Strange looking rudder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
So I am looking through Yachtworld at Island Gypsies... and I see a 1986 32 footer that looks nice.....and I see the picture below ?? It looks like the trailing edge of the rudder is bent 90 degrees !?!?! Is that possible ? Am I not seeing it right ? Has anyone seen this before ?

Here is a link to the ad:

1986 Island Gypsy Sedan Trawler (Hull #58) Power Boat For Sale -

Attachments

• IGRudder.jpg
    IGRudder.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 101
but isn't resistance bad for speed and fuel consumption ? ...and this seems like it would make the boat pull to one side.??

( and thanks for responding )

Try googling fishtail or Schilling rudders for more refined examples.

We had a similar feature on our last boat's rudder. The previous owner had added it for better slow speed control, and it apparently helped quite a bit.

Libra has one of these rudders. It expect it takes a bit to get 65 tons to start to rotate and this thing is up to it. Quite helpful.

Attachments

• Libra rudder 2.jpg
    Libra rudder 2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 74
  • Libra rudder.jpg
    Libra rudder.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 78
Propeller walk with my unbent rudder requires a three-degree rudder to port to maintain a straight course. Perhaps your bent rudder compensates for that.

When the rudder is too small for good low speed handling a T installed on the end helps a great deal.

Some will use a diamond shape created from 2 90deg sections of angle iron bolted on.

Thanks everyone. I had thought the rudder was not symetrical, and was like a backwards capital letter L ( with a very small bottom piece ) but it must be a fisht tail shape that just doesn't show up well in the photo. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom