Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Student project: your opinion please

Quote:
stonejd wrote:

Below is a link to a discussion of a successful saiboat-to-trawler conversion. Seems to have worked well for the owner. I was aboard the boat years ago. It was very nicely done.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/10/...ring/index.htm

Dan Stone
St. Pete, FL
Here is Mark Richter's blog for Winnie.* http://www.trawlerpooh.blogspot.com/

He is a professional at boat maintenance, and has a place on the Okeechobee Waterway.* I don't think that Winnie has the power to get up on plane.* It makes a great conversion at displacement speeds.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Student project: your opinion please

I believe it was the Fall 1996 issue of Passagemaker magazine that featured a boat named "Traveller", which was designed and built by a first time boat builder. My memory says he was an architect of the non-marine type. The hull was reminiscent of a sailboat, in that it was long and narrow, but fairly shallow draft. She was aluminum, multi-chined, with a wide, square bottomed keel that housed the engine at the lowest depths of the boat. I believe it was powered by a Lehman. She sported a fabulous all vertical windowed pilothouse. It was a veritable greenhouse. I'm thinking she was about 50' x 12'. She would be worth studying for your design project. You might find an archived copy of the magazine in your local library. I just disposed of my full collection of Passagemakers, or I'd offer to copy the article for you.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 26th of November 2010 06:32:14 PM

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Hey FF,

I've been thinking about that GulfStar,

Is that for real?** And is is even possible to make a displacement hull go that fast?* I mean,* wouldn't it have to be planing?*** That speed is several times the hull speed.* Any pictures to back up this claim?

I am skeptical at best.

Dan Pease

-- Edited by Capt Dan on Saturday 27th of November 2010 07:53:47 AM
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
FF wrote:

The really GREEN boat , like the really green house is an existing one.

If that's so, there's no reason to design a new boat.* And it seems like boating magazines use half their space selling boats.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

FF wrote:

The really GREEN boat , like the really green house is an existing one.
If that's so, there's no reason to design a new boat.* And it seems like boating magazines use half their space selling boats.

Believe it or not, I consider a steel boat as probably the most green out there.* They are virtually 100% recyclable.* They are usually efficient displacement hulls, and are probably built of mostly recycled steel.* Sure, an existing boat is green to some extent, but will ultimately end up in a scrap pile.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 27th of November 2010 07:40:33 AM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Believe it or not, I consider a steel boat as probably the most green out there.* They are virtually 100% recyclable.*...
Having a steel boat being built for me, I can't hardly disagree.* *
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I lusted after an aluminum Diesel Duck, and still kinda do, but happy with the Krogen. At the time I was looking there were no DD's on the market used. I'd have bought one in a heartbeat, steel or Al.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"Sure, an existing boat is green to some extent, but will ultimately end up in a scrap pile."

True but with really Quality GRP, the older boats like the Aero Marine Bounty's (41 bft Rhodes) built in the early 60's are still doing fine.

Perhaps another 50 years will tell.Basically the USCG concept is "if it don't flex , it lives 'forever'" .

The question is how much maint is required , and what skill level to keep the boat afloat.

Steel has the expense of rusting out mostly from the inside , so normal practice is a repaint every so often.

Modern epoxy coatings may make this less often , but at about 15 years many steel boats will remove the interior , and wiring , blast to water white and , then reinstall.

This is one reason some designers will use simple plate as stiffeners instead of T or L sections.

Loads easier to sand blast what you can easily see, if the boat is a keeper.

How long good aluminum boats will last is part wiring , and a good deal the qualiry of the dock wiring and every boat on the dock.

**Mark is in our development , so anyone taking advantage of our free dock O 'nite can ysually wrangle a visit.

"I've been thinking about that GulfStar,

Is that for real?** And is is even possible to make a displacement hull go that fast?* I mean,* wouldn't it have to be planing?** "

The add is in the FL Mariner , IF you wish I will provide the owners phone #.

Running on the surface can be done with ENOUGH! power , even with a rounded sail hull.
The efficiency will be poor , but the deep V Bertrams suck at "efficiency" compared to flatter bottomed boats , but the trade off (seaworthyness and sea kindlyness is considered worth it.

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 28th of November 2010 06:43:58 AM

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 28th of November 2010 06:48:37 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Here is a boat that would seem to fit the needs for power when needed and sail when possible. There is one of these in our marina, owned by the founder of the large Ford dealership. The owner's last name is Diehl, and his boat is named Diehler. Clever, yes.

The boat is a Bruckmann 50, made, I believe, in Canada. We walk by this boat every time we go to ours and have had a few conversations with the owner and his wife.* They seem extremely pleased with it, and they use it a lot. Their previous boat was a Santa Cruz 52, also named Diehler, a true heavy-duty racing sailboat. I suspect they wanted to continue to be able to sail in a fast, efficient boat but wanted a more comfortable boat to do it in and one that would work well under power.

I don't know if this could be considered a true motorsailor--- it seems to favor the sailing aspect more than most motorsailors--- but in the "does both" category of boats, this is the best, most effective example I've ever seen.* i don't know how much it costs but given the financial position of the owner of Diehler, I suspect the Buckmann 50 is not inexpensive.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 25th of November 2010 01:21:12 PM
Marin, when this site first opened there was a guy on here selling *Bruckmann 50. *I never knew they existed until he posted his on here for sale. *I am continuously intrigued by big roomy motorsailers. *Anyway, if you seach Bruckmann on here I am willing to bet you will dig up his thread....unless I deleted it.

Also, no such thing as a "heavy duty" Santa Cruz 52. *They are definitely "serious" racing boats, but heavy duty they are not. *"Heavy duty" and "serious racing" sailboats are generally inversely proportional.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Also, no such thing as a "heavy duty" Santa Cruz 52. *They are definitely "serious" racing boats, but heavy duty they are not. *"Heavy duty" and "serious racing" sailboats are generally inversely proportional.
John--- I meant "heavy duty" to mean "serious."* As in "Those are really heavy-duty wheels on your Ferrari, dude."* I didn't mean it as a description of the boat's construction, what the boat can take in terms* of big water, etc..* I don't know anything about the Santa Cruz 52 other than what I saw of the first Diehler every time we walked past it on the way to our boat.* I know the owner won* the Cadillac race around Vancouver Island several times with it. * "Serious" would have been a much better word to use but I didn't think of it in time.

There is no brand name on the new Diehler, just a small logo which looks more like a backwards "E" than a "B."* Neither Carey nor I could figure out what this boat was when it first appeared in our marina, and we hadn't seen the owner to ask him.* I think it was Carey who finally sleuthed it down to Bruckmann on the internet.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 28th of November 2010 02:01:07 PM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote