Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Storing lines?

In my old boat I made use of some polyform line straps to make it easier to store the lines. I screwed them into the back wall of the lazarette. Made for a quick way to get the lines out without untying anything, while hanging them allowed them to dry.

I saw this posted somewhere and wonder if anyone else has tried something like it.

The downside would be having to tie/untie the lines from the rails. Especially while standing over an open locker. I could double up using rails like that and then the straps but then I'd hanging the lines pretty low once the hatch was closed.

Anyone else come up with a novel solution for stowing lines in a cockpit locker?
Attached Thumbnails
lines hung in starboard locker.jpg  
Old 05-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We have two SS hooks mounted on the underside of the hatch near the top when it is open. Half way down are very small SS eyes which very small bungees hook into. The lines are hung on the hooks and the bungee is drawn across the coil, holding the lines in place when the hatch is closed. Works really well and is easy. We have two of the same hooks mounted on the aft wall of the cabin facing the cockpit to serve as more line storage. Not on the boat so no photo. If I remember, I’ll try and get one some time.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...ABEgKXm_D_BwE#

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I don't ever store my lines when they're even damp. If they're wet I hang them over one of the steps on the ladder to the flybridge. After a couple of days I'll bring them down, coil them over my forearm and toss them in a storage locker on the transom.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. GFC. Dry lines, for sure. We have a dedicated locker in the v-berth for extra line storage. Working lines are secured to rails on deck using line hangers...

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. GFC. Dry lines, for sure. We have a dedicated locker in the v-berth for extra line storage. Working lines are secured to rails on deck using line hangers...

That's how we rolled too.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I have had this one for over 38 years and it works great. Never have to worry about wet lines. They are always dry, coiled and ready for the next destination. If you can find one like this I would highly recommend it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	76445
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
I agree I picked this one about 27 years ago.

But all kidding aside I would love a better way but if they are in the locker they are dry
Attached Thumbnails
MsPamelasalonprt.jpg  
Old 05-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I have them on the starboard hand rail (the Marquipt steps are under the port handrail). They were originally on velcro but I am replacing those with the rubber reusable twist ties from Home Depot. which work extremely well.
Attached Thumbnails
Lines.jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Well shucks... that's what today's article is about. Well, that and small boat stuff -- using old halyards to make dock lines. It's what I did last autumn in anticipation for the February thing. That didn't work out for me, I'm sad to say.

But I digress...
After rinsing with fresh water before being stashed I hang them in the cockpit:

I would prefer to put away salt-free dry lines.

Once dry I installed two eye-bolts in my starboard cockpit locker. A line between the two supports the flaked lines:

(flaked, not coiled)

The article is here: Docklines from Halyards (snubber too) article on janice142
Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
A fellow dock mate in Maryland made two canisters from 8"PVC pipe that fit perfectly in the fender holders on the bow. The bottom had a few holes so the canister could drain. Although I thought it was genius, we still haven't implemented it yet. It fit so well, I thought it was professional. Just a section of pvc and two caps though. ...
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
A fellow dock mate in Maryland made two canisters from 8"PVC pipe that fit perfectly in the fender holders on the bow. The bottom had a few holes so the canister could drain. Although I thought it was genius, we still haven't implemented it yet. It fit so well, I thought it was professional. Just a section of pvc and two caps though. ...
That is a great Idea
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
Not sure that rigging up something with PVC is all that great an idea for being out in direct sunlight. Most PVC piping isn't rated for direct UV exposure and it'd get brittle over time. That and I'd think better airflow would be preferable instead of just resting inside a tube.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
Guru

I mentioned how the PO had setup some line storage on Kinship, but here is a photo. You can see the three small SS eyes that are screwed into the hatch. There are small bungees that were trapped in the center eye and used to hold the lines against the hatch cover when closed. The lines have never come off and there is enough ventilation in the hatch that they always dry out nicely.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	76498

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I mentioned how the PO had setup some line storage on Kinship, but here is a photo. You can see the three small SS eyes that are screwed into the hatch. There are small bungees that were trapped in the center eye and used to hold the lines against the hatch cover when closed. The lines have never come off and there is enough ventilation in the hatch that they always dry out nicely.
Attachment 76498
Yes, I think that's the route we're going to take as well. The use of bungees to help hold them up, and being hung from hooks should offer the least complicated way to store and retrieve them. Coil them as per usual, on a hook and then snap the bungee across the lower section. The only downside/question is how many hooks. A rail would allow more, but then we're back to tying them off.

Of course in digging through various hatches I discover one or two are missing their little cam that holds them down to the deck. Looks like I'll have a few pieces to get from Izerwaren. That and the gas lift strut on one has quit.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Yes, I think that's the route we're going to take as well. The use of bungees to help hold them up, and being hung from hooks should offer the least complicated way to store and retrieve them. Coil them as per usual, on a hook and then snap the bungee across the lower section. The only downside/question is how many hooks. A rail would allow more, but then we're back to tying them off.

Of course in digging through various hatches I discover one or two are missing their little cam that holds them down to the deck. Looks like I'll have a few pieces to get from Izerwaren. That and the gas lift strut on one has quit.

You will notice that the hooks are rather large. I can loop three coils of 5/8" line on each one. If you look close you will see that there is a stainless eye between the hanging coils and then one on either side. The bungee is trapped in the center eye and stretched from center out over the coil. That way there is never a loss of the bungee. One of them needs to be replaced. It was there when I bought the boat and I think is probably about 7 years old.

FWIW, I have two of those same stainless hooks on the back wall of the saloon mounted one above the other on the port side. It is just on the other side of the ladder to the fly-bridge. I usually have four lines hanging on those two hooks and just leave them there. Those lines are adequate for most of the docking we do when traveling. Our home dock has permanent lines that stay on the dock. It is under cover, easy to grab, they don't go anywhere, and are out of the way. Rain will get them wet, but they dry out. I use the lazarrette hatch to store additional lines that I may need.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We just hang them off the aft cabin rails with a clove hitch. Half port, half starboard.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
We just hang them off the aft cabin rails with a clove hitch. Half port, half starboard.
Same here...both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
FW Sunset1.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We have two SS hooks mounted on the underside of the hatch near the top when it is open. Half way down are very small SS eyes which very small bungees hook into. The lines are hung on the hooks and the bungee is drawn across the coil, holding the lines in place when the hatch is closed. Works really well and is easy.
On my Eastbay there's a curved stairway coming down the flybridge. I've used that several times now to store lines. A gasket coil and then the running end tied off to a rail. Works well for drying wet lines but not how I'd like to store them longer-term.

Sugatsune also makes one with an additional inward curve to the hook. But it's triple the price!

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...php?p_ref=9717

My interest is in having the lines staying on the hook through bumpy conditions. No sense arranging to put the lines on hooks only to have them fall off and then have to climb down to retrieve them. That and my forward bow lockers don't really have enough length to accommodate the lines laying fully against them when open. That inward hook part better allow for dropping the lines over it and not having to use bungies at all.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Guru

Still haven't had this bubble up to the top of my to-do list... but it's inching upward...

Anyone used bungees with the ball on them?

I prefer to avoid hooks, especially the metal kind, due to corrosion and potential jabbing/cutting hazards when hands are wet. Additionally I'd want to avoid anything that wasn't secured on one side. No point in having the added hassle of a cord popping loose and going overboard.

I seem to recall seeing something on a boat (possibly at a boat show) that used the ball on a bungee with a socket of some sort for it. As in, just stretch the bungee by that ball in/out of a socket. But google image searching hasn't led me to anything like it.

Oh... a bit of paging along looking for a picture and I came across a Bungee Receiver that might be sort of what I'm after.

Not necessarily with the loop/ball bungee but with one side secured and the other with a ball that could go in/out of this receiver socket.
Attached Thumbnails
12-Inch-Black-Bungee-Ball-Tie-Loop-600x600.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #20

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
Bill,
This may be what you are referring to

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190614-165631_Chrome.jpg  
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote