Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #41
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
7. Boat stacks adjacent to slip. Loose items risk. Also hate to have a Carolina Skiff blown off a rack into my boat.
Wife picked up car from regular marina, said that skiffs and Grady Whites still on top rack. As we upgrade to Cat-2. Sure am glad I moved boat.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #42
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Ron good luck to you and your wife. This named storm came on quickly.
Bill
Thanks Bill.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #43
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's why my wife convinced me to do our cruise in the spring, not the fall. No chance of hurricanes.

We were nearing Belhaven, NC and our first two choices of marinas would not take any boats. One would not even answer the phone.

So we're in the River Forest boatyard, not the marina. It's on a sheltered creek and they're going to tie us to both sides tonight. They charge extra for storm dockage. A lot extra. I should have stayed in Norfolk.
Best to you, Ron.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #44
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,178
Geeze, Ron! Hope you can stay in touch through the weather. A heck of a time to be caught in the Carolinas, but hopefully your wise selection will make it less of an ordeal.
__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #45
KJ
El Capitan
 
KJ's Avatar
 
City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 896
Pretty wild day here in North Myrtle Beach.

Getting slammed with on/off torrential rain, but not that much wind, yet. Occasional strong blast but nothing steady, yet. Arthur's eye is about 90 miles east of us.

It's days like this when you find out how dry your boat is (or isnít). KJ

Morning sky. The quiet before the storm.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #46
KJ
El Capitan
 
KJ's Avatar
 
City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 896
Really getting slammed now, very strong winds! KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #47
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Storm alert

On and off torrential rain here in Wilmington. Finding micro leaks in the boat cabin top, so it is a process of discovery... The wind is not bad. It looks to be about 15 to 20 kn.
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
On and off torrential rain here in Wilmington. Finding micro leaks in the boat cabin top, so it is a process of discovery... The wind is not bad. It looks to be about 15 to 20 kn.
The silver lining in the dark cloud, huh? Finding leaks. :-)

I suspect the wind is a tad more than 15 to 20 knots by now -- sure am glad you moved that boat up the river. The idea of a Carolina Skiff sailing through the air and crashing down on top is scary! And very much a possibility, too, if they left them in the stacks. Gonna be a lot of people tomorrow wishing that they had done the same as you did, more than likely. And a passing thought for Ski -- fingers tightly crossed for him.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #49
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
I'm behind the shop building with four lines to the dock, two lines to concrete hurricane ties and two heavy lines across the canal to a large tree.

It hasn't started raining here yet and not much wind back here but it was pretty windy on the other side of the peninsula a couple hours ago.

All I can do now is wait it out. I might have to adjust the lines if the water rises high enough and of course it will be raining and dark.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

All I can do now is wait it out. I might have to adjust the lines if the water rises high enough and of course it will be raining and dark.
Fun City! Adjusting lines in the dark/wind/rain is some fun, but it is not a lot of fun! Gonna be a long night for you, Ron. May be the time for the English Navy's remedy for sailors (a good shot of rum)! Good luck, and hope you check in tomorrow and say that all is well.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #51
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Sounds like you are snugged in pretty good, Ron. Are you on Pantego Creek?

Best to you. We will be checking in to see how you are doing.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #52
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Sounds like you are snugged in pretty good, Ron. Are you on Pantego Creek?.
We are at The River Forest boat yard on the other side of a peninsula from their marina. On my Garmin chart it looks like Tooleys Creek. The owner rode over there with me and I'll have to use my bread crumb track to get back out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #53
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Fun City! Adjusting lines in the dark/wind/rain is some fun, but it is not a lot of fun! Gonna be a long night for you, Ron. May be the time for the English Navy's remedy for sailors (a good shot of rum)! Good luck, and hope you check in tomorrow and say that all is well.
I would really like that shot of rum (or scotch, my drink of choice). Unfortunately, it appears that I crammed my lifetime allotment of alcohol into less than my lifetime and have been ordered by my doctors never to drink again.

A couple of people have suggested that I find new doctors but I can live without it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would really like that shot of rum (or scotch, my drink of choice). Unfortunately, it appears that I crammed my lifetime allotment of alcohol into less than my lifetime and have been ordered by my doctors never to drink again.
Yeah, my doctor worries about my liver. So I am well familiar with the issue. I've tried non-alcoholic stuff, and it just does not do it. Have tried yoga meditation, and that doesn't do it either. So . . . a joke for you, while you sit there waiting. Guy goes to the doctor. Says "Doctor, I want to live for a long, long time." Doctor says, "OK, quit drinking." Guy says "Will that make me live for a long, long time?" Doctor says, "No, but it sure as hell will feel like it!"
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #55
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
The silver lining in the dark cloud, huh? Finding leaks. :-)

I suspect the wind is a tad more than 15 to 20 knots by now -- sure am glad you moved that boat up the river. The idea of a Carolina Skiff sailing through the air and crashing down on top is scary! And very much a possibility, too, if they left them in the stacks. Gonna be a lot of people tomorrow wishing that they had done the same as you did, more than likely. And a passing thought for Ski -- fingers tightly crossed for him.
Up some river at water level the winds might be pretty low...my hurricane hole for the northerly component winds of Sandy was near dead calm.....hardly ripples on the water.

Above the terrain and tree tops...it was steady over 60 gusting higher according to Atlantic City Airport only a few miles away.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #56
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,882
Ron- the creek behind RF boatyard should be a good place to hide. Been there before. Just be mindful that the wind driven tide there can swing a lot. Not a surge like you get on the coast, but the water can really move.

Not too bad on the wrightsville beach coast, eye just to the SE. Everything riding ok for now.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #57
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Yeah, my doctor worries about my liver. So I am well familiar with the issue. I've tried non-alcoholic stuff, and it just does not do it. Have tried yoga meditation, and that doesn't do it either. So . . . a joke for you, while you sit there waiting. Guy goes to the doctor. Says "Doctor, I want to live for a long, long time." Doctor says, "OK, quit drinking." Guy says "Will that make me live for a long, long time?" Doctor says, "No, but it sure as hell will feel like it!"
True story:

After over a week in the hospital for pancreatitis, being fed by tubes, and being told that I was an alcoholic, the doctor comes in, looks at my chart and says "You're getting better, I think we can start you on clear liquids."

Smart ass Ron, without even hesitating says "You mean like Vodka and Gin?"

Well, the doctor turned on his heels, walked out the door and came back with two more doctors who proceeded to lecture me on the evils of alcohol. Doctors have no sense of humor.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #58
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Boat all battened down. I live in the middle of Wilmington about 5 miles from the river. Not bad. Wind and rain but not dangerous. Checking boat later tonight.
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #59
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,882
Ben- Pay mind to the "backside" of the storm, the west winds can be stronger than the E and NE we are getting now.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #60
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

True story:

After over a week in the hospital for pancreatitis, being fed by tubes, and being told that I was an alcoholic, the doctor comes in, looks at my chart and says "You're getting better, I think we can start you on clear liquids."

Smart ass Ron, without even hesitating says "You mean like Vodka and Gin?"

Well, the doctor turned on his heels, walked out the door and came back with two more doctors who proceeded to lecture me on the evils of alcohol. Doctors have no sense of humor.
Now that's news I can use.
Thanks
__________________

__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012