Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Strong Current + Bridge + Boat Video

Posted on Soundings recently:

"The skipper of a Princess V57 thought the yacht could clear the stone-arched Richmond Bridge on London’s Thames River."

Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
He should have turned it around and scraped the other side so at least it would be symmetrical.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
keb

City: Portland, OR
I feel for the guy. Being a boatless for now, newbie I can't help but feel bad for the guy. I plan to get as much training and instruction as possible before putting myself in that kind of situation ... Going down river with the current ... gee seems pretty easy if I don't have to turn ... Danger low bridge ... Think ahead ... Stop ... Back up ... Look at all those people watching ... Just gotta get this thing turned ... Oops ... Didn't back up quite enough ya think? .... Ouch that hurt .... Now what? ...

Painful to watch.

My worst nightmare is to be fodder for the internet judges. :-) The worst part is the comments from the video viewers. Haters of anyone with more money than them. No one knows the circumstances of the guy's training, physical condition, etc. poking fun at him is one thing and the stories he will have to tell in the pub ... but the haters because of the cost of the boat is something else. As hard as the video is to watch, the comments are much more disturbing.
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

City: Houston
Wow..

Did you see his audience?
Piratesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

City: New York
Vessel Name: BoomerangII
Vessel Model: Doral SC270
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
The worst part is the comments from the video viewers. Haters of anyone with more money than them. No one knows the circumstances of the guy's training, physical condition, etc. poking fun at him is one thing and the stories he will have to tell in the pub ... but the haters because of the cost of the boat is something else. As hard as the video is to watch, the comments are much more disturbing.
Not sure if there is pure hate there (YouTube posters) or just the enjoyment of witnessing someone's total incompetence. Poor planning, judgment, critical thinking skills,
boat handling, etc... Positive side, only boat damage and a bruised ego. I've seen other boaters loose their lives at the hand of another boater. Personally, this kind of angers me, boating is not a "hobby"; the bigger the boat, the greater the responsibility to know what the hell you are doing.
BoomerangIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerangIII View Post
Not sure if there is pure hate there (YouTube posters) or just the enjoyment of witnessing someone's total incompetence. Poor planning, judgment, critical thinking skills,
boat handling, etc... Positive side, only boat damage and a bruised ego. I've seen other boaters loose their lives at the hand of another boater. Personally, this kind of angers me, boating is not a "hobby"; the bigger the boat, the greater the responsibility to know what the hell you are doing.
Then what is it for the average boater?

Sure there's responsibility involved...there is with just about every sport/hobby...but if not a hobby, then what is it?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Then what is it for the average boater?

Sure there's responsibility involved...there is with just about every sport/hobby...but if not a hobby, then what is it?
Okay....then. Let's agree it's not a hobby you can take lightly. Hard to kill someone playing guitar, painting a flower, golf (although I've come close) ummmm, not gonna split hairs. While we're at it, what's the average boater? A non-liveaboard?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Eventually, the boat cleared the bridge in style ... s##t happens!

Part 2 ...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Of course. But no matter what, there are situations and combinations that are new, and only experience can teach you. It's a fine line some times that once crossed, it is amazing how fast the wheels can start coming off. I don't know what the guy in the video's total situation was, so I am certainly not going to throw stones. There but for fortune....

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Guru

Like I heard for 20+ years.....reset the simulator and see how well the critic does in that situation....
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
I wonder if Galaxy Girl has seen this...............
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Like I heard for 20+ years.....reset the simulator and see how well the critic does in that situation....
If you read my post, I shook off the video as well. What I was apparently too passionate about was the six to seven hundred boating fatalities every year. Many of which due to operator error. That's all. I've been to two, both were horrific and easily avoidable. That's why I feel boating is a tad more than a hobby. I see my error now, I'll wait until a boating fatality video is posted to comment as to not offend anyone.

PS George. Agreed with ya 100%
Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
That is painful to watch...
Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
If you read my post, I shook off the video as well. What I was apparently too passionate about was the six to seven hundred boating fatalities every year. Many of which due to operator error. That's all. I've been to two, both were horrific and easily avoidable. That's why I feel boating is a tad more than a hobby. I see my error now, I'll wait until a boating fatality video is posted to comment as to not offend anyone.

PS George. Agreed with ya 100%
Boating fatality stats for 2012....
Total deaths - 651
Vessels over 26 feet - 47
Vessels over 40 feet - 11
Vessels over 65 feet - 0

injuries follow a similar curve as you go up....
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #15

Costa Concordia
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Boating (esp sailing) is an endeavour which has a very steep learning curve. I suspect there are many who have (or had) an interest, but because of one or more embarassing or dangerous situations, either quit or rarely venture out of the slip. The video provides a "free" situational lesson which most would not have encountered otherwise.

Another interesting video of a near grounding.

http://youtu.be/44QjXCvFbI0
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
What I was apparently too passionate about was the six to seven hundred boating fatalities every year.
Also some in the air, and many on the roads. Apparently 1/3 of US drivers do not use blinkers. Improving driver's education would save much more than seven hundred lives a year ... wanna try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinghyDog View Post
The video provides a "free" situational lesson which most would not have encountered otherwise.
That is how I took it. After unfortunate chain of events and possibly bad decisions, the captain got the boat out of predicament, and executed the passing perfectly on the second attempt.

Still trying to analyze how he eventually unglued the boat from that bridge in part two of the video. There was some good maneuver there (or good luck?).
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Also some in the air, and many on the roads. Apparently 1/3 of US drivers do not use blinkers. Improving driver's education would save much more than seven hundred lives a year ... wanna try?
Okay, I'll bite. Do I wanna try what.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #19

Improving driver's education ... more bang for your buck, so to speak.
BTW, not meant to start any flame war ... peace ...
Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #20

Gotcha Richard. Totally agree. Some posters think I was angry at this video. Not the case; I brushed it off. Hell, none of us know what got him in that situation in the first place. I may have jumped the gun as well. Maybe he had an engine stall up river...who the hell knows. I was just thinking about what can and does happen on the water and the certain cavalier attitude some boaters have. My experience was responding to a 40' cruiser vs 16' alum. weekend fisher. First vessel for the 40' with absolutely no training. Throttled up, bow rise, didn't see the 16' with two brothers fishing. Don't mean to ramble just agreeing that it can turn ugly in a heartbeat, especially in a strong tide. Many great people on here with loads of great info. Nothing wrong with a respectable debate right?