Stuck at Dock-fuel filter problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You gotta realize it is in the middle of boondocks up here in Manistee.

If the fuel polishing doesn't work, he might want to see if he can run the boat up to Charlevoix. Bergmann Marine has ABYC techs and should be able to troubleshoot the issue a little better than what he has gotten so far.
First the Flo Scans were taken out of system because of much extra 3/8" hose routing. That hose was removed to shorten the length from tank to Racor. The way the Flo Scans were installed ALL the fuel that fed the Racor went through the Flo Scan spin-on looking filter. That seems like a good enough reason to take the tank hose that went to F.S. & shorten to the Racor. Thats why I asked him to do that.

RB

The PS engines I have used and seen of similar HP have two engine mounted secondary filters. Does yours?

These Perkins Sabre M300TI have one secondary & 2 oil filters. I don't like that my 2008's have the two oil filters mounted upside down.
Had both fuel tanks cleaned & polished & what an intelligent move that was. Black specks & flakes in both & water in the stbd. Now my young captain friend had to leave because of all the delays & I'm in Manistee alone. Still checking what to do.

Sounds like the polishing was a good move Ricky. Stock up on primary and secondary filters and hit the water. Take a jug of clean diesel to make any filter changes quicker just in case.

Just read this string. Are you at Seng's marina in Manistee, or the municipal? I'm currently up the shore line at Frankfort with our boat and car. I'd be happy to drive down if you need a hand or any tools. And if you'd like an extra hand on the boat for a test leg on the way north, I'd be happy to ride with you up to Frankfort or as far as Leland. Also have a friend over at the Seng's marina on a 47 Bayliner who's probably sitting on his butt looking for something to do. I'm not specifically familiar with the Perkins, but do generally know my way around engines, boats...and this boating area. Fair amount of time single handing our 44 on Lake Michigan.

Last edited:
I'm at Muni. My wife is on way up from Detroit to get. Me. I am planning on coming back up in week or so with a filters that I ordered a few days ago. Also a manager at a boat club by me knows of a couple of people that can come back up with me & bring it home then. If I can figure out how to pm you I'll include my phone #. Thanks.

Yes it was. I have 2 gas jugs that are,1 gal each. Fuel polisher guy said I would probably need one more filter change out. I have secondarys being shipped to my house & Racor too.

I sent you a PM with my number about an hour ago. If you click on "private messages" on the upper right corner of the log-in page it will take you to the right place.

Last edited:
When you come up next week, bring an electric 5psi fuel pump, some wires with alligator clips, a squeeze bulb, extra hose, fittings, clamps. That way if it is your lift pump, you can rig the elec pump as an in line booster.

Also those filter cans on the flowscans are pulsation dampers, not filters. Looks like filters but there is no element inside.

Sounds like the polishing was a good move Ricky. Stock up on primary and secondary filters and hit the water. Take a jug of clean diesel to make any filter changes quicker just in case.

You got it Dave. I received my 8 secondaries today & have 10 Primaries on their way. I have 2 jugs a gallon each & plastic coffee cans with lids. Also I have a retired captain lined up to make the trip. Things are coming together. Take care.

Have my JD professionally maintained once a year which includes oil change, recommended maintenance and replacement of on-engine filters. I also replace Racor filter when the mood strikes, also about once a year. Engine is operated about 125 hours annually.

Last edited:
You got it Dave. I received my 8 secondaries today & have 10 Primaries on their way. I have 2 jugs a gallon each & plastic coffee cans with lids. Also I have a retired captain lined up to make the trip. Things are coming together. Take care.

That is great! Let us know how the trip goes, it should be fun (between changing filters). :dance:

That is great! Let us know how the trip goes, it should be fun (between changing filters). :dance:
Thanks dhays. It just gets more frustrating. I had a retired captain that agreed to make the trip with me in about 10 days from now. He texted this morning saying that now his health won't allow him the trip. I must keep plugging away. Take care & have a great weekend.

OK, so you changed the secondary once. Now that the engine has gone down again, what happens when you change the secondary again? Was the replacement secondary blocked? That could confirm bad fuel...

But if the new secondary isn't blocked, that could instead suggest there's something floating around in that one tank, and whatever that something is eventually finds it's way to the mouth of the pick-up tube.

IOW, I suspect it could be one of two conditions, maybe or maybe not both...

I think.

??

-Chris
I'm back home re-grouping outside of Detroit. I just received a bunch of Perkins secondarys & today I expect a bunch of Racor primaries to arrive. I'll know more in when I get back to the boat. Thanks

Ricky, I just spoke with spouse and the things we had scheduled over the next couple of weeks have slipped. I could make the trip with you if you like. Just need to figure a way to get back. PM, e-mail or call me if you want to discuss.

Ricky, I just spoke with spouse and the things we had scheduled over the next couple of weeks have slipped. I could make the trip with you if you like. Just need to figure a way to get back. PM, e-mail or call me if you want to discuss.

Sounds like a good option Ricky. Another pair of hands would be nice and frankly another skipper to lend assistance and moral support would make you feel better.

I pm'ed you.

Boat is finally home.

Got boat home last Thursday. Thanks to semi-planing with me & navigating we finished trip with many filter changes. I'm not sure if all were necessary because of how clean some looked. I agree with others that there may be some kind of "floater" in the tank. Too many times the engine would slow down & quit in about 2 seconds. If you let it sit a minute & prime lift pump it would start up & maybe go for hours. Must get into Stbd tank for sure. I inquired on Samsmarine.com & have heard from bottle caps to other things giving the same symptoms. Thanks to everyone that tried to supply ideas & especially semi-planing for making the trip possible!

Glad to hear you got her home. It definitely sounds like you got something floating around in that tank. Imo i would get some clear plastic barrels and pump the tank down. With any luck you will pick it up while pumping the tank out. You would be surprised how many blue plastic caps i have found wedged in oil cooler tubes and fuel lines.

Glad to hear you got her home. It definitely sounds like you got something floating around in that tank. Imo i would get some clear plastic barrels and pump the tank down. With any luck you will pick it up while pumping the tank out. You would be surprised how many blue plastic caps i have found wedged in oil cooler tubes and fuel lines.

The blue caps surprise me. I will do whatever it takes to be sure tanks are happy tanks. Thanks for post. Have great weekend.

Don't forget that the Racor 500s are likely too small a unit for your engines. I find 500s are popular on little gensets.

If you consider an upgrade read up on boatdiesel about 3 stage filtering.

Don't forget that the Racor 500s are likely too small a unit for your engines. I find 500s are popular on little gensets.

If you consider an upgrade read up on boatdiesel about 3 stage filtering.
Thank you sunchaser. I've been thinking that for a while. The crazy thing is at West Marine they want about $15-16.00 for the 500 series element. I saw the Racor 1000 series elements next to those for only $19.95. The 1000 series looks like they have 4 time the area for $4.00 more.
I bought my elements online at about 1/2 price of West Marine. Do you think the 1000 series with the tell-tale gauge would be a good choice? Thanks

I was thinking exactly that. Both 150 gal tanks are 3/4 full so that's over 100 gals to pump somewhere. The good things is it's all fresh fuel. I don't know what to come up with to store pumped fuel in. Thanks, Happy 4th of July.

Thank you sunchaser. I've been thinking that for a while. The crazy thing is at West Marine they want about $15-16.00 for the 500 series element. I saw the Racor 1000 series elements next to those for only $19.95. The 1000 series looks like they have 4 time the area for $4.00 more.
I bought my elements online at about 1/2 price of West Marine. Do you think the 1000 series with the tell-tale gauge would be a good choice? Thanks

1000s have 10 times or more the surface of the 500s. The 500s are rated to flow around 60/hr as I recall. But the have a relatively small surface area.

Look at the 900s.

I was thinking exactly that. Both 150 gal tanks are 3/4 full so that's over 100 gals to pump somewhere. The good things is it's all fresh fuel. I don't know what to come up with to store pumped fuel in. Thanks, Happy 4th of July.

Plastic barrels work good. Check Craigslist. You can find 250 gal plastic totes but they are more of a pain to move alone.

As Baker discovered "priming" and "removing/ bleeding air" are two different things. It is much easier using an electric priming pump rather than manual to bleed the air, but I don't think any diesel engine likes air on the fuel side.

1000s have 10 times or more the surface of the 500s. The 500s are rated to flow around 60/hr as I recall. But the have a relatively small surface area.

Look at the 900s.

God news! My engine has a maximum consumption of four gph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom