Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Stopped by the Coasties

Today as we proceeded north through Maryland, we were flagged down by a USCG patrol boat. They said that they wanted to perform a boat safety inspection. I said that we were recently inspected by the CG Auxilliary and that the sticker was on the forward window. They pulled their boat forward to check it out. They asked how many people were aboard and I told them my wife and myself. They asked me to please hold up 2 adult life jackets which I did. They thanked me and wished me a good day. Never boarded us.

Proof positive for the voluntary inspection by the USCG Auxilliary.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Good news. What part of MD?
Islanddreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
One time for the hundreds that they ignore....but lucky for you they did as I am sure it would have been a waste of both parties time.

When I was a regional operations officer....it was pretty common policy to ignore those stickers for many reasons....I doubt that has changed much.

In some areas the USCGAUX is held in higher regard than other areas....so a sticker is nice but no guarantee for no boarding....even a recent boarding form can go either way.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: AR
A CGAUX inspection sticker is a lot like taking vitamin C to ward off a cold...it may or may not work, but it can't hurt. And the inspection might reveal a problem you weren't aware of yet.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
USCG boarding

Greetings,

I have been boarded twice in the past couple of months. Even with the last yellow boarding sheet in hand the youngsters desired to exercise their boarding technique.
Always gentlemanly or lady like as the case may be. Actually enjoy visiting with them and thank them for their service.
It may be peaceful here in South East Alaska, yet these lads and lasses could just as well be boarding drug boats and such under different circumstance.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben Pocket Cruiser
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I was an inspector for the US Power Squadron. Surprised at how many boats in which I found a problem of which the owner was unaware.

Having a second set of eyes looking at your boat can't hurt and is definitely worth the price - it's free.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
Guru

The problem with the USCGAUX in my experience as a boater and a former supervisor of several flotillas......

Is just like here on TF, newer boaters think because of the uniform, everything they say must be true.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Sure, good and bad ones...the problem is when they go beyond the checklist and try to explain or pass along urban myths.

Sure a check is fine, let them do the checklists....listen to what they say..then verify just like everyone here advises to do with anything but basic info.

If you have frequent contact with them or know the individual and their background...then of course it is a different story.

So for all new boaters...All I am saying is don't let a USCGAUX, or even a USCG uniform sway you about what you are told about general boating info. They may not necessarily have any more experience than you.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
One more point for early-season boaters: If the CG or local LE are tasked with doing boardings, they are going to do boardings. If you're the only boat out on the water, you'll get boarded even if they just did it yesterday. With more targets to choose from, they're more likely to go after the boats that look like they have problems, or that don't have a sticker.

When I did vessel examinations, I developed a reputation as a "hard ass." I'd spend a lot of time on each boat, and even withhold the sticker from friends if I found something wrong.

A guy from the PS also visited our marina. He was an old-timer who would pretty much stand on the finger pier, ask to see life jackets and such, then hand over the sticker every time.

Some people preferred that, but most came to me for a "real" inspection.

PS: psneeld was posting as I was writing this. He's 100% correct. Especially watch for the old guys who think they know it all. The ones who insist you shake your extinguishers, or who only understand "Y" valves but have no clue about how macerators work. Fortunately that crowd is fading away, but there are new myths and legends passed down the ranks all the time. Best to find a competent examiner and stick with him/her.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
When I called for an inspection, I talked with him about our LectraSan, he had never seen one, talking about not discharging waste overboard. So I shared with him how it worked, that it was legal, etc... So I printed out some operating info and when he came I showed him how it worked. And he was happy to see it. I got my sticker, that was in 2014.

So we go to watch fireworks July 4 at Yorktowne, afterwards USCG boat pulls up, I saw them notice our sticker and no boarding. They were quite nice.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Guru

After a 4th of July fireworks...

I would guess their mission profile was screening for BUI, negligent operation, and assistance.

Being involved with a full boarding would take away from those more critical mission objectives.

As been said, stickers don't hurt (mostly) but no real protection from boarding. I just dislike the boaters who could use the boarding the most, are the most susceptible to misinformation.

If I thought they would really work, I would get one because a boarding at the dock is always preferable to an open water boarding.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I like getting boarded.

There, I said it.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
Guru

Maybe an added category on Active Captain...places where frequent boarding take place.

Lovet to see the remarks some reviews.....
Old 04-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Greetings,

I have been boarded twice in the past couple of months. Even with the last yellow boarding sheet in hand the youngsters desired to exercise their boarding technique.
Always gentlemanly or lady like as the case may be. Actually enjoy visiting with them and thank them for their service.
It may be peaceful here in South East Alaska, yet these lads and lasses could just as well be boarding drug boats and such under different circumstance.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben Pocket Cruiser
Sorry to say, this is more about a bureaucracy with nothing to do.

It seems Alaska in particular has too many of any federal agency with the result that they find work to do.

Customs at ANC is just as bad.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #14
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I don't mind being boarded, though it never seems to happen. Most of the USCGA's around here (as well as other water cops) tend to concentrate on the bow riders and GFBL's to do their inspections.

I usually call the local sheriff's dept to get an inspection done at my dock so we can take our time and do it right. I did that just this past week and passed with flying colors.

It's not often that the water cops around here get to inspect larger boats. There just are not that many around. As I go through the checklist with them I usually end up having to explain why my stern light is mounted where it is and some of the other peculiarities of the bigger boats.

It becomes a learning session for them and they appreciate being able to do the inspection.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Never been boarded by the USCG over 30 year of non-continuous boating. The local USCG is at the opposite end of the marina. They "zoom" by frequently, but seem to have more important business elsewhere.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You haven't been really "boarded" until the French authorities come aboard to search for guns (American flagged boats it seems). Last event was about 75 minutes with three guys and an electronic gadget for searching behind walls.

Actually it was quite entertaining and they were as polite as can be. They appear to keep a computer list as they mentioned the last time we were boarded was three years ago.

Haven't heard of anyone being boarded in the English speaking islands of the Eastern Caribbean. All sorts of reasons for that and we are thankful.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Come to think of it, about the only laws enforcement inspections I've observed on water have been by the state fish and game commission. (Not affecting me, as I "fish" at the local supermarket and seafood restaurant.)
Old 04-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #18
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hummmmmmm- See one of my responses to Wxx3 regarding the U.S.Forest Service has been moved. Was there now it is gone gone gone. O Well,

Today on my way out to the fishing grounds, a third boarding party along side. Again, nice young folks doing their job. Very pleasant encounter. Thanked them for their service.

Al-Ketchikan-
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #19
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Our Camano was boarded by the CG in Lake Washington in 2006. Two young guys (they all seem young now). I think they were used to boarding ski boats and runabouts. One of the first things they asked about was my bilge blower. I told them a diesel boat didn't require one. They had to look it up. Then they asked where my bell was. I told them that since we were only 31 feet long we didn't need one, and also that was no longer a requirement on larger boats. They looked that up too. After a few more questions and referring to the rule book a few more times they decided I passed. It was very entertaining.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
All of my encounters with LEOs and the USCG have been exceptionally courteous and professional. For the most part, they are good folks trying to do an important job. I also have seen the USCG in action protecting and safeguarding recreational boaters in my area. Quite simply, I love these guys and gals.

BTW, I also had indirect experience with the Canadian CG reserve. When my Dad had a stroke while anchored in Telegraph Harbor, the reservists from Ladysmith came out to render assistance. They not only took great care of my Dad and Mom at that moment, but they also later came out as civilians and towed their boat to a marina and secure moorage. It was there waiting for us 2 weeks later. My Dad had died and my Mom, sister and I flew up to bring the boat back home. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about them.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote