Old 05-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Offshore Trawlers

I'm looking for some feedback on the build quality and reputation of the Offshore Trawlers. In particular the early 2000's build. Any help is welcome. Yes, this time I'm looking for advice. LOL
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Do you mean this brand of Offshore?

Offshore Yachts - Fine Yachts since 1948.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #3

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Do you mean this brand of Offshore?

Offshore Yachts - Fine Yachts since 1948.
Yes. I’m not sure how the comparison to Fleming, Selene, Kady, etc.
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Offshore yachts are very different in design, power and builder's intent than a Selene, KK or Nordhavn. Offshore would compete with Fleming, Outer Reef or Ocean Alexander.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
They are really nice boats, and we looked seriously at them (and the others mentioned) in some detail. Quality is very high but Sunchaser is correct in his categorization, though Outer Reef is kind of tweener. I'd through the newer Grand Banks products into the mix.We liked the Offshores the most of that lot, though we haven't been on the newest GB which look really interesting.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #6

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I recently sold my Offshore 54 after owning it since 2011. It was a great boat and took me from San Diego to Guatemala and north to Alaska without a hiccup. In the almost 4000 hours that I put on her I was never once without power or in seas that left me feeling vulnerable. They also hold their value quite well if maintained properly.
Are they in the same class as Fleming? No, they do not have the same high level of finish but they are also less expensive on a direct model comparison. Buyers who want the highest level of joinery and finishes probably lean towards the more costly boats. For my purposes the Offshore was more that nice enough. Engine selection is an issue as they range from Detroits to Cummins to Cats, depending on model and age. Good luck with your quest to find the perfect boat. The hunt is a lot of fun!
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbraga View Post
I'm looking for some feedback on the build quality and reputation of the Offshore Trawlers. In particular the early 2000's build. Any help is welcome. Yes, this time I'm looking for advice. LOL
Does really matter what the build quality may or may not have been when looking at 20 year old Asian boats?? A better question would be how many different Asian boatyards built them or how many times the the original builder whored out the name? The listings are all over the place. Maybe you can sort it it out with a simple hull and engine survey. Remember... You can find the answer you want if you look long enough for it.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote