Old 06-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Yes, that's closer to the idea. But it also opens up another avenue of search terms and images. So, thanks for that!

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2561692

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronst...2-pack--142604
Attached Thumbnails
142604.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
Guru

In addition to the lockers under the cockpit, I also have two at the bow, alongside the anchor locker. Using a hook on the underside of their lid is problematic as that would likely jab a fender that might be placed in there. Using one of these line hangers might be a interesting alternative.

The challenge is how well something holds the lines when the hatch is lifted vertical AND when the hatch is closed. Because on these lockers the hatch isn't tall enough to allow the line to be stowed against it. The line bundle would have to drape down into the locker when the hatch was opened, and then hang from this when the locker is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
starboard anchor locker.jpg  
Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Still haven't had this bubble up to the top of my to-do list... but it's inching upward...

Anyone used bungees with the ball on them?

I prefer to avoid hooks, especially the metal kind, due to corrosion and potential jabbing/cutting hazards when hands are wet. Additionally I'd want to avoid anything that wasn't secured on one side. No point in having the added hassle of a cord popping loose and going overboard.

I seem to recall seeing something on a boat (possibly at a boat show) that used the ball on a bungee with a socket of some sort for it. As in, just stretch the bungee by that ball in/out of a socket. But google image searching hasn't led me to anything like it.

Oh... a bit of paging along looking for a picture and I came across a Bungee Receiver that might be sort of what I'm after.

Not necessarily with the loop/ball bungee but with one side secured and the other with a ball that could go in/out of this receiver socket.

As I mentioned I have two SS hooks that are mounted on the back wall of the saloon on the port side of the aft cockpit, behind the ladder up to the flybridge. (The same that are under the hatch covers). They always have two sets of lines hanging on each. Despite some very horrendous seas that I stupidly got myself into, and lots of episodes of high wind, I’ve never had the lines fall off.

If you have an out of the way location with a vertical bulkhead, a simple hook works well. Not sure what your curved steps look like but I would imagine there would be a good place to put something there.

I am not a fan of bungees. (I would like to find a replacement for the bungees that are under the hatch cover). The type that you pictured are better than most however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #24
Guru

Agreed, if I had places outside for the hooks I'd consider it. But we use this boat recreationally more than anything else, so having lines stored outside during days we're not using the boat seems like a waste. And kinda looks messy (or so I've been told by the wife).

For ready access we've had good success leaving a long enough tail to secure them to the handrail on the flybridge stairs. Handy for short trips between stops.

It'd be nice to have a way to secure two lines at the bow to make it simpler for my wife that's often handling the bow lines. Pop open the hatch, retrieve a line and then a fender. As opposed to "oh, go back to the stern, get a line and then do it over again for a fender". Meanwhile the seconds tick away while current and wind conditions challenge the docking plan... and soon we're veering perilously close to violating one of the most important boating rules... "you can't un-yell at your spouse".

I share your perspective on bungees. They're rarely suitable for anything other than temporary use, but they often get left set up permanently. And then fail when least convenient. At the very least I'd want to make sure they're at least replaceable without undue hassle.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #25

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
I have used the rail mount version of the Schaefer, the second pic in post #21 on both our former sailboat and our current Mainship Pilot. The line is not a bungee but a small, 1/8"?, line. They are easily replaced or shortened as needed. They have worked well for me, even under heeling on the sailboat.. On the Mainship, I mounted a rail in the cockpit under the gunwale on each side with 3 of these. Furthest forward is bow line, then spring, then stern.

Good luck in your quest
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic1 View Post
I have used the rail mount version of the Schaefer, the second pic in post #21 on both our former sailboat and our current Mainship Pilot. The line is not a bungee but a small, 1/8"?, line. They are easily replaced or shortened as needed. They have worked well for me, even under heeling on the sailboat.. On the Mainship, I mounted a rail in the cockpit under the gunwale on each side with 3 of these. Furthest forward is bow line, then spring, then stern.

Good luck in your quest
Thanks, I don't expect to find the perfect solution, or expect what I'm after will make sense to anyone else... but find it helpful to hear how others have approached the problem.

The hassle is the bow locker lids slope downward when closed. Not by a lot, but potentially enough to make it a challenge for anything handling a load to avoid pulling off. So finding something with a wide range of holding angles is kind of key to this particular need. The cockpit lockers are flat, so there wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #27
Guru

I don't have a picture of it, but the finish on my original anchor locker hatches failed. The coating delaminated and the underlying wood got saturated and likewise started to delaminate. My wood guy came up with a nice solution using HDPE panels and some wood dogs that turn to hold them in place. I mention this because a similar arrangement could be considered as a way to further ensure a line didn't pop out if the molded part isn't deep enough.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
For line storage when wet we have two 4’ long rails mounted on the bottom of our sundeck hardtop that we hang the wet lines with a clove hitch. When they are dry we put them either in a bow mounted dock box or a sundeck mounted large Igloo cooler. I replaced two rod holders with the rails for hanging wet lines, jackets or towels. We added the dock box on the bow for dock lines and backup anchor lines. The cooler on the sundeck is for dock lines and enclosure panels that we have down temporarily. For bungees I make my own up with S/S hooks and S/S hog rings. I make them up to the size that is needed.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Agreed, if I had places outside for the hooks I'd consider it. But we use this boat recreationally more than anything else, so having lines stored outside during days we're not using the boat seems like a waste. And kinda looks messy (or so I've been told by the wife).

Yeah, a lot of my decisions are made based on my wife’s sense of what is aesthetically acceptable. While I might consider those concerns as less than practical, logical, sensible, or even in the neighborhood of what might be considered sane and rational, I keep those thoughts mostly to myself.

Since our back cockpit is covered, the hanging lines don’t get too wet even in our climate. However, when it is rainy and blowing they get a good fresh water rinse. They are protected from the sun which would be a bigger concern.

The under the hatch storage works great for being hidden away. I agree with you about storage in the bow. When we are moving from dock to dock a lot, I’ll hang the bow lines on the forward rails as you do. That is also where I hang the two legs of my anchor bridle between anchorages when we are on the move. But I don’t have good protected storage for lines.

I’ve a port side anchor locker that doesn’t have rode it in and I’ve been trying to think of a way to mount something on the inside of the hull where I could hang lines. So far, I’ve not had any particularly great ideas.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Maybe glass a plywood block to the hull so you can screw a line hanger to the plywood?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #31
Guru

One thought I had for hanging lines inside my forward bow locker is to use epoxy to mount two perforator base studs to the hull reasonably high up inside the locker. Then I could cut a lenght of teak, starboard, or even marine plywood, drill holes through near either end for the studs and use SS nuts to secure it. Then I could mount hooks to the teak/starboard/wood or drill and drive pegs into it, or something else to hang lines from. If that solution doesn’t work out, I can easily remove it and try again with something else since the base stubs would be “permanent”.

Ideally, in a bow locker I want to be able to easy hang a line and just as easily remove it. As such, I wouldn’t want anything that I would have to reach far into the locker to remove or place, anything that would take two hands, and ideally something that could easily be done without looking at it. That is where something as simple as pegs would work well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1334045.jpg

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Maybe these organizers..........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I make several versions of line, hose & power cord holders using 1- 1/4" wide vinyl chair strapping and either common sense fasteners, lift the dot or snaps depending on the location & use.
Usually common sense works best and us secure.
They can be rail mounted w 2 loops one short around the rail and one long enough for the item being held.
I sometimes mount these firm to a surface by using 2 screws through the common sense base and the vinyl into the mounting surface so the strap stays put whether in use or not.
On previous boat I hung a coiled hose on the anchor locker lid similar to what you are looking to do. It was always connected to the wash down faucet inside the locker. When the lid opened I could still access the locker without removing the hose... worked very well. In that case the strap I made was a piece of hollow nylon webbing that I inserted a stiffener... you can use any thin flat materialm wood, fiberglass, alum... one end was screwed in place the other end I used a common sense twist fastener. Insert the "strap" through the center of the hose coil and fasten in place.
I can't provide pics of that one as the boat us sold but can snap & post a few of the rail or surface mounted ones if desired.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #34
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

For ready access we've had good success leaving a long enough tail to secure them to the handrail on the flybridge stairs. Handy for short trips between stops.

We're lucky enough to have a boatload of rocket launchers on the flybridge rail... and I make up lines so I can use their own spliced loops as hangers over each launcher.

They're exposed to sunlight, not so great, but they last for years anyway... and the trade-off of handy storage and immediate access is worth it to us.

-Chris
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Wet lines are coiled and draped over a bench seat in the dinghy to dry, out of the way. Once dry, lines are stored in a bench locker solely for that purpose. I try to avoid leaving lines in the sun when not if use as it tends to make them stiffer and weaker over time. Also find they stay cleaner when stored in a locker.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #36
Guru

Lots of good comments in this thread, thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
My question is how well does that kind of organizer hold itself 'closed' if attached to the underside of a locker hatch? I think I'm going to order a couple of different kinds and experiment.

Movement is a hassle with attaching anything to the hull using plywood. If there's any flex you need to use adhesives that'll account for it. I had a previous boat with the freshwater pump mounted to a board that was stuck to the insider of the hull near the bow. There was just enough thumping from wave action when underway to cause the board to pop loose. This coupled with the weight of the pump. I don't know what they used to attach it from the factory but it didn't hold. 4200 seemed to correct that.

For my forward lockers that's not ideal. Right now, with careful coiling of the lines and whip to the fender it requires either kneeling and reaching down into the locker or using a boat hook.

A sudden realization occurs to be... I have to wonder how well the hatch will stay open with anything attached to it.... The aft cockpit hatches have gas lifts assisting their opening and holding them open. But the forward lockers are just hinged, with no gas struts. Hanging a line from the hatch wouldn't make it excessively heavy to open but might present problems with it staying open. That and their shape would not lend well to adding any kind of gas lift (it'd have to be placed dead-center, right where a line would hang).

I may have to rethink the forward lockers. Good to get a chance to pause on an idea before buying stuff and drilling holes, eh?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #37
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Quote:
Not sure that rigging up something with PVC is all that great an idea for being out in direct sunlight. Most PVC piping isn't rated for direct UV exposure and it'd get brittle over time. That and I'd think better airflow would be preferable instead of just resting inside a tube.
Actually PVC pipe will withstand the sun quite well. It does help though if painted. The paint offers another layer of protection and maybe you want a different colour. If you do paint it though for best adhesion lightly sand and then wipe down with solvent, paint thinner, to remove any wax residue which most PVC pipe has to help with the extrusion process. PVC can be sticky.
I have painted for my own use without getting carried away with the dewaxing.

We used PVC pipe out of doors at work for water lines on cooling towers and such. They were years old and still good. The PVC is full of pigments which block penetration of UV.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:

A sudden realization occurs to be... I have to wonder how well the hatch will stay open with anything attached to it.... The aft cockpit hatches have gas lifts assisting their opening and holding them open. But the forward lockers are just hinged, with no gas struts. Hanging a line from the hatch wouldn't make it excessively heavy to open but might present problems with it staying open. That and their shape would not lend well to adding any kind of gas lift (it'd have to be placed dead-center, right where a line would hang).

I may have to rethink the forward lockers. Good to get a chance to pause on an idea before buying stuff and drilling holes, eh?

I was wondering about the hatch staying open as well. In my case, the hatch is large, opens just past vertical (so the hanging lines are pulling it closed), and it has gas struts. My own forward hatches in the bow I don’t think would work well with that system.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #39
Guru

The starting point for the forward lockers is that it would be helpful if the lines and fenders stored in the forward lockers were retrievable quickly.

Getting to them now requires either kneeling and reaching or fishing around for the line with a boat hook. It occurs to me the whole line bundle itself doesn't need to be hung (and would probably present problems with keeping the hatch open). Also, that wouldn't help retrieving the fender.

What might work up there would be some cam cleats.

https://www.defender.com/category.js...971&id=2259989

Coil the lines, as we do already, and snug the tail into a cam cleat. Likewise the same for the fender whip. Two (or more) of these on the underside of hatch could do this. The fender has more than enough length to make this work. A coil of line would probably need more bitter end than we typically allow now, but that's easy enough to re-learn. Otherwise the hanging weight would likely pull the line out of the cam when the hatch was closed. Putting them lower on the hatch would also help avoid issues with a hanging weight pulling the hatch shut.

A past problem I've had for lines up there has been moisture. I've since cleared the drains and have bought some Dri-Dek tiles. That should probably alleviate the lines getting wet/damp.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #40
Guru

Now the question turns back to the cockpit lockers. My goals are two-fold. One is easy retrieval of a small number of lines for transient docking. The other is a way to reliably retrieve specific length lines. Right now I end up with a pile in the bottom of the locker and I have to fish among the coils to a) just get one and b) go fishing again to get the correct lengths.

My thought was if I hung them under the hatch it'd make them easier to retrieve and distinguish their lengths. But with 5/8" and 3/4" lines there starts to be an issue with weight.

This thread gives me some new things to think about when I get to the boat this weekend....