Old 06-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #101
Veteran Member

City: Grosse Ile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Sounds like the polishing was a good move Ricky. Stock up on primary and secondary filters and hit the water. Take a jug of clean diesel to make any filter changes quicker just in case.
You got it Dave. I received my 8 secondaries today & have 10 Primaries on their way. I have 2 jugs a gallon each & plastic coffee cans with lids. Also I have a retired captain lined up to make the trip. Things are coming together. Take care.

RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #102
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Have my JD professionally maintained once a year which includes oil change, recommended maintenance and replacement of on-engine filters. I also replace Racor filter when the mood strikes, also about once a year. Engine is operated about 125 hours annually.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #103
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
You got it Dave. I received my 8 secondaries today & have 10 Primaries on their way. I have 2 jugs a gallon each & plastic coffee cans with lids. Also I have a retired captain lined up to make the trip. Things are coming together. Take care.
That is great! Let us know how the trip goes, it should be fun (between changing filters).

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is great! Let us know how the trip goes, it should be fun (between changing filters).
Thanks dhays. It just gets more frustrating. I had a retired captain that agreed to make the trip with me in about 10 days from now. He texted this morning saying that now his health won't allow him the trip. I must keep plugging away. Take care & have a great weekend.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
OK, so you changed the secondary once. Now that the engine has gone down again, what happens when you change the secondary again? Was the replacement secondary blocked? That could confirm bad fuel...

But if the new secondary isn't blocked, that could instead suggest there's something floating around in that one tank, and whatever that something is eventually finds it's way to the mouth of the pick-up tube.

IOW, I suspect it could be one of two conditions, maybe or maybe not both...

I think.

??

-Chris
I'm back home re-grouping outside of Detroit. I just received a bunch of Perkins secondarys & today I expect a bunch of Racor primaries to arrive. I'll know more in when I get back to the boat. Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #106

Ricky, I just spoke with spouse and the things we had scheduled over the next couple of weeks have slipped. I could make the trip with you if you like. Just need to figure a way to get back. PM, e-mail or call me if you want to discuss.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Ricky, I just spoke with spouse and the things we had scheduled over the next couple of weeks have slipped. I could make the trip with you if you like. Just need to figure a way to get back. PM, e-mail or call me if you want to discuss.
Sounds like a good option Ricky. Another pair of hands would be nice and frankly another skipper to lend assistance and moral support would make you feel better.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
I pm'ed you.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Boat is finally home.

Got boat home last Thursday. Thanks to semi-planing with me & navigating we finished trip with many filter changes. I'm not sure if all were necessary because of how clean some looked. I agree with others that there may be some kind of "floater" in the tank. Too many times the engine would slow down & quit in about 2 seconds. If you let it sit a minute & prime lift pump it would start up & maybe go for hours. Must get into Stbd tank for sure. I inquired on Samsmarine.com & have heard from bottle caps to other things giving the same symptoms. Thanks to everyone that tried to supply ideas & especially semi-planing for making the trip possible!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #110
Guru

semi planing!

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #111

City: Biloxi,MS
Glad to hear you got her home. It definitely sounds like you got something floating around in that tank. Imo i would get some clear plastic barrels and pump the tank down. With any luck you will pick it up while pumping the tank out. You would be surprised how many blue plastic caps i have found wedged in oil cooler tubes and fuel lines.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
Glad to hear you got her home. It definitely sounds like you got something floating around in that tank. Imo i would get some clear plastic barrels and pump the tank down. With any luck you will pick it up while pumping the tank out. You would be surprised how many blue plastic caps i have found wedged in oil cooler tubes and fuel lines.
The blue caps surprise me. I will do whatever it takes to be sure tanks are happy tanks. Thanks for post. Have great weekend.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #113
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Don't forget that the Racor 500s are likely too small a unit for your engines. I find 500s are popular on little gensets.

If you consider an upgrade read up on boatdiesel about 3 stage filtering.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Don't forget that the Racor 500s are likely too small a unit for your engines. I find 500s are popular on little gensets.

If you consider an upgrade read up on boatdiesel about 3 stage filtering.
Thank you sunchaser. I've been thinking that for a while. The crazy thing is at West Marine they want about $15-16.00 for the 500 series element. I saw the Racor 1000 series elements next to those for only $19.95. The 1000 series looks like they have 4 time the area for $4.00 more.
I bought my elements online at about 1/2 price of West Marine. Do you think the 1000 series with the tell-tale gauge would be a good choice? Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
I was thinking exactly that. Both 150 gal tanks are 3/4 full so that's over 100 gals to pump somewhere. The good things is it's all fresh fuel. I don't know what to come up with to store pumped fuel in. Thanks, Happy 4th of July.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #116
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Thank you sunchaser. I've been thinking that for a while. The crazy thing is at West Marine they want about $15-16.00 for the 500 series element. I saw the Racor 1000 series elements next to those for only $19.95. The 1000 series looks like they have 4 time the area for $4.00 more.
I bought my elements online at about 1/2 price of West Marine. Do you think the 1000 series with the tell-tale gauge would be a good choice? Thanks
1000s have 10 times or more the surface of the 500s. The 500s are rated to flow around 60/hr as I recall. But the have a relatively small surface area.

Look at the 900s.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #117

City: Biloxi,MS
Quote:
I was thinking exactly that. Both 150 gal tanks are 3/4 full so that's over 100 gals to pump somewhere. The good things is it's all fresh fuel. I don't know what to come up with to store pumped fuel in. Thanks, Happy 4th of July.
Plastic barrels work good. Check Craigslist. You can find 250 gal plastic totes but they are more of a pain to move alone.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #118
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
As Baker discovered "priming" and "removing/ bleeding air" are two different things. It is much easier using an electric priming pump rather than manual to bleed the air, but I don't think any diesel engine likes air on the fuel side.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #119
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
1000s have 10 times or more the surface of the 500s. The 500s are rated to flow around 60/hr as I recall. But the have a relatively small surface area.

Look at the 900s.
God news! My engine has a maximum consumption of four gph.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
God news! My engine has a maximum consumption of four gph.
4 gals per hour is great.