Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Last summer, Jones Island, San Juans...

Two boats rafted to a 36' sailboat on one 19# Danforth, iffy bottom there.
Wind came in from the north at night, they drug onto the rocks at 4 AM, tide went out. Tide kept going out, I took the pic that morning.

Was a group of friends, relatively new to boating, only a few months experience on the Sound. They were not happy, esp the gals, they were on the beach that morning, really distraught. No cell service, they couldn't commiserate electronically, had to do it person to person.

Just not as many zeros involved in the damage as the Bahamas issue, nobody hurt except in the wallet.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
They were not happy, esp the gals, they were on the beach that morning, really distraught. No cell service, they couldn't commiserate electronically, had to do it person to person
For some people who are attached by an umbilical cord to their phones, being unable to make calls could be worse than the damage to the boats.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The owners/operators of Kya, the boat that the big boats dragged into, are friends of ours. They are about to be hauled for repairs. What a giant hassle, and fortunate nobody was hurt. One of the big boats has actually had the balls to suggest Kya was at fault. I guess the best defense is an aggressive offense.

I wrote about the same type of indecent that happened to us in the Gulf Islands a few years ago, we got drug down upon in about 20kts of wind by a twin screw 52' Nordic tug late on a afternoon while the skipper was taking a nap. They were about 300yds upwind of us before I went into the ER to do a fluids check.

I felt a good "bump" about the time a guest we had onboard opened the ER door to let me know a boat was getting close.. Luckily their dinghy had been tied across their transom and it took the brunt of the impact and the damage. Our big bruce and big all chain rode ended up holding BOTH boats but it was obvious our chain was scraping one of their props so a quick untanglement wasn't going to happen.

The skipper was obviously dazed when after calling them on our very loud hailer for what seemed like 5 minutes finally came to the stern and asked "why we had ran into them"!. It took me getting aboard the other yacht and the Admirals deft seamanship using our boat to push them forward and about 15 minutes to get us separated. The other party never even said thanks or asked about the damages to our brand new paint job.. they scooted at first light the next am. This isn't the first time I have seen someone blame someone else for their own screw up due to being embarrassed.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Same here Hollywood...

Last year in Wrightsville Beach, NC I got TBoned by a sailboat at 0230.

I had been anchored there for 5 days, they came in around dusk that evening.

They bumped me once, then again hard enough to gash my gel.

I asked them to move...the little old lady started to give a lecture on winds, tides, the dangers of moving and how they have never drug anchor.....till I interrupted her with the "first hit is free, second brings the USCG" reply lecture.

After a few minutes, you could see this Cape Dory 30 motorsailer was sailing a giant triangle with my boat as one point. They elected to stay anchored but ran the engine till daybreak and back down when close to me.

Gone at daybreak without a peep.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Surprised I did find something of interest.
Looks like the anchor rode on a sizable boat is attached to the bow at the WL. Do they decrease scope doing that? Wonder how they retrieve the rode and anchor?
I recall seeing most of the fishing fleet in northern China (70-100ft) all equipped with those rings. But I can't see how it would be convenient to use - you would need a dinghy to set and remove. So no big advantage really. Plus who wants two holes going through the hull that close to the waterline?
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I recall seeing most of the fishing fleet in northern China (70-100ft) all equipped with those rings. But I can't see how it would be convenient to use - you would need a dinghy to set and remove. So no big advantage really. Plus who wants two holes going through the hull that close to the waterline?
Not at all. The stored line goes from the ring to a connection point on the bow. When you have set the anchor you connect the line to the chain at the bow and pay out until it takes the strain at the waterline or below. When recovering the anchor you bring it back to the bow, disconnect the snubber line and clip it to a bow point, then retrieve the rest of the anchor.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #27
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I interrupted her with the "first hit is free, second brings the USCG"
Oh, that's good! I hope we never need to use it but planning to keep that one in mind.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohnEasley View Post
Oh, that's good! I hope we never need to use it but planning to keep that one in mind.
I've never been in a real fight in my life but long ago one afternoon a drunk man I was telling to leave decided to take a swing. I easily blocked it, perhaps partly due to his state and partly due to the fact I was 8 or 10" taller than him. However, I did state to him, "That was your one and only free shot." I knew though that even had he swung again, I wouldn't have hit him back. I then told him I was going to call the police and it was his choice whether to be there when they arrived or not. He left quickly.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
On a sailing charter in the BVI, anchored in Great Harbour, Peter Island we were awakened by commotion at around midnight. There was a 150'+ yacht anchored at the outer limit of the bay. The winds that had been blowing out of the bay for days had dropped in the afternoon and after dark turned 180°, so were now blowing in. the tenders from the big guy were systematically waking the boaters downwind of them to advise all to move, as "we are dragging and it will take us a while to get under way".
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #30
Guru

City: Vermont
Why does it take a while to at least get and engine started and in gear to take some of the wind load?
Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Abbotsford BC
Some food for thought in this video:

Whenever Jules and Susan drop anchor, they take photos of the anchorage, the boats all around, and photos of their instruments (chartplotter, radar, AIS) showing their boat's position, the positions of other boats, the time, date, state of tide and whatever other information they can record.

Seems like a very good idea.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Why does it take a while to at least get and engine started and in gear to take some of the wind load?
For a boat that length, it doesn't take long to start the engines, but it does take a while to make any headway into the wind without at the same time sliding toward the other boats as while the bow is directed into the wind, the stern is going to swing toward the other boats. Will require combination of engines and thrusters to counter the inertia from the wind. Also, an anchor to be raised.

Not excusing any of their actions and no idea how long "a while" turned out to be, but warning others sounds like the first wise thing they did the entire time.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #33
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
For a boat that length, it doesn't take long to start the engines, but it does take a while to make any headway into the wind without at the same time sliding toward the other boats as while the bow is directed into the wind, the stern is going to swing toward the other boats. Will require combination of engines and thrusters to counter the inertia from the wind. Also, an anchor to be raised.

Not excusing any of their actions and no idea how long "a while" turned out to be, but warning others sounds like the first wise thing they did the entire time.

What I’m envisioning is a boat at anchor, dragging, but not yet entangled with any other boat. In other words I’m presuming the boats realized they were dragging before they smashed into Kya.

In that situation it seems that an engine started and placed in gear will provide enough thrust, and in the right direction, to relieve enough tension on the anchor to stop dragging. You would need enough rudder to keep the boat pointed into the wind, but it seems thrusters would be a bonus and not required.

And I don’t understand why having tenders out would stop you from doing the same.

Once entangled, it’s a whole other story, but according to the account, the yacht crew were up and busy messing with tenders before they came down on Kya.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
What I’m envisioning is a boat at anchor, dragging, but not yet entangled with any other boat. In other words I’m presuming the boats realized they were dragging before they smashed into Kya.

In that situation it seems that an engine started and placed in gear will provide enough thrust, and in the right direction, to relieve enough tension on the anchor to stop dragging. You would need enough rudder to keep the boat pointed into the wind, but it seems thrusters would be a bonus and not required.

And I don’t understand why having tenders out would stop you from doing the same.

Once entangled, it’s a whole other story, but according to the account, the yacht crew were up and busy messing with tenders before they came down on Kya.
I also don't know how much anchor scope they had out or how shallow the waters were. Just know it's a long way from the bow to the stern and in a strong wind getting the boat moving the way desired can be a challenge. Now, no challenge they shouldn't have been capable of handling. Often on a boat that size, the expedient thing isn't trying to reset the anchor, but it's moving out of there.

Now, as to the tenders, I know what was likely happening in their minds although I disagree with their thought processes. They were likely thinking of avoiding damage to them, while they should have just let the tenders come along for the ride as they were and thought about avoiding damage to other boats and to their main boat.

Now, I wasn't there on any of those boats, but what I picture is everyone asleep, aware of issue too late, not thinking their best having just been waked and a bit of anxiety and panic taking over rather than calm, collected judgement. Perhaps then reacting by doing the wrong things or delaying or focusing on the wrong things. I can picture, "Omg, the tender is out" hitting before "Omg, we're going to crush those other boats."
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #35
Guru

Wifey B: This thread is a good endorsement for marinas.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #36
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Last 3 out of 4 times I have been hit was in marinas.

I sniff out the hazards better or at least have options in anchorages.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #37
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
[QUOTE=BandB;771810]
Now, as to the tenders, I know what was likely happening in their minds although I disagree with their thought processes. They were likely thinking of avoiding damage to them, while they should have just let the tenders come along for the ride as they were and thought about avoiding damage to other boats and to their main boat.
[QUOTE]

This sounds very likely, there were caught by surprise and became fixated on the tenders and never grasped the full situation to prioritize their actions.

It's easier to identify the best response in hindsight but using the mains to reduce the load on the anchor would have been the best option, with a lower load on the rode the anchor may have reset or at least provided enough resistance to keep the bow into the wind such that the engine thrust would have been in the correct direction. The prop wash coming off of the mains would have also driven the tenders away from the hull of the big boats and mitigated some damage (or flipped them). I would not be surprised if there was a standing policy on the boat to not engage the mains while crew were on the stern in foul weather particular while handling tenders but I think they lost sight of the forest for sake of the trees.

Sound very fortunate that no one was killed or injured.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #38
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: This thread is a good endorsement for marinas.
I hear you, but...some people have no business being responsible for operating a boat. Other than at weekend launch ramps, those people tend to congregate most at marinas.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #39
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Scott

I agree I have had my boat damaged by others quite a bit more at a dock than anchored. I had a Bahamas fishing that had just had its bottom tarred pass to close to my bow and it’s keel picked up my white anchor rode, the boat stared pulling me into it until I yelled. He stopped and I retrieved my anchor and it never got in his prop but my rode was no longer whitr
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #40
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
My guess is somebody was on watch in ONE of the super yachts, but not both, and that person was obviously not competent to see the developing situation on radar as the storm approached.

I was anchored off Fort Jefferson with twenty other vessels one morning in 2009 when I began to get snippets over the VHF weax channel (who says you cannot get VHF reception out there) of lightning and tornadoes in the Tampa area. It being a pretty unprotected anchorage, I was a bit antsy with all those other vessels about. Finally, about noon, I was hailed by a passing friend who I had not realized was within a thousand miles. When I told him my concerns, he mentioned that he had a satellite weather system aboard his vessel. We immediately repaired aboard his boat where I viewed a very ferocious looking arc of weather roaring down the Florida peninsula.

As soon as I could retrieve the admiral from ashore we were underway for Key West at best speed arriving at the US Navy Marina at Boca Chica after dark tying up our last line just as a tremendous crack of lightning broke above us. A sailing vessel whose operator I had assisted in laying out a second anchor the morning I discovered the weather problem arrived the following afternoon and profusely thanked me for my assistance as he described the carnage of many boats run aground.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote