Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Storm alert

The weather system which is off the east coast of Florida is expected to turn up and travel up the east coast of the U.S. within the next several days. It should be a tropical storm at a minimum, and possibly turn into a hurricane. Those of you in that stretch from Florida up to the North Carolina outer banks are probably going to be affected, so may want to keep an eye on it. I use the National Hurricane Center website, but of course there are also other good sources.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Tropical Depression ONE Public Advisory

Tropical Depression ONE

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
I can finally turn off my sprinklers.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It now has a name. Arthur. My sister and her husband have a trawler at Wilmingon, N.C., so they are getting ready for a blow.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
NHC-TPC showing Cat 1 over Outer Banks in 48 hours or less. Things are going to get crazy quickly.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
The waters fairly warm this could grow fast. Hopefully it will head East looking at a front that is coming through the Atlantic City area this Thursday. Then again if the front moves off shore quickly the storm could stay close to the coast.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
NHC-TPC showing Cat 1 over Outer Banks in 48 hours or less. Things are going to get crazy quickly.
Yup. Almost certainly going to affect that whole ICW from Florida up to N.C. If there are some newbies lollygagging along there who have never rode out a storm, then they are going to live in interesting times, more than likely. :-)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
The weather system which is off the east coast of Florida is expected to turn up and travel up the east coast of the U.S. within the next several days. It should be a tropical storm at a minimum, and possibly turn into a hurricane. Those of you in that stretch from Florida up to the North Carolina outer banks are probably going to be affected, so may want to keep an eye on it. I use the National Hurricane Center website, but of course there are also other good sources.
If anybody needs a good anchorage or hurricane hole in SC, just let me know.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Yup. Almost certainly going to affect that whole ICW from Florida up to N.C. If there are some newbies lollygagging along there who have never rode out a storm, then they are going to live in interesting times, more than likely. :-)
That would be us (at least in trawler circles). We got as far as Thunderbolt, GA on our way up from Palm Coast and stopped at Hinkley's to have some unusual vibration checked out. The boat was on the hard . . . it needs a bottom job anyway . . . a tropical storm is forecast to run up the coast. It was kind of a no-brainer to leave her safe and sound on the hard. We're driving through Macon on our way home as I write. Hope everyone else fairs well over the next few days.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
That would be us (at least in trawler circles). The boat was on the hard . . . it needs a bottom job anyway . . . a tropical storm is forecast to run up the coast. It was kind of a no-brainer to leave her safe and sound on the hard.
On the hard is good. Should not be any problem for you.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

OK. For newbies who have not rode out a storm on the ICW before. The locals are your best bet for advice. They know the best creeks to hide in. Take down all canvas from your boat. Keep up with weather minute by minute -- things change awfully fast. Should you hunker down in a marina? Hard to say -- sometimes more damage is done by boats that break loose than by the storm itself. Personally, I get out of marinas in a storm. But that is just me. If you do get out, then find a hole and throw out every anchor that you have -- even the little bitty ones. The wind will always come from a direction which you did not expect. And last -- but not least -- do not panic. Panic is what kills people. Most boats can take a storm.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
On the hard is only good if the marina is set up for it with concrete and tiedown anchor points.

The damaged boats at my marina were 3 on land where the receding water undermined the hull supports and they toppled over....50 feet away...boats road it out on pilings forward and sterns to a floater with no damage.

Often it's better to be out of the path than on the hard near the coastal landfall.

For a Cat 1 and most Cat II's, usually 15-20 miles inland, up some river is pretty good. As long as there is enough terrain and trees around to minimize wind and any waves and if you can find a place to tie up or anchor that still allows for ten feet of surge or so.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Classic pre-storm pucker factor coming on here in Cape Fear region. Dang I've got a lot of work to do. These things always stress me out.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
On the hard is only good if the marina is set up for it with concrete and tiedown anchor points.

The damaged boats at my marina were 3 on land where the receding water undermined the hull supports and they toppled over....50 feet away...boats road it out on pilings forward and sterns to a floater with no damage.

Often it's better to be out of the path than on the hard near the coastal landfall.

For a Cat 1 and most Cat II's, usually 15-20 miles inland, up some river is pretty good. As long as there is enough terrain and trees around to minimize wind and any waves and if you can find a place to tie up or anchor that still allows for ten feet of surge or so.

Very true - many people think because they are on the hard that all is good
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Very true - many people think because they are on the hard that all is good
Yep... unless nobody's on board when it floats... we came close in Sandy.

Dave
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Classic pre-storm pucker factor coming on here in Cape Fear region. Dang I've got a lot of work to do. These things always stress me out.
Are you staying put, moving or hauling?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
That would be us (at least in trawler circles). We got as far as Thunderbolt, GA on our way up from Palm Coast and stopped at Hinkley's to have some unusual vibration checked out. The boat was on the hard . . . it needs a bottom job anyway . . . a tropical storm is forecast to run up the coast. It was kind of a no-brainer to leave her safe and sound on the hard. We're driving through Macon on our way home as I write. Hope everyone else fairs well over the next few days.
My boat, Osprey just had her bottom done at Hinkley's in Thunderbolt good job fair price. My only complaint was the boot stripe needed paint, from age or the power washing prep, not sure it was dirty when I left... When I got back 7 days later she was floating, and the was told I didn't ask to have the boot stripe painted so why should Hinkley care, I was offered to pay full price to have her re hauled and to the boot stripe (looks like Sh!t) painted?

I would of happily paid if I was called asked when she was hauled. Amy was nice the boss was a used car sales person..

Good luck with the storm be safe!
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Are you staying put, moving or hauling?
Staying put. I'm in a narrow creek off the ICW, fairly sheltered. Tie off between the banks. Probably ok to cat3.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Staying put. I'm in a narrow creek off the ICW, fairly sheltered. Tie off between the banks. Probably ok to cat3.
Nice set up. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #20
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Arthur is a strong name... May be a strong storm; be careful and good luck ~ Art!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote