Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #41
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I have a Perkins 4.236. Each tank has a 30 micron primary. Which both feed a 2 micron secondary. There is also another 2 micron secondary on the block.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #42

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Also change the on-engine filters when you change the Racor to eliminate filtering as an issue. Had a similar new to me boat problem, Racors were dirty but not filthy. On-engine filters were nasty.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #43

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Return line from the injector pump clogged? Can you confirm that both engines are dropping RPMs? Interested in what you find out.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Grosse Ile
Older diesel mechanic came out yesterday & completely removed/ bypass Flo Scan system because whoever installed it did poor job. He was thinking air leaks. Went out on sea trials with him h ran fine.
We left Muskegon this morn & after about 3 hrs running the port engine started acting up again. Slowed down & finally shut it down 30 mins & started up to dock in Manistee. ?? The mechanic's returning to us here. I'm about to go crazy.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #45

City: Biloxi,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
Older diesel mechanic came out yesterday & completely removed/ bypass Flo Scan system because whoever installed it did poor job. He was thinking air leaks. Went out on sea trials with him h ran fine.
We left Muskegon this morn & after about 3 hrs running the port engine started acting up again. Slowed down & finally shut it down 30 mins & started up to dock in Manistee. ?? The mechanic's returning to us here. I'm about to go crazy.
cat sells clear sight tube for t/s air in the fuel. if you can get your hands on one it would rule it out pretty fast. other things to check would be fuel transfer pump failing and double check the racors lids. i have seen a few guys get the lift tabs stuck under the lid seal.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #46
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
When I installed my Floscan system they were very insistent about greasing the seals on the Racors. I didn't think it mattered but was getting some really crazy readings on the port engine. next time I changed the Racors I did grease the seals and the readings are now rock steady. Never seemed to bother the FL but there was apparently air getting into the system.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #47
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
It's either air getting in, as in a really small air leak that takes time to accumulate enough air that the engine can't suck OR something clogging the filters after that time so no fuel is getting in.

Do you have dual racors? can you switch from one to the other while running?

With my racors on the Lehman, if I do not refill the filter housing to overflow, it has too much air.

Good luck and buy filters by the case.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #48
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
had similar symptoms once, even with new, clean filters. Turns out there was a clog in my tank pick-up tube, likely at the lower screen. A little shot of compressed air from the distribution valve back to the tank cleared it and has been good since..

I diagnosed it by switching tanks and finding the other feeding just fine..
Old 06-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #49

City: Biloxi,MS
156-1824 is glass and metal. cost is just over 200.
2P-8278 is clear plastic and costs about 40.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #50
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I am really sorry about the frustration, I know the feeling. Just know that it will get sorted out eventually and when it does you will have received an education on your boats systems.

At least that is what I tell myself when stuff like this happens.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #51
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Ricky- Did you change the secondary on the afflicted engine?
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Thank you for that info. It sounds like a smart idea. That might be why I've heard people says that Racor have a tendency to leak air. Who knows?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thank you. My concern/ worry now is that my friend, an 18 yr old captain graduate has limited time to finish the trip to Detroit. I don't feel confident enough to do it by myself. It just gets worse.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I went online & ordered 6 secondary fuel filters. The engines only have I each. That will be changed if this boat ever gets to Detroit. The mobile fuel polIshing guy will be here Monday about noon. I would appreciate any links to home made polishers. I here there's many different ones people make. The Mechanic thinks there's stuff in tank that's blocking tube after they run a bit.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #55
FF
Guru

"cat sells clear sight tube for t/s air in the fuel. if you can get your hands on one it would rule it out pretty fast.cat sells clear sight tube for t/s air in the fuel. if you can get your hands on one it would rule it out pretty fast."

Any refrigeration supply will have brass armored sight glass that will show bubbles in the fuel supply,

They can be had with a male and female on either side so are a snap to install.

I would rig a 6 gal fuel tank with a hand bulb to quickly install close to the engine.

This would help deciding if its a fuel feed problem , or an internal engine (injection pump?) problem.

Images for refrigeration armored sight glassReport images

More images for refrigeration armored sight glass

Dockside I would install the OB tank close to the fuel tank, and keep it pumprd and use paper ties at every fitting.

IF fuel can get out probably air can get in.

My big concern is why it takes 3 hours to have a problem.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #56
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You had one Perkins secondary filter on board. Did you change that onto the port engine before running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Ricky- Did you change the secondary on the afflicted engine?
Quote:
I went online & ordered 6 secondary fuel filters. The engines only have I each. That will be changed if this boat ever gets to Detroit.

I can't tell if this means that secondary filter has or has not been changed yet.... but if not, seems like not much use trying to further diagnose the issue until that change has happened.

Otherwise, it's just a scattergun approach to troubleshooting...

-Chris
Old 06-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #57
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
RickyB, sorry again for the headaches.

You need to find out what the problem is before you do a lot of expensive stuff.

If you have dirty fuel, then you Racors should be clogging up. If the bowls don't have water and the filters aren't too dirty, then it isn't dirty fuel. If it was me, I would run my Racors parallel and when the rpms start to drop would switch to the other Racor to see if that fixes the problem. I would also get one of these to put on the Racor that is the first to be used. It will tell you if your primary filter is clogging and it is relatively cheap and it is simple to just screw into the top of your Racor.
T-handle vacuum gauge

If you have dirty tanks then cleaning the tanks and polishing the fuel will help solve the problem. Once that is done, then you shouldnt need to worry about any type of on board polishing system.

I am sorry to be confused, but I am still not clear if the on engine secondary filters were changed.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #58

Does your Racor look like this? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465664859.423271.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	52994
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #59

The T-handle vacuum gauge is a good idea, but you may have to cut off 2 threads to make it fit your 500 series Racors. It's designed for the other models.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #60
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Does your Racor look like this? Attachment 52994
Asphaltine....I'm familiar with that!

Luckily I had a BIG filter upstream that caught most of the junk. Boat still ran great even with filters looking like that...This was how it was when I bought it (300 hours on the filters, but maybe 6 years). Changed all the filters and used a chemical additive to break up the Asphaltine. I suspect this is what clogged my intake tube but that didn't happen till well after the filter changes. Asphaltine was still being dispersed when that happened.