs up on the swim step. Look at the surprisingly low freeboard. Imagine launching that RIB. Some seriously poor thinking there.

Keith
Old 10-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #20
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Is your wife the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world??? To YOU she might be. And a lot of that beauty comes from what is on the inside. That Carver Mariner is an ugly boat. I do understand what Eric is getting at....it does have some sort of weird artistic value. But Mariners, in general, have always been the ugliest boats on the water. With that said, the entire boat flows very well. You can go from the cockpit up two steps to a sidewalk that gives you access to the fairly large fly ridge and you can keep on walking right up to the bow. Unfettered access to all parts of the outside of the boat. Not many boats can claim that. The interior is not bad either although a one couple boat. Anyway, I don't think I could own one. But I tell y ou what, my area is littered with these things. Probably because we had the number one Carver dealership in the country here for awhile. But they are EVERYWHERE!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote