Stopped by the Coasties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Today as we proceeded north through Maryland, we were flagged down by a USCG patrol boat. They said that they wanted to perform a boat safety inspection. I said that we were recently inspected by the CG Auxilliary and that the sticker was on the forward window. They pulled their boat forward to check it out. They asked how many people were aboard and I told them my wife and myself. They asked me to please hold up 2 adult life jackets which I did. They thanked me and wished me a good day. Never boarded us.

Proof positive for the voluntary inspection by the USCG Auxilliary. :dance:

Good news. What part of MD?

One time for the hundreds that they ignore....but lucky for you they did as I am sure it would have been a waste of both parties time.

When I was a regional operations officer....it was pretty common policy to ignore those stickers for many reasons....I doubt that has changed much.

In some areas the USCGAUX is held in higher regard than other areas....so a sticker is nice but no guarantee for no boarding....even a recent boarding form can go either way.

A CGAUX inspection sticker is a lot like taking vitamin C to ward off a cold...it may or may not work, but it can't hurt. And the inspection might reveal a problem you weren't aware of yet.

USCG boarding

Greetings,

I have been boarded twice in the past couple of months. Even with the last yellow boarding sheet in hand the youngsters desired to exercise their boarding technique.
Always gentlemanly or lady like as the case may be. Actually enjoy visiting with them and thank them for their service.
It may be peaceful here in South East Alaska, yet these lads and lasses could just as well be boarding drug boats and such under different circumstance.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben Pocket Cruiser

I was an inspector for the US Power Squadron. Surprised at how many boats in which I found a problem of which the owner was unaware.

Having a second set of eyes looking at your boat can't hurt and is definitely worth the price - it's free.

Last edited:
The problem with the USCGAUX in my experience as a boater and a former supervisor of several flotillas......

Is just like here on TF, newer boaters think because of the uniform, everything they say must be true.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Sure, good and bad ones...the problem is when they go beyond the checklist and try to explain or pass along urban myths.

Sure a check is fine, let them do the checklists....listen to what they say..then verify just like everyone here advises to do with anything but basic info.

If you have frequent contact with them or know the individual and their background...then of course it is a different story.

So for all new boaters...All I am saying is don't let a USCGAUX, or even a USCG uniform sway you about what you are told about general boating info. They may not necessarily have any more experience than you.

One more point for early-season boaters: If the CG or local LE are tasked with doing boardings, they are going to do boardings. If you're the only boat out on the water, you'll get boarded even if they just did it yesterday. With more targets to choose from, they're more likely to go after the boats that look like they have problems, or that don't have a sticker.

When I did vessel examinations, I developed a reputation as a "hard ass." I'd spend a lot of time on each boat, and even withhold the sticker from friends if I found something wrong.

A guy from the PS also visited our marina. He was an old-timer who would pretty much stand on the finger pier, ask to see life jackets and such, then hand over the sticker every time.

Some people preferred that, but most came to me for a "real" inspection.

PS: psneeld was posting as I was writing this. He's 100% correct. Especially watch for the old guys who think they know it all. The ones who insist you shake your extinguishers, or who only understand "Y" valves but have no clue about how macerators work. Fortunately that crowd is fading away, but there are new myths and legends passed down the ranks all the time. Best to find a competent examiner and stick with him/her.

Last edited:
When I called for an inspection, I talked with him about our LectraSan, he had never seen one, talking about not discharging waste overboard. So I shared with him how it worked, that it was legal, etc... So I printed out some operating info and when he came I showed him how it worked. And he was happy to see it. I got my sticker, that was in 2014.

So we go to watch fireworks July 4 at Yorktowne, afterwards USCG boat pulls up, I saw them notice our sticker and no boarding. They were quite nice.

After a 4th of July fireworks...

I would guess their mission profile was screening for BUI, negligent operation, and assistance.

Being involved with a full boarding would take away from those more critical mission objectives.

As been said, stickers don't hurt (mostly) but no real protection from boarding. I just dislike the boaters who could use the boarding the most, are the most susceptible to misinformation.

If I thought they would really work, I would get one because a boarding at the dock is always preferable to an open water boarding.

Last edited:
Maybe an added category on Active Captain...places where frequent boarding take place.

Lovet to see the remarks some reviews..... :D

Greetings,

I have been boarded twice in the past couple of months. Even with the last yellow boarding sheet in hand the youngsters desired to exercise their boarding technique.
Always gentlemanly or lady like as the case may be. Actually enjoy visiting with them and thank them for their service.
It may be peaceful here in South East Alaska, yet these lads and lasses could just as well be boarding drug boats and such under different circumstance.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben Pocket Cruiser

Sorry to say, this is more about a bureaucracy with nothing to do.

It seems Alaska in particular has too many of any federal agency with the result that they find work to do.

Customs at ANC is just as bad.

I don't mind being boarded, though it never seems to happen. Most of the USCGA's around here (as well as other water cops) tend to concentrate on the bow riders and GFBL's to do their inspections.

I usually call the local sheriff's dept to get an inspection done at my dock so we can take our time and do it right. I did that just this past week and passed with flying colors.

It's not often that the water cops around here get to inspect larger boats. There just are not that many around. As I go through the checklist with them I usually end up having to explain why my stern light is mounted where it is and some of the other peculiarities of the bigger boats.

It becomes a learning session for them and they appreciate being able to do the inspection.

Never been boarded by the USCG over 30 year of non-continuous boating. The local USCG is at the opposite end of the marina. They "zoom" by frequently, but seem to have more important business elsewhere.

You haven't been really "boarded" until the French authorities come aboard to search for guns (American flagged boats it seems). Last event was about 75 minutes with three guys and an electronic gadget for searching behind walls.

Actually it was quite entertaining and they were as polite as can be. They appear to keep a computer list as they mentioned the last time we were boarded was three years ago.

Haven't heard of anyone being boarded in the English speaking islands of the Eastern Caribbean. All sorts of reasons for that and we are thankful.

Come to think of it, about the only laws enforcement inspections I've observed on water have been by the state fish and game commission. (Not affecting me, as I "fish" at the local supermarket and seafood restaurant.)

Last edited:
Hummmmmmm- See one of my responses to Wxx3 regarding the U.S.Forest Service has been moved. Was there now it is gone gone gone. O Well,

Today on my way out to the fishing grounds, a third boarding party along side. Again, nice young folks doing their job. Very pleasant encounter. Thanked them for their service.

Al-Ketchikan-

Our Camano was boarded by the CG in Lake Washington in 2006. Two young guys (they all seem young now). I think they were used to boarding ski boats and runabouts. One of the first things they asked about was my bilge blower. I told them a diesel boat didn't require one. They had to look it up. Then they asked where my bell was. I told them that since we were only 31 feet long we didn't need one, and also that was no longer a requirement on larger boats. They looked that up too. After a few more questions and referring to the rule book a few more times they decided I passed. It was very entertaining.

All of my encounters with LEOs and the USCG have been exceptionally courteous and professional. For the most part, they are good folks trying to do an important job. I also have seen the USCG in action protecting and safeguarding recreational boaters in my area. Quite simply, I love these guys and gals.

BTW, I also had indirect experience with the Canadian CG reserve. When my Dad had a stroke while anchored in Telegraph Harbor, the reservists from Ladysmith came out to render assistance. They not only took great care of my Dad and Mom at that moment, but they also later came out as civilians and towed their boat to a marina and secure moorage. It was there waiting for us 2 weeks later. My Dad had died and my Mom, sister and I flew up to bring the boat back home. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about them.

I've been boarded by the USCG twice. The best "flu shot" I have is my son's hat off the USCG Cutter Adelie out of Port Angeles. He was on a boarding party doing the same thing. The first time, we took pictures of the event and they gladly posed. They asked where we going and our response was skiing, to which one of them asked where. We showed him on the chart and he mentioned he grew up in Valdez and heard there was good skiing on the island where we were headed.

The last time was when we were the only boat around. We heaved to, the boarding officer out of Juneau came on board. I noticed he wasn't wearing a life jacket. I asked one of the Seamen if he was supposed to be wearing a life jacket. He just smiled and looked the other way. The boarding officer said he would but after snagging the inflation tag in an engine room, he gave up the practice. Then he asked if I had firearms. I said on the bridge and we went there, showed him where it was. When he couldn't figure out how to unload it, I helped him. All and all good experiences on both.

They are young men sent on a mission. Give them and chance, but make it pleasant for all involved.

Tom

Today as we proceeded north through Maryland, we were flagged down by a USCG patrol boat. They said that they wanted to perform a boat safety inspection. I said that we were recently inspected by the CG Auxilliary and that the sticker was on the forward window. They pulled their boat forward to check it out. They asked how many people were aboard and I told them my wife and myself. They asked me to please hold up 2 adult life jackets which I did. They thanked me and wished me a good day. Never boarded us.

Proof positive for the voluntary inspection by the USCG Auxilliary. :dance:

My experience was the opposite. I was boarded entering Hampton, VA last June. They called me on the radio and told me to prepare to be boarded. I told them about my "sticker" and they politely told me that they didn't give a rat's ass about the sticker, they were going to board my boat. When someone has a machine gun mounted on the front of their boat, that takes away most of your options.

They were not unpleasant or unreasonable but it was good that my wife was on board to show them the documents, PFDs, etc. because someone had to drive the boat and keep it inside the channel.

One thing I don't understand though. Why do you need a photo ID to drive or even ride on a boat but not to vote for President in some states?

Two years ago on the way home to Maryland after purchasing our boat in Florida we were boarded by the CG in St. Simon's Sound on a murky and drizzly day. The radar did not work on this boat and we were piloting from the lower helm which affords us no stern view. They came up to our stern undetected. They hailed us via VHF and ordered us to heave to. They instructed us to keep the boat at idle speed and to hold course which we did with the autopilot as we were in a wide-open sound all alone.

There were five in the boarding party, a senior enlisted in command. Although I could not tell for certain, the others were inexperienced CGs. I think they were "in training". In any case, the inspection was non-eventful. They inspected the engine room, looked for those non-nonsensical required placards, asked to see our copy of Chart 1, etc. It was all handled quite professionally.

What I found curious was that they required identification for only me, the captain, although I still don't know how they would know for certain just who was the captain. I suppose anyone on the boat could step forward and present her or himself as being the captain.

The senior enlisted had with him an electronic device in which he entered information about the boat and me (driver's license) and the results of the inspection. At the end a paper report was printed on thermal paper for me to retain in the event of another CG boarding although I was told that it wasn't necessarily a "get-out-of-jail-free" card.

Down here in South Florida where there are about a dozen agencies that can board you, I'll take the USCG any day. They are always polite and professional.

:socool:

Last edited:
We have never had a bad experience when boarded. The USCG though is the only one that does a safety inspection though. All the others are right up front about there intentions; are you there legally and are not smuggling anything. A few times we haven't been boarded, just some questions via the vhf but all good!

Attachments

• Cartagena 006.jpg
    Cartagena 006.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Curacao 008 (2).jpg
    Curacao 008 (2).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 184.jpg
    Picture 184.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P1000623.JPG
    P1000623.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 57
Why do you need a photo ID to drive or even ride on a boat but not to vote for President in some states?

The first part of that is a serious question. Is there a law that requires you to carry identification when operating a boat? I always do, but I don't recall ever seeing a law that says I need to.

The first part of that is a serious question. Is there a law that requires you to carry identification when operating a boat? I always do, but I don't recall ever seeing a law that says I need to.

I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.

Hi Dave,
Could you expound on this form? What does it entail?

Quote:
law that says I need to.I don't know of a federal law, but here in WA State we need to carry a Boater Education Card.

Dave

My question was not about a boating safety certificate, it was about a photo ID. Proof that I was who I claimed to be. I was asking why this was important for operating a boat but not for voting in national elections.

BTW: The officer asked me if I had any weapons on board (I don't, other than kitchen knives) but not at the beginning of the boarding, he asked at the end. That seemed a bit peculiar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom