Storage routine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roysmith123

Hi, I wanted to share what I do before storing my boat in a storage space.
The first thing I did was to find a self-storage facility in Burlington.
Before storing, I change the oil and refresh the coolant system. I drain out the current coolant and fill it with antifreeze after diluting as per the manufacturer's instructions.
I spray fogging oil through the sparking plug hole. I loosen the drive belts, but you can also remove them entirely because keeping them for long under tension can cause them to crack.
I also remember to grease the steering.
And about the battery, I don’t remove them. I disconnect them and top it off with distilled water. And once in awhile, I charge it to make sure it’s set to go.
I always remember to fill my gas tank before storing.
Before storing I clean my boat thoroughly inside and out and wax it. As wax can prevent rust from corroding the boat’s body.
After doing all this I cover my boat to protect it from dirt, dust and other kinds of things.
These are my routine. Am I doing it all right.? Is there anything more I should know about.? If anyone has any suggestion. Please help me.

Battery - more important is a fully charged batt will not freeze. A discharged one will which will destroy it and may split the case allowing electrolyte to leak out. A charge after the top off with distilled water should be done. Mild. the new water will be mixed in by the charging. Otherwise maybe the layer of fresh will freeze.

Water tanks, hot water tank, feed lines - to faucets should be emptied, blown out and/or rv antifreezed. Water pockets can freeze. Don't rv a/f the HWT as it can be the dickens to get the taste out. Just get the water out and what is left should not be enough to cause trouble.

engine cooling - raw water side rv antifreezed especially if the raw water is fresh as trapped water remaining can freeze.

ventilation - must be provided for or mildew may make its nasty presence known.

critter control - mice , rats, otters, muskrats[fresh water] can do a lot of damage if not blocked or dealt with/prevented.

Seacocks should be opened if stored on land so no water remains.
--- If in the water stored a good seacock will have a drain hole to release the water trapped in the ball or plug. There will be some.

I also plug both the engine intakes and the exhaust outlet to stop air circulation through open valves. THe rags I use are stuffed into a plastic bag and the rags WD40 soaked.

Sounds like your boat is in a heated shed on a trailer or blocked up so some of this may not be needed but I offer it for any others reading that may find it usefull.

Battery - more important is a fully charged batt will not freeze. A discharged one will which will destroy it and may split the case allowing electrolyte to leak out. A charge after the top off with distilled water should be done. Mild. the new water will be mixed in by the charging. Otherwise maybe the layer of fresh will freeze.

Water tanks, hot water tank, feed lines - to faucets should be emptied, blown out and/or rv antifreezed. Water pockets can freeze. Don't rv a/f the HWT as it can be the dickens to get the taste out. Just get the water out and what is left should not be enough to cause trouble.

engine cooling - raw water side rv antifreezed especially if the raw water is fresh as trapped water remaining can freeze.

ventilation - must be provided for or mildew may make its nasty presence known.

critter control - mice , rats, otters, muskrats[fresh water] can do a lot of damage if not blocked or dealt with/prevented.

Seacocks should be opened if stored on land so no water remains.
--- If in the water stored a good seacock will have a drain hole to release the water trapped in the ball or plug. There will be some.

I also plug both the engine intakes and the exhaust outlet to stop air circulation through open valves. THe rags I use are stuffed into a plastic bag and the rags WD40 soaked.

Sounds like your boat is in a heated shed on a trailer or blocked up so some of this may not be needed but I offer it for any others reading that may find it usefull.

Thank you so much for your reply... I'll make sure to check these details...

Roy
A few questions:
-- Is the storage unit heated?
-- What kind and size of vessel?
-- What motor and systems?
-- Are you following each of the vessel's systems storage recommendations
-- How many hours per season do you run?

Back
Top Bottom