Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Here in Stuart, FL, we've got a pretty high tide up the river here but outside of a few minor showers is apparently too far off the coast. They were calling for 35 MPH winds this afternoon, but.... Happy to see it going by, but feel for youz up there in the Carolinas.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #22
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
The majority of the damage from Sandy to my old Mainship was not from floating off the stands it was from the crane used to remove the majority of boats that were piled on and around my boat. My marina was one of the many locations Sandy deposited 2 huge surges. Not a drop of damage from water inside the vessel it was all cosmetic and minor.
My Gulfstar is currently on the hard in a fairly protected marina off the Middle River in Maryland. It's looking like the marina won't be done with it's work orders until next week so re-launch won't be until after whatever comes up the coast. Or in this case the Upper Chesapeake.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #23
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Staying put. I'm in a narrow creek off the ICW, fairly sheltered. Tie off between the banks. Probably ok to cat3.
I'm down at Inlet Watch (Carolina Beach Inlet). Deep in the marina, well-sheltered. Bimini coming down today. need to set my 3x100 foot hurricane lines on top of regular lines. Probably disconnect electric. Boats around me could be an issue, but basin surrounded by condos. Flying debris a concern.

High tide predicted. Ugh. May stay aboard to guard from debris and other boats. Dang. Last hurricane experienced was Irene, deep up the Neuse River past New Bern. A boat in Oriental was holed as surge receded and dropped her on a piling.

Good luck.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
That would be us (at least in trawler circles). We got as far as Thunderbolt, GA on our way up from Palm Coast and stopped at Hinkley's to have some unusual vibration checked out. The boat was on the hard . . . it needs a bottom job anyway . . . a tropical storm is forecast to run up the coast. It was kind of a no-brainer to leave her safe and sound on the hard. We're driving through Macon on our way home as I write. Hope everyone else fairs well over the next few days.
Ian, that area is pretty sheltered from a direct hit with a hurricane. That part of the Georgia coast is so recessed from the normal storm tracks that it would take a fluke for a direct hit. At Hilton Head, I would always have my boat hauled to high ground upon a storm warning. It, thankfully, always brushed by offshore.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodder View Post
My boat, Osprey just had her bottom done at Hinkley's in Thunderbolt good job fair price. My only complaint was the boot stripe needed paint, from age or the power washing prep, not sure it was dirty when I left... When I got back 7 days later she was floating, and the was told I didn't ask to have the boot stripe painted so why should Hinkley care, I was offered to pay full price to have her re hauled and to the boot stripe (looks like Sh!t) painted?

I would of happily paid if I was called asked when she was hauled. Amy was nice the boss was a used car sales person..

Good luck with the storm be safe!
Really appreciate the info. I'll talk to them about the boot stripes. Amy and the work crew are great. I looked closely at the boot stripes they did on other boats and they looked perfect. Sorry to hear they skipped over yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ian, that area is pretty sheltered from a direct hit with a hurricane. That part of the Georgia coast is so recessed from the normal storm tracks that it would take a fluke for a direct hit. At Hilton Head, I would always have my boat hauled to high ground upon a storm warning. It, thankfully, always brushed by offshore.
Thanks, Don. That's exactly what the predictions are showing. Right now, they're looking for no more than 25 mph gusts in the Thunderbolt area. I'm watching for the NE turn. If it doesn't happen as predicted, I'll be on the phone asking them to get the canvas off and tie her down.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers
All the best to everyone on the east coast.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #27
Ben
Guru

Storm alert

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1404333617.476644.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	31030

Moving from the beach to the Cape Fear River. Safe beats Sorry.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Moving from the beach to the Cape Fear River. Safe beats Sorry.
Good. What you had posted before kind of indicated that you were going to stay at Carolina Beach. I would think up the river would be safer. My sister and her husband are apparently going to let their trawler stay in the marina at Carolina Beach. Not what I would do, but they are grownups. :-)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Ben, you probably made a wise decision. Inlet watch is directly across ICW from CB inlet. Not much to break the wind nor surge. Further down the canal at CB, better protection there. River can get sketchy, esp if we get a strong southerly, but if it follow forcast track, we won't.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #30
Ben
Guru

All - two things convinced me to move
1. Upgrade to cat 1
2. I signed a hurricane reservation in May with Bennett Brothers - convenient.
3. My marina is directly across from CB Inlet
4. High tide when storm passes at 2am
5. Not sure of other boats conditions around me - only in marina 2 weeks
6. Condos around marina might have loose items
7. Boat stacks adjacent to slip. Loose items risk. Also hate to have a Carolina Skiff blown off a rack into my boat.

There. I think that was just two things...

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #31
Guru

What would you do if you're on an extended cruise on the ICW far from home and a hurricane is approaching? I'm not sure asking the locals where the best hurricane holes are is going to help. You can almost bank on the fact that the best places are going to be taken. Most marinas will have no room either.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
What would you do if you're on an extended cruise on the ICW far from home and a hurricane is approaching? I'm not sure asking the locals where the best hurricane holes are is going to help. You can almost bank on the fact that the best places are going to be taken. Most marinas will have no room either.
Actually...for Sandy...the best Hurricane hole south of Atlantic City on the coast was empty...I was the only "transient" with thousands of feet of bulkhead available....

Only a fraction of boaters know how to properly deal with something like a hurricane. Many of them own trailerable boats or larger boats that can get a long distance out of the way quickly.

Then there's the pull it and store it on land...but if you are a transient...by the time you get to many marinas..you might be so far down the list as to not make it out of the water in time. Also...too many marinas right along the coast really aren't set up for much more than very mild Cat Is or tropical storms. The boat spacing with no tie downs is a recipe for disaster that the insurance companies are really only beginning to address with them.

Me...I would go to Google earth and see what's available in the timeframe I have. Move too early and the storm never comes your way and it's a waste of time. Move too late and bad things can happen. The trick is to be able to get some place in 24 or so hours and have enough time to set up and yes the "well known" or "classic" holes are all taken in places known for hurricane strikes. Places like NJ, Georgia or the Chesapeake just don't see enough so it does depend where you are.

I look for places that will allow me to float higher (at least 10 feet), yet be set below terrain or tall immovable objects and have any open fetch (of probable wind directions) of no more than 1/10 mile or so.

If none of those areas are available within 50 miles or so for my 6 knot boat...I would start moving more than 24 hrs out in the direction of lesser probable hit until I had at least 2 decent areas to get to in the final 24 hrs.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Timjet

Isn't a hurricane season long distance cruise for non locals a bit risky? Why do it?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Timjet

Isn't a hurricane season long distance cruise for non locals a bit risky? Why do it?
Statistically probably not.....
However he's done it so why rub it in?
Bill
Old 07-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Timjet

Yes.
But no fronts to deal with which can be frequent in the winter months and quite challenging.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #36

City: Redlands
I completed the Great Loop with a side trip to the Bahamas in April. As a life long west coast guy these storms offer a steep learning curve for me.

I'm currently at Atlantic Yacht Basin, a good hurricane hole behind the Great Bridge Lock and likely out of Arthur's track.

I will be cruising the Chesapeake this summer so I may have the chance to learn even more. I really appreciate the wisdom/advice given here.

Arch
Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
The 11 AM forecast from the National Hurricane Center now predicts that Arthur will hit Category 2 strength at its closest approach to the coast (which I guess is about at Wilmington -- not sure).
Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #38
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Timjet

That's why my wife convinced me to do our cruise in the spring, not the fall. No chance of hurricanes.

We were nearing Belhaven, NC and our first two choices of marinas would not take any boats. One would not even answer the phone.

So we're in the River Forest boatyard, not the marina. It's on a sheltered creek and they're going to tie us to both sides tonight. They charge extra for storm dockage. A lot extra. I should have stayed in Norfolk.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's why my wife convinced me to do our cruise in the spring, not the fall. No chance of hurricanes.

We were nearing Belhaven, NC and our first two choices of marinas would not take any boats. One would not even answer the phone.

So we're in the River Forest boatyard, not the marina. It's on a sheltered creek and they're going to tie us to both sides tonight. They charge extra for storm dockage. A lot extra. I should have stayed in Norfolk.
Ron good luck to you and your wife. This named storm came on quickly.
Bill
Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #40
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Given that you usually have a minimum 24 hour notice, a deep narrow river is easy to find. Hunker down, break out the board games.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC